Carbon tax whining??

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

pennw
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:ahh what the hell, boring day, so I guess I light some more fire here. Besides, I miss all the flack attention I used to get in the good ole days :wink:

IMO

- all autoracing and air shows should be banned.
- all high performance engines\cars should be banned.
- cost of air travel should go way up to discourage frivolous air travel. With newer technology, internet, teleconferencing, etc, need for business trips should almost be eliminated. People should spend their vacation locally, keep the money local, etc.
Of course you should add to that list professional sports , including the CFL because they do a lot of commercial flying to get to games and cause huge tracts of wilderness to be torn up just to build stadiums.
Which brings me to the question how do you and Gerry justify your watching of Lions games or CFL games since it is such a cause of carbon emissions ? Should both of you not be boycotting the CFL ?

Of course you are advocating the end of tourism too aren't you , since much of our tourism comes from abroad?
MacNews
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:no, its not the point. We didnt need the lotion back then because we didnt burn when we spent all afternoon in the sun away from the water. Now we do.
I'm not disagreeing that we may burn more than in the past, I'm saying that's irrelevant to most people because we have invented sun-tan lotion and can continue to spend all afternoon in the sun.

I think for car emissions we can do the same thing, look at all the technologies coming down the line...technologies like hybrid, fuel-cell, diesel, electric and hydrogen.
pennw
Legend

KnowItAll wrote: what is back then to you? 60's??

In the early seventies, I spent one summer in Manitoba, out on the farm, bailing from morn to night in very hot sun, yet I did not burn and did not use lotion. I am quite fair skinned naturally, with freckles. Same person today cannot just move from cooler climate to manitoba and just go out in the sun all day like that and not burn bad. There is a difference today, whether you want to admit or recognize it. Of course there are some people conditioned not to burn so quick today, and there were people who got burned back then, but today, more people get more burned way quicker, without lotion. I lived then, and I live today, and I experience the difference.
60's and 70's is back then to me too . I could be out all day then , but choose not to anymore because I don't like the heat , but still the parts of my body that are exposed still are able to do so . I still guys on construction crews and such who work bare back in the sun . Just because you no longer get out in the sun much doesn't mean it has changed so drastically . That comes with age . We just don't like being out there so we avoid it . But there still are hoards of people laying out in the sun on beaches around the world.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:ahh what the hell, boring day, so I guess I light some more fire here. Besides, I miss all the flack attention I used to get in the good ole days :wink:

IMO

- all autoracing and air shows should be banned.
- all high performance engines\cars should be banned.
- cost of air travel should go way up to discourage frivolous air travel. With newer technology, internet, teleconferencing, etc, need for business trips should almost be eliminated. People should spend their vacation locally, keep the money local, etc.
Of course you should add to that list professional sports , including the CFL because they do a lot of commercial flying to get to games and cause huge tracts of wilderness to be torn up just to build stadiums.
Which brings me to the question how do you and Gerry justify your watching of Lions games or CFL games since it is such a cause of carbon emissions ? Should both of you not be boycotting the CFL ?

Of course you are advocating the end of tourism too aren't you , since much of our tourism comes from abroad?
you have taken a big leap based on just the post of mine you quoted. I said reduce frivolous air travel. Sport team travel is not, IMO, frivolous, unless they be within a half a days bus or train ride.

As for tourism, how much Canadian money is spent abroad. Whats the net? Plus or minus?

However, heres a kicker for you to lambast me about. Environmental impact of any situation is infinite times more important than economical impact. If it could be shown to me that the death of the CFL (or all team sports) would be the major thing we could do to improve the environment for our kids, I wouldnt hesitate to vote for it. However, Sports existed for centuries before we ever started burning oil products.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
pennw
Legend

MacNews wrote:
I think for car emissions we can do the same thing, look at all the technologies coming down the line...technologies like hybrid, fuel-cell, diesel, electric and hydrogen.
Exactly , we should be persueing a positive solution to our problems and give credit where it is due , not a negative , we'll beat you into the ground approach being advocated by the extremists . Take Air Care for example , even our now extremist Campbell Government was saying that maybe Air Care has become obsolete because almost all cars pass every time. Air Care likes to boast that they cleaned up the air in the Fraser Valley , but it wasn't air care that did it . It was the automakers who should be credited , they are the ones who produced dramatically cleaner vehicles than from what we had 25 years ago . But no credit is given , only the " what ever you ... " mantra is used to deny any improvement.

