Michael Jackson dead

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

smphantom
Legend

The King of Pop died of cardiac arrest at age 50 this afternoon. Weird day - first Farrah Fawcett succumbs to cancer and now Wacko Jacko. When I was a kid, Farrah got my blood flowing to a certain appendage, and I also used to dig the Jackson 5's music.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 ... index.html
Stay thirsty my friends.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Did any of you attend one of his three concerts with his brothers in his Jackson 5 Victory tour at BC Place, November 16-18, 1984?

RIP, Michael Jackson.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

A strange life.

Born black. Died white. Sort of.

He could dance. He could make music. He could sell albums. He could fill concerts. He got very rich. And later he had much legal trouble regarding children. If it was a movie, people would say: "It's just a movie. It couldn't happen in real life like that."

We heard about the surgeries on his face. And how did he manage to make his skin tone look white?

Stranger than fiction. Who'd believe any of it if we hadn't see it much of it in the news?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Eccentric doesn't begin to describe Jackson
cromartie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: We heard about the surgeries on his face. And how did he manage to make his skin tone look white?

Stranger than fiction. Who'd believe any of it if we hadn't see it much of it in the news?
Vitiligo.

And the childhood regression he experienced during the post Thriller years, while surrounded by handlers/enablers/bloodsuckers, is stunningly sad.

Just a stunningly sad life from about 1993 on. A shame.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

When the Jackson 5 performed in Vancouver in November 1984, ticket prices were around $100 - quite a bundle for 1984 costs. But all three shows were sold out.

I suppose it may have been a good thing that on Sunday, November 11, the Lions lost the 1984 WDF to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. The last of his three shows, November 18, was on the same day as the 1984 Grey Cup. Watching the BC Lions in the Grey Cup vs. Michael Jackson.... :juggle: . I'd say most would have said Michael Jackson.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tribute to Michael Jackson

Former B.C. Lions defensive stalwart Daved Benefield was moved to send this e-mail to The Province after entertainer Michael Jackson's passing:

"I feel so mortal. Michael Jackson was the Elvis of our generation. Who remembers the MJ cartoon on ABC back in the day? Who remembers when he had the jheri curl and he was brown, and had the real nose? Who remembers Wanna Be Startin' Something? Or the big, flashy video debut with Dick Clark on American Bandstand?

Who remembers how MJ made it cool for so many folks to dance? I remember the stampede of white folks who would step on my Nike Cortezes or Top Siders and be hella outta beat because all of a sudden they felt the sudden urge to dance when MJ came on. Some parties I went to I'd hear Thriller at least 50 times, and the Billy Jean tape would break from overuse.

Without MJ there'd be no Prince on MTV, without those two cats on MTV, the station would be like a John Hughes movie or like Hee Haw with music. There would be no MTV raps. No Real World or any of the shows whose development money came off the backs of these cats.

There'd be no JT, Justin Timberlake, there'd be no Usher, or even the brutal Chris Brown. Without MJ, how many years would it take for so many different races to learn to dance? Without MJ being able to incorporate the brothas moves from the streets and bring it to the mainstream stage, most folks outside the inner city would have taken years to get the courage to let it go as on America's Best Dance Crew.

Who remembers how cool it was to be able to bust penny loafers, white socks and jeans? I remember MJ busting Billy Jean on one of the black award shows, and just killing it.

I also remember him being the only performer cool enough to dance in a chair and perform. I remember him giving money to Africa before it was considered cool.

I also remember his legal troubles and all the people that took advantage of him. He had flaws, but what he gave the world is immeasurable.

"Thanks, Mike."
Great tribute to Michael Jackson. Despite his legal troubles, and despite his strangeness, the death of Michael Jackson has unleashed an amazing outpouring of grief around the world. In so many ways, it seems he was always a child, to the end. And it seems he was a great friend to many people.

I was no particular fan. But the man (boy) could sure sing, and dance, and entertain.

I would like to think that his involvement with children was innocent. And who amongst us can say for sure? If it was innocent, it was crazy, inappropriate and tragic. If it was not innocent then his wealth and fame allowed him to get away with horrific crimes.

His whole life was stranger than fiction.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:I was no particular fan. But the man (boy) could sure sing, and dance, and entertain.

I would like to think that his involvement with children was innocent. And who amongst us can say for sure? If it was innocent, it was crazy, inappropriate and tragic. If it was not innocent then his wealth and fame allowed him to get away with horrific crimes.

His whole life was stranger than fiction.
Say this much: he may have passed on, but for better or worse, it's almost like he wasn't living in the real world to begin with.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Here's an article about his performance in Vancouver in 1984:

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainme ... story.html

Do you remember these two Pepsi commercials he did with his Jackson Five in 1984?

[video][/video]
[video][/video]

He was about to do a third Pepsi commercial when a fireworks accident burned his hair.
[video][/video]

He certainly had a lot of bandwagon fans in the 80's. After his Victory tour in 1984, he went on a three year hiatus and he became one of the best favourite pop singers to one of the most detestable singers until he released his 1987 Bad album.
Last edited by Robbie on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
nelson95
Legend

Nobody is purrfect but there are crimes that are unforgivable and it seems he committed them...frequently(see Vanity Fair website)

so burn freakshow burn
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Apparantly, the CFL isn't all that thrilled with Arland Bruce's tribute to Michael Jackson in the Toronto Argos win in Hamilton. The league is reviewing the Toronto receiver's TD celebration after scoring in Wednesday night's 30-17 victory. Following a TD pass from Kerry Joseph that put Toronto ahead 6-0, Bruce removed his helmet, shoulder pads and uniform top and laid down in the end zone. Bruce said he was honoring the memory of Michael Jackson by pretending to be buried. Bruce received two objectionable conduct penalties.

祝你龍年行大運。
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

im sure if he could do it again he wouldnt have done that, maybe if he wanted to pay tribute to MJ, he should have done the moonwalk or something
2012 Season Ticket Holder
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Apparantly, the CFL isn't all that thrilled with Arland Bruce's tribute to Michael Jackson in the Toronto Argos win in Hamilton. The league is reviewing the Toronto receiver's TD celebration after scoring in Wednesday night's 30-17 victory. Following a TD pass from Kerry Joseph that put Toronto ahead 6-0, Bruce removed his helmet, shoulder pads and uniform top and laid down in the end zone. Bruce said he was honoring the memory of Michael Jackson by pretending to be buried. Bruce received two objectionable conduct penalties.

That's as lame a "tribute" as I have ever seen.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Robbie wrote:Apparantly, the CFL isn't all that thrilled with Arland Bruce's tribute to Michael Jackson in the Toronto Argos win in Hamilton. The league is reviewing the Toronto receiver's TD celebration after scoring in Wednesday night's 30-17 victory. Following a TD pass from Kerry Joseph that put Toronto ahead 6-0, Bruce removed his helmet, shoulder pads and uniform top and laid down in the end zone. Bruce said he was honoring the memory of Michael Jackson by pretending to be buried. Bruce received two objectionable conduct penalties.

That's as lame a "tribute" as I have ever seen.
Good point. As an analogy, did any of the Lions players do that to honour the late Bob Ackles?
祝你龍年行大運。