Closing Franchise Businesses in the Lower Mainland

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Time to add some more restaurants:

• PJs (an Earl's type that specialized in hamburgers)
As a burger junkie I loved that place!

I enjoyed a place near kits Beach called Senor Frogs (early 90's).

When I was a real youngster there was a place near Granville/Broadway called Joe's Garage (IIRC). They said they would serve anything on their menu with a scoop of hot fudge. My dad told me if I got straight A's he'd let me have a burger with hot fudge. I think the restaurant got busted for selling something that wasn't on the menu :wink:

BTW, theres a place called Two Parrots on Granville/Davie. Never been there. However, it seemed like before Two Parrots showed up at that location there would be a new restaurant open and then go out of business every 2-3 months!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In the late 1970's, there was a steakhouse franchise called Mr. Jake's. Looking in the internet, it looks like the only location is now in Prince George.

There is a buffet franchise called Uncle Willy's. There used to be locations in near Lansdowne and on W. Broadway, but I think the remaining location is in Burnaby near Metropolis.

In Richmond near the Canadian Tire on No. 3 Rd, there was a small hamburger place called Burger Brothers. I'm not certain if they were a franchise.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Bosco
Team Captain

Solar Max told me to mention establishments such as The Barnet Hotel in Port Moody, The North Burnaby Inn (NBI) in Burnaby, and the Drake in East Vancouver. :wink:

8)
Soundy
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:BTW, theres a place called Two Parrots on Granville/Davie. Never been there. However, it seemed like before Two Parrots showed up at that location there would be a new restaurant open and then go out of business every 2-3 months!
It's not a "chain", but there is a related Two Parrots in Coquitlam as well (Golden Drive, just off United Blvd.). Never been in the downtown store, but the Coquitlam one is part restaurant, part pub - the restaurant section closes in the evening.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:There is a buffet franchise called Uncle Willy's. There used to be locations in near Lansdowne and on W. Broadway, but I think the remaining location is in Burnaby near Metropolis.
The one that used to be on WBway is now the Frog & Firkin.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
Robbie wrote:There is a buffet franchise called Uncle Willy's. There used to be locations in near Lansdowne and on W. Broadway, but I think the remaining location is in Burnaby near Metropolis.
The one that used to be on WBway is now the Frog & Firkin.
IIRC there was an Uncle Willy's just NE of the Lougheed Mall on the Burnaby side of North Road, but the entire mini mall was bulldozed recently.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Soundy
Hall of Famer

^Yeah, there was... it's a condo tower-under-construction now. Used to be a great Timmy's there too - the woman who worked the graveyard shift would always pack a few extra donuts or Timbits in when you ordered a box. I'd go in at 2am and order a dozen donuts and end up with 15 or 16 :)
(\__/)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

While there's still several Dairy Queen and A&W franchise locations, its format has really changed from 30 years ago. Nowadays, the franchises are located in food courts and they are merged with another parent franchise such as Orange Julius.

Dairy Queen used to be in the form of an ice-cream stand.

And A&W used to be in the form of drive-ins where waitresses on roller skates would serve you.
Last edited by Robbie on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Soundy wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:• Friscos — used to be a late night stop for us that served big honkin cheesecake among other things.
Wasn't that Fresgo's? I know the place you mean though - used to be one on Davie and one in Whalley. They were amazing.
Bingo Soundy ... thanks, I knew I was close.

I recall as kid my dad dragging us to Hometown — a large hardware/lumber store. They had locations in Surrey and Coquitlam at least.

And of course ... Beaver Lumber.

Also.... Hamilton Harvey department stores and for chocolate — Laura Secord,
Robbie
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:• Sirlioner — once popular everywhere but now down to one location.
And where is that location?
SammyGreene wrote:I recall as kid my dad dragging us to Hometown — a large hardware/lumber store. They had locations in Surrey and Coquitlam at least.

And of course ... Beaver Lumber.
And what happened to Lumberland?
SammyGreene wrote:[and for chocolate — Laura Secord
Laura Secord still has several stores across the country. I wonder why they closed in BC.
祝你龍年行大運。
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Read about this in a recent Vancouver Courier...

Jackson Meats the last of what used to be a chain of family owned/operated butchershops will be shutting its doors September 15. There just isn't the business to get these kinds of operations going. Bets are on that another clothing store or furniture shop will replace the butchershop! I personally have never been to Jackson Meats but it sounds like it had quite a loyal following of customers just not enough to keep going.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Adding to the list:

The Soda Pop craze of the 70s
•Pic a Pop
• The Pop Shoppe

• Brettons — department store that was apart of the original Metrotown

• Big Scoop ice cream parlours
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Adding to the list:

•Pic a Pop
• The Pop Shoppe

I think that pic a pop's are still around, they resurfaced recently anyways.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

The rattlesnake cafe was pretty good too, they're gone tho....mm rattlesnake....
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Adding to the list:

•Pic a Pop
• The Pop Shoppe

I think that pic a pop's are still around, they resurfaced recently anyways.
I saw Pop Shoppe pop in a gelato store in Fort Langley tonight!

My dad's cousin used to run an upholstery shop in Newton, he ALWAYS had several flats of Pic-a-Pop sitting around... I think their distributor was in the same complex, and knowing him he probably got them for cheap.
(\__/)