If we are still economically viable in the future , then we may be able to afford to make such changes , but if the extremists win the day and have half of Canada shut down . Then the future does look bleak.
pennw
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:

you have taken a big leap based on just the post of mine you quoted. I said reduce frivolous air travel. Sport team travel is not, IMO, frivolous, unless they be within a half a days bus or train ride.

As for tourism, how much Canadian money is spent abroad. Whats the net? Plus or minus?

However, heres a kicker for you to lambast me about. Environmental impact of any situation is infinite times more important than economical impact. If it could be shown to me that the death of the CFL (or all team sports) would be the major thing we could do to improve the environment for our kids, I wouldnt hesitate to vote for it. However, Sports existed for centuries before we ever started burning oil products.
To raise the cost of fair fare to stop "frivolous" travel brings it to all travel , so it's not a leap at all . Just like rising the cost of fuel to stop frivolous travel in cars effects all , not just the desired target. The choice you present secondly is a false dichotomy . It's not either or . What we have happening today is the promotion of an extreme one sided view on the issue by the IPCC , a political organization , environmental extremist's who smell blood on the issue and politicians who want to ride the bandwagon for their own political gain .

You'd think by all the extreme rhetoric today that there wasn't a tree left standing in BC , but look at that mountain range to the north of you . What do you see ? Trees , and what is after that mountain range should you go up and over ? More mountains cover with trees and after those ranges you see more of the same for many , many miles.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
You'd think by all the extreme rhetoric today that there wasn't a tree left standing in BC , but look at that mountain range to the north of you . What do you see ? Trees , and what is after that mountain range should you go up and over ? More mountains cover with trees and after those ranges you see more of the same for many , many miles.
this point is flawed. I realize that you are not exactly doing this. But its like as if all of the rest of BC was clear cut, but because everywhere you see around vancouver is good, then assume all is well. Its not about how many trees are left, but how many are missing and how that is growing. We may still be fine today, but that doesnt mean we just ignore the future problem.

I remember how smug I felt back in the 60s when we heard about all the smog they already had in LA. Surely that would never happen here. We didnt learn. Now its here. Yet, we still feel smug just because toronto is worse.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
KnowItAll wrote: what is back then to you? 60's??

In the early seventies, I spent one summer in Manitoba, out on the farm, bailing from morn to night in very hot sun, yet I did not burn and did not use lotion. I am quite fair skinned naturally, with freckles. Same person today cannot just move from cooler climate to manitoba and just go out in the sun all day like that and not burn bad. There is a difference today, whether you want to admit or recognize it. Of course there are some people conditioned not to burn so quick today, and there were people who got burned back then, but today, more people get more burned way quicker, without lotion. I lived then, and I live today, and I experience the difference.
60's and 70's is back then to me too . I could be out all day then , but choose not to anymore because I don't like the heat , but still the parts of my body that are exposed still are able to do so . I still guys on construction crews and such who work bare back in the sun . Just because you no longer get out in the sun much doesn't mean it has changed so drastically . That comes with age . We just don't like being out there so we avoid it . But there still are hoards of people laying out in the sun on beaches around the world.
For what it's worth, I spent about an hour and a half yesterday, sitting in front of Starbucks, in the direct sun, getting my pasty white legs and feet browned... the tan lines from my sandals are barely noticeable. I'm pretty fair-skinned as well, and have been known to burn relatively easily (although it usually just peels off to leave a nice tan), but an hour and a half should normally have me looking at least a bit lobsterish.

Guess I just wasn't sitting under the ozone hole yesterday... remind me to crack open some old fridges and release their freon, I don't wanna spend all day just to get a slight bronze :P
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Jason Jiménez
Rookie

Gerry wrote:
Jason Jiménez wrote:Read my lips: No more taxes!!! :no:

