No votes
Jack Layton (New Democrat)
28%
Elizabeth May (Green)
No votes

Total votes: 25
crburrows
Champion

In the Canadian debate, talk about 4 on 1. I found it very frustrating that we have a five way debate, when really only three parties have any hope of winning, and that is being VERY generous to the NDP.
The roundtable style doesn't work.

It may have been a bit better if one of the non-PM leaders was leading in the polls - this would have diffused the 4 on 1 nature. We did get a tiny bit of that with Layton attacking Dion.

I would prefer to have had ten one-on-one matchups for 12 minutes each. Start with Dion v. Duceppe, then Harper v. May, then Layton v. Dion, etc., finishing up with Dion v. Harper.

That would have been more compelling. Plus, you might have actually heard someone talk rather than four or five people shouting and trying to be heard.
bclions16
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
bclions16 wrote:Mathematically, one party participating last night cannot win, and I'm not talking about the Greens.
If you mean the Bloc, it is mathematically possible for Duceppe to win a minority government if they swept all or nearly all of Quebec's 75 ridings, and the other four leading parties split the remaining 308 – 75 = 233 or so seats evenly enough.

Possible, but by no means probable. :lol:
Ha! I suppose it's possible, but three things would happen before the Bloc formed government with 75 seats:

- In light of the Bloc's separatist stance, the Gov Gen could ask the current government to try continue governing in a smaller minority
- The Gov Gen could negotiate a coalition
- And the most likely, two or more other parties would work together and request, and be granted permission, to form government.

Of course some speculate on Madame Jean and her husband's past sympathies towards Quebec separatists...
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
ziggy
Legend

Best line of the night was Duceppe saying something along the lines that he would never be PM of Canada and he knew it. Neither would three of the other participants and probably two of them knew it also.

I found the concept flawed, it will always result in a 4 on 1 situation with the opposition going after the elected PM. I also think there were too many participants and as a result nothing much was explored. I appreciate that everyone wants to play, but when you have one of the speakers who doesn't even want to be PM of Canada and another who wants to be PM, but is only invited because a sitting MP chucked from the liberal party, gives her party a sitting member and hence a seat at the debate, I have to ask where is this going.
Given the way political parties can spring up will we have these 5 plus the Marxist Lennists etc etc.etc. I agree it is good to let the smaller parties get involved but not sure this current method is functional.
crburrows
Champion

Given the way political parties can spring up will we have these 5 plus the Marxist Lennists etc etc.etc. I agree it is good to let the smaller parties get involved but not sure this current method is functional.
Better yet, both the Communists AND the Marxist Lenninists! Now, THERE'S a blood feud.
The debaters may well have wrote:"You're not the true supporters of the workers, we are" "You Marxist Lenninists talk a good game, but your notions are simply not practical." BLAM!! .. .. .. BLAM!!
Blood literally on the floor.
crburrows
Champion

I agree it is good to let the smaller parties get involved but not sure this current method is functional.
I wonder what they do in Israel and Italy. Do they even have a debate? Is is just the PM and the Leader of the Opposition - or do they let in all the party leaders?

Given our pasta parliament, it wouldn't hurt to see what the others are doing.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

where is the none of the above option, as in voting for local independant?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
bclions16
Champion

KnowItAll wrote:where is the none of the above option, as in voting for local independant?
Not to be rude, but a serious question: what would a local independent do for you?
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

BClions16 is right. With the exception of the minority Parliament where Chuck Cadman`s vote meant saving the day for the government, an independent non -party MP can do nothing more than be a social conscience OUTSIDE the House as the way it is set up, Party`s control the speaking lists, committees, etc.

Cadman was screwed. Funny thing about how his party did him in was that I had heard from sources close to Stockwell Day and his Riding Association that Cadman wasn`t going to be able to win his nomination - making it clear he wasn`t going to be around. What the voters of Surrey did was to show all of them that the guy they voted in was their guy and he was going to be their guy for as long as they chose to vote him in!!!

What we need is all votes being free. If the government loses its vote, the opposition automatically get the floor to move a non -confidence motion which then would get voted on by party lines. What this would do is force governments to put forward legislation that a majority of all parties must support. It would definitely lead to some regional voting patterns but that is not a bad thing. For example, if BC was to be negatively impacted by a federal piece of legislation, you might find all BC MPs of all stripes voting against it. This then helps all MPs who need to get re-elected and serves notice to the party leaders that if they want votes from this region, better do what we need and want.

jcalhoun... great post... more on it later. Off to coach some soccer.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

bclions16 wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:where is the none of the above option, as in voting for local independant?
Not to be rude, but a serious question: what would a local independent do for you?
first, I hate party politics

second, I beleive in voting for your local rep over who will be PM.

third, the independant guy could be the guy with the most integrity. :cr:

What it would do for me is give me the satisfaction of knowing I voted according to my own principles and didnt just vote for one party to screw the other party, of vote for the lessor evil, or...
Robbie
Hall of Famer

There's lots of threads about the attendance in BC Lions games. So let's talk about attendance of another form: do you intend to vote on October 14, 2008?

And what do you think the voter turnout will be?

Canada has a very bad reputation of having a very low voter turnout at election day:

1997 - 67.0% :sigh:
2000 - 64.1% :shock:
2004 - 60.9% :x

Just like there's apathy in general elections day in Canada, there's also apathy in the Canada's National Day compared to America. It's a shame and disgraceful that there's so much apathy and so little patriotism towards our own country. On July 4, Americans bring out their U.S. flags, go to parades, etc. to show their patriotism. On July 1, Canadians cross the border to go shopping in the U.S. :no: :bang:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Canadian apathy about many things, including sports other than hockey, has bugged me greatly for the last 4decades. Aint never gonna change tho, sigh
Robbie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:Canadian apathy about many things, including sports other than hockey, has bugged me greatly for the last 4decades. Aint never gonna change tho, sigh
Well in that other thread, there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm about the Afghan War.

And the city of Toronto (and many other Canadian cities) showed a lot of :canada: when the Toronto Blue Jays won the 1992 and 1993 World Series.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:There's lots of threads about the attendance in BC Lions games. So let's talk about attendance of another form: do you intend to vote on October 14, 2008?

And what do you think the voter turnout will be?

Canada has a very bad reputation of having a very low voter turnout at election day:

1997 - 67.0% :sigh:
2000 - 64.1% :shock:
2004 - 60.9% :x

Just like there's apathy in general elections day in Canada, there's also apathy in the Canada's National Day compared to America. It's a shame and disgraceful that there's so much apathy and so little patriotism towards our own country. On July 4, Americans bring out their U.S. flags, go to parades, etc. to show their patriotism. On July 1, Canadians cross the border to go shopping in the U.S. :no: :bang:
If you go back to the 60s and 70s I am pretty sure the voting numbers were higher.

We need to establish a culture of voting so start em off at high school at 16. Polling stations are at schools for the most part anyway. It would bring classes alive as students discuss the issues and politicians love to speak and schools are a great venue as teachers do bring them in as guests but this time there'd be votes there.

This might get kids joining parties which Canadians don't do.

The US style of electioneering and smearing your opponents is ugly but works and this too has turned voters off. They believe the attacks and then conclude they are all bad so stay home.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: ...This might get kids joining parties which Canadians don't do.
whacha talking bout dere? Kids today more about parties than ever before, donchano