what came first to the average home

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

color, or cable??? I cant remember except for me, they both showed up around 70.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Color, for us... don't remember if we got it while we still lived in the Lower Mainland, or after we moved to the Interior, but we never got cable before, and it simply wasn't available up north.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Dan
Rookie

You mean colour. were in Canda remember
Bleddyn
Starter

Interesting question, which made me do some looking.

Colour TV sets have been around, longer I would guess then any of us have been alive. The first colour set was displayed in Berlin in 1939, and they had been working on designs since 1880!! The first FCC authorized colour broadcasting in the US started in 1953. CBS tried as early as 1940 but the colour signals were not compatable with older black/white sets. By 1954 color sets by RCA were outselling black and white, so I would say late 50's - early 60's for colour TV sets to be common.

As for cable, it started in the US in 1948, primarily in Oregon, Arkansas and Pennsilvania due to poor wireless reception in the mountains there. In Canada we had cable by 1952, but 20 years later only 26% of homes had cable, by 1982 it had risen to 58% which is where you may start wanting to call it common.

So I would say, in Canada, alot of people had colour sets, before they had cable TV.
ziggy
Legend

Definitely colour in the boonies. Cable only came on line to some areas outside the lower mainland in the late 60's.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Colour in 1966 for me IIRC.

Rabbit ears. No cable. Probably 3 or 4 channels.
Bosco
Team Captain

I remember having cable around 1970. During the Team Summit Series of 1972, I watched a couple of games at my sister's apartment because she had cable AND a colour tv. :yahoo:

My father finally shelled out the big bucks for a colour tv in 1974.