For the entire lot of crackpot ‘experts’ that weigh in on global warming, there are opinions on both sides that believe in it, and those that do not. Sure, the planet may have warmed in the past 100 years, but it’s a scientific fact that planet goes through heating and cooling periods. All of the numbers crunched have only covered the last century. What is 100 years in relative terms? Nothing! It’s a blink of an eye. Global warming is only a theory. Unfortunately, this theory is being put into practice by the BC government in the form of yet another tax – another hand in our pocket. This theory is being inculcated ad nauseaum to the masses by bleeding heart liberal propagandists who have abstruse agendas to get people to change their behavior. Groupthink, in this case, could prove to be disastrous.
How is it dangerous to pollute less? If you are correct that global warming is an incorrect theory, how does it hurt us to reduce smog by driving less or driving more fuel efficient or cleaner vehicles?
I never said it was dangerous to pollute less. You misinterpreted what I said.
Green and sustainable living is a great way to reduce waste and conserve resources. I go along with it because of the economic benefits, not because I believe the world is in peril. It’s a person’s prerogative whether they choose to live that way.
Is it really? Do we not have many laws on our books requiring certain behaviours as to how we treat our common environment? May be blindly deposit anything we want into our waterways? Of course not.
I stand by what I said. It is a person's prerogative to buy compact flurorescent lights, ride a bike to work, recycle, etc. There are currently no laws that I'm aware of that states that we have to live 'green.' You're talking about blatant disregard for the environment. Of course there are laws that prohibit total disregard for the environment; laws that protect wildlife and habitats. I'm talking about the paradigm shift from our conventional ways of living to what is being promoted now. It's a social push, not a law.
Very little of what most people accept has irrefutable evidence to back it up. But most people will accept reasonable evidence, and that is what most people have done in this case. Most Canadians have, most world governments have, and even the US is well on the way to accepting that something needs to be done.
There is not a preponderance of evidence in favor of either argument -- it depends on who you ask. My opinion is that it's inconclusive - yet the those in favor of trying to change our behavior have a special agenda and stand to benefit from it by way of status, power and wealth.

Since the world leaders at the recent G8 Summit can’t even agree on the five W’s with relation to global warming,
That's more politics than science, and you know it. It all boils down to who pays, not whether someone should.
I disagree. The scientist's conclusions are as sketchy as the politicians. Global Warming, i.e. Climate Change, is not about environmentalism or politics. It is not a religion. It is not something you "believe in." Some people believe in it, some people don't.

why should you and I be taxed on what essentially boils down to a hunch?
It is much more than a hunch, and you know that too.
Ok, show me proof that Global Warming is indeed real. Show me conclusive evidence. There isn't any. What you will find are theories that are supported by other theories.
The idea behind this carbon tax is asinine. In today’s 24 hours, the provincial government took out two, full-page ads to describe how this is a good thing. (Let the inculcation commence) The ad alleges that 36% of all greenhouse gas emissions in BC comes from transportation. We’re being punished for using resources and the government hopes that prices will get so high, we’ll not consume as much. As an incentive, tax breaks will be offered. Tax breaks are wonderful, but it doesn’t help out the family of four struggling to make ends meet that have to commute long distances when gas continues to go up - by market fluctuation, or by carbon taxes.

Are you a family of four struggling to make ends meet? I love how people are always so worried about other people when they bring up an issue, but don't consider that other people also means future generations who will have to live with the pollutants we are adding to our air right now even though we could easily pollute much less than we do.
I'm glad you love it. No, I'm a family of three now and I try to put myself in other people's shoes. I don't presume to think that my sitation is the same as everyone elses. Every generation adapts to the problems of the day. My children and your children will find ways to deal with the challenges of their day. Taxing carbon usage and consumption is not going to provide any answer for you and me today or our kids tomorrow.
The ad in 24 hours highlights that “If you drive 5% less a year, you can typically save twice what you will pay in carbon tax over the next two years.” What if you can’t drive 5% less a year? What if you have to move further out because housing is so outrageously high, you have to drive longer distances where there isn’t public transit? Does the government plan on putting in a provincial Skytrain system?
Good points here. That's where economics comes in. It's all supply and demand and that will shape where and how we live. Pollution costs. There is a price to be paid, somehow, and by someone, at some time. A carbon tax means that we will be paying some of the true cost now, right away. No more free lunch. No more putting it off until some future date.
The problem is that taxing consumption on carbon usage is essentially a knock against our oil based economy. As forward thinking as many see it as, it’s really too far ahead of where we are and where we need to be. Here’s what I mean: until a system is put in place where we don’t have to rely on oil, taxing our consumption of our lifelines is basically shooting ourselves in the foot. We need our feet to walk, run, move and live. The same goes for oil. We need oil (right now) to live. Essentially everything that we use is petroleum based. The keyboard that we are using to exchange ideas on this forum is oil based. Some of the foods that we eat are processed in some form or fashion with oil products. Medicines, plastics, and whole host of goods are oil based. The ‘green machine’ message, while noble, is simply idealistic.

Use less energy is not the answer unless you want economic growth to halt as well. The alternatives? Yes, solar, geothermal, wind, etc. – the renewables. The problem that I see here is the same problem attributed with marijuana. These forms of energy occur naturally – the same way that marijuana grows naturally. As it stands now, since it can’t be taxed because it’s a naturally occurring substance/energy, how will ‘they’ make a profit on it? Anybody could set up shop and produce energy the same way anybody can grow marijuana for a personal profit. The problem again lies in government(s) trying to dictate to us how and when things should be done. It’s wrong with imposing more taxes, it’s wrong with attempting to market to the masses in the form of fear and propaganda blitzes and it’s wrong to try and tell us how to lead our lives.

