Javy Glatt should quit football

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Wakefan
prospect

Javy Glatt should quit playing football because he is an embarrassment to all great middle linebackers like Maurice Lloyd and Barrin Simpson. He is too slow, too weak, and he can't fight off any blocks from the offensive linemen. I doubt it will happen but Buono should play Pottinger next week or activate the new linebacker, Nande off the reserve list.
MacNews
Team Captain

I am surprised his Achilles heel is taking this long to heal, and that he has been playing hurt for so long. We need Glatt to get healthy and in the mean time we have Potts, Floyd or Johnson who can play MLB.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:I am surprised his Achilles heel is taking this long to heal, and that he has been playing hurt for so long. We need Glatt to get healthy and in the mean time we have Potts, Floyd or Johnson who can play MLB.
Mac, has it ever been stated or acknowledged that Javy is playing with a debilitating injury? I did not ever hear such an acknowledgement.

If Javy has been hampered by an injury that weakens the overall defense, he should not have been playing as a starter. That is a coaching error. If it is a chronic, incurable condition, it is even more important to get a healthy player in there.

From what I have seen, Javy does not have anywhere near as much speed as the faster linebackers in the league. And he is not able to compensate for that lack of speed as the TO linebackers have done in their better years.

From what I have seen, Javy does not read the run well, does not react to it well, does not shed blockers well, and misses some makeable tackles.

He is a very useful player for the Lions, but some of us think he is playing out of position, being better suited to outside LB with his cover ability and blitzing ability.
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacNews
Team Captain

IMO the only explanation for Javy's drop in play this season is his Achilles. He has shown he can be a decent MLB and right now he is struggling.

WCJ, can you really attribute all those mistakes to a healthy Glatt? It is his 3rd season at MLB and unless he has the steepest learning-curve ever (Which he has proven he does not) then he is not 100% healthy.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:IMO the only explanation for Javy's drop in play this season is his Achilles. He has shown he can be a decent MLB and right now he is struggling.

WCJ, can you really attribute all those mistakes to a healthy Glatt? It is his 3rd season at MLB and unless he has the steepest learning-curve ever (Which he has proven he does not) then he is not 100% healthy.
Mac, I would suggest that a top run-stopping middle linebacker is not an easy player to find. The 4 things I mentioned about Javy above (reading the run, reacting to it, shedding blockers, tackling the RB at or near the LOS) are not necessarily possessed by even most outside linebackers.

I would guess that even Otis Floyd might not work out that well at MLB. Pottinger would be an unknown commodity at MLB, possibly not much different than Javy. Jamall Johnson has the speed and tacking ability. Who knows if the coaches think he can play the position for other reasons? He might be the best candidate. Who knows?

But after an extended stay in the middle, it does not look to me like it is a good fit for Javy, especially against the run.
Don Miller
Legend

Time to let Jason Arakgi play linebacker. He is one of our best tacklers and has good speed. You know that Wes Cates and Bishop will run on us. Unless our front 4 can control their o line we will be in trouble again. I would put Glatt on special teams and have Jamal Johnston and Floyd and Aragki as linebackers. Arakgi couldn't do any worse.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Too late in the year to be inserting a new guy into the lineup. If it was in fact an injury the coaching staff should be held accountable for not finding an adequate replacement.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Too late in the year to be inserting a new guy into the lineup. If it was in fact an injury the coaching staff should be held accountable for not finding an adequate replacement.
Couoldn't the smae be said for the most important position on the field too?
I have my head up my butt - 120db
MacNews
Team Captain

Yank In BC wrote:Couoldn't the smae be said for the most important position on the field too?
QB?
nelson95
Legend

I just had to shut it down for this 1/2 of the rugby season due to achielles tendonitis

You need 6-8 weeks of no running to heal it. It sucks, it will get better then you run and pesto, the gimp again.

of course Javy is 15 years younger than me but you can't inject it so now I can see why he has been somewhat less than effective the past while.
Give the ball to LeeRoy!