No one "planned" the city of Vancouver. It evolved. It is still evolving, to some degree by planners and governments, and to some degree by economics.
Au contraire, confrere. The establishment in 1926 of the Vancouver Town Planning Commission marked the beginning of formal planning efforts in the city. Harland Bartholomew, town planning consultant from St. Louis, Missouri, was retained to provide planning services for Vancouver. Over the next decade Bartholomew and his team were assisted by Horace Seymour, a Canadian town planner who served as the resident engineer for the planning commission. The team surveyed the city, prepared detailed reports on zoning regulations, street design, transportation and transit, public recreation and civic art and conducted meetings with the town planning commission in order to develop a comprehensive plan. It was published in 1928. The following year, when South Vancouver and Point Grey amalgamated with the City of Vancouver, Bartholomew was hired to plan these communities and amend his previous report. In 1944 he returned to Vancouver to assist with new planning initiatives; a 1946 Bartholomew plan for the Lower Fraser River Valley--stretching 4,600 square kilometres from the U.S. border to West Vancouver and Hope--emphasized his interest in regional planning and a “scheme for control of decentralization.” It's been over 60 years. That's a long time to go w/o updating a city’s growing needs. .

Call me American…but I was always taught and firmly believe “NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENATION.” Did we vote on this? I didn’t. This tax is non-representative of my views on this issue and non-representative of concrete, irrefutable facts. The theories of Henry Hazlitt are sure to be proven with this ill-conceived tax and the behavioral changes that will ensue.[/quote]
That's funny. I remember being able to vote for the current government, or against them. Did you miss the election?
It’s not that funny. I’m not a Canadian citizen; therefore, I can’t vote in Canada. ( See the above passage.) Voting for the current government is beside the point. Something as important as more taxes (in my experience) has always been put up to a vote. I don’t think anybody in their right mind would allow for such a thing to happen w/o weighing the issue at hand first.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

30-15 Lion60, Gerry to serve.

8)
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:30-15 Lion60, Gerry to serve.

8)
Hahahahah
(\__/)
MacNews
Team Captain

The absurdity of the carbon tax hit me today, when I saw it applied on someone's Terasan Gas bill. Because heating your home is so environmentally-irresponsible! 8)
Soundy
Hall of Famer

I wonder if it will be applied to our electric bills too? Because, you know, our hydroelectric power here in BC leaves such a massive carbon footprint...
(\__/)
Gerry
Legend

Jason Jiménez wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Jason Jiménez wrote:Read my lips: No more taxes!!! :no:

For the entire lot of crackpot ‘experts’ that weigh in on global warming, there are opinions on both sides that believe in it, and those that do not. Sure, the planet may have warmed in the past 100 years, but it’s a scientific fact that planet goes through heating and cooling periods. All of the numbers crunched have only covered the last century. What is 100 years in relative terms? Nothing! It’s a blink of an eye. Global warming is only a theory. Unfortunately, this theory is being put into practice by the BC government in the form of yet another tax – another hand in our pocket. This theory is being inculcated ad nauseaum to the masses by bleeding heart liberal propagandists who have abstruse agendas to get people to change their behavior. Groupthink, in this case, could prove to be disastrous.
How is it dangerous to pollute less? If you are correct that global warming is an incorrect theory, how does it hurt us to reduce smog by driving less or driving more fuel efficient or cleaner vehicles?
I never said it was dangerous to pollute less. You misinterpreted what I said.
Okay. You said it would be disastrous. You suggest all kinds of doom and gloom if we start to cut back on carbon emissions. And I say that we can cut back a very large amount without significant pain at all and as the economics dictate cleaner use of oil, technologies will be developed to meet the need. But without a financial carrot/stick, the status quo continues, and it is unsustainable.
Green and sustainable living is a great way to reduce waste and conserve resources. I go along with it because of the economic benefits, not because I believe the world is in peril. It’s a person’s prerogative whether they choose to live that way.
Is it really? Do we not have many laws on our books requiring certain behaviours as to how we treat our common environment? May be blindly deposit anything we want into our waterways? Of course not.
I stand by what I said. It is a person's prerogative to buy compact flurorescent lights, ride a bike to work, recycle, etc. There are currently no laws that I'm aware of that states that we have to live 'green.' You're talking about blatant disregard for the environment. Of course there are laws that prohibit total disregard for the environment; laws that protect wildlife and habitats. I'm talking about the paradigm shift from our conventional ways of living to what is being promoted now. It's a social push, not a law.
You're right. Most of the push is social, although recycling is sort of enforced by not be able to dispose of recyclables in regular waste. In general though, if people can be persuaded to do the right thing by giving them information, that would be ideal. Usually though, it takes dollars and cents through penalties and incentives as well as regulation to make changes.
Very little of what most people accept has irrefutable evidence to back it up. But most people will accept reasonable evidence, and that is what most people have done in this case. Most Canadians have, most world governments have, and even the US is well on the way to accepting that something needs to be done.
There is not a preponderance of evidence in favor of either argument -- it depends on who you ask. My opinion is that it's inconclusive - yet the those in favor of trying to change our behavior have a special agenda and stand to benefit from it by way of status, power and wealth.

You are in the minority. Most Canadians disagree with you. Most world governments do as well. Majority rules.
Since the world leaders at the recent G8 Summit can’t even agree on the five W’s with relation to global warming,
That's more politics than science, and you know it. It all boils down to who pays, not whether someone should.
I disagree. The scientist's conclusions are as sketchy as the politicians. Global Warming, i.e. Climate Change, is not about environmentalism or politics. It is not a religion. It is not something you "believe in." Some people believe in it, some people don't.

why should you and I be taxed on what essentially boils down to a hunch?
Because the majority of people accept the theory of global warming and want something to be done about it. That's why.
It is much more than a hunch, and you know that too.
Ok, show me proof that Global Warming is indeed real. Show me conclusive evidence. There isn't any. What you will find are theories that are supported by other theories.
Yeah. That's how it works. Like evolution and a bunch more I suppose. You likely won't get your conclusive evidence.
The idea behind this carbon tax is asinine. In today’s 24 hours, the provincial government took out two, full-page ads to describe how this is a good thing. (Let the inculcation commence) The ad alleges that 36% of all greenhouse gas emissions in BC comes from transportation. We’re being punished for using resources and the government hopes that prices will get so high, we’ll not consume as much. As an incentive, tax breaks will be offered. Tax breaks are wonderful, but it doesn’t help out the family of four struggling to make ends meet that have to commute long distances when gas continues to go up - by market fluctuation, or by carbon taxes.

Are you a family of four struggling to make ends meet? I love how people are always so worried about other people when they bring up an issue, but don't consider that other people also means future generations who will have to live with the pollutants we are adding to our air right now even though we could easily pollute much less than we do.
I'm glad you love it. No, I'm a family of three now and I try to put myself in other people's shoes. I don't presume to think that my sitation is the same as everyone elses. Every generation adapts to the problems of the day. My children and your children will find ways to deal with the challenges of their day. Taxing carbon usage and consumption is not going to provide any answer for you and me today or our kids tomorrow.
The ad in 24 hours highlights that “If you drive 5% less a year, you can typically save twice what you will pay in carbon tax over the next two years.” What if you can’t drive 5% less a year? What if you have to move further out because housing is so outrageously high, you have to drive longer distances where there isn’t public transit? Does the government plan on putting in a provincial Skytrain system?
Good points here. That's where economics comes in. It's all supply and demand and that will shape where and how we live. Pollution costs. There is a price to be paid, somehow, and by someone, at some time. A carbon tax means that we will be paying some of the true cost now, right away. No more free lunch. No more putting it off until some future date.
The problem is that taxing consumption on carbon usage is essentially a knock against our oil based economy. As forward thinking as many see it as, it’s really too far ahead of where we are and where we need to be. Here’s what I mean: until a system is put in place where we don’t have to rely on oil, taxing our consumption of our lifelines is basically shooting ourselves in the foot. We need our feet to walk, run, move and live. The same goes for oil. We need oil (right now) to live. Essentially everything that we use is petroleum based. The keyboard that we are using to exchange ideas on this forum is oil based. Some of the foods that we eat are processed in some form or fashion with oil products. Medicines, plastics, and whole host of goods are oil based. The ‘green machine’ message, while noble, is simply idealistic.

Use less energy is not the answer unless you want economic growth to halt as well. The alternatives? Yes, solar, geothermal, wind, etc. – the renewables. The problem that I see here is the same problem attributed with marijuana. These forms of energy occur naturally – the same way that marijuana grows naturally. As it stands now, since it can’t be taxed because it’s a naturally occurring substance/energy, how will ‘they’ make a profit on it? Anybody could set up shop and produce energy the same way anybody can grow marijuana for a personal profit. The problem again lies in government(s) trying to dictate to us how and when things should be done. It’s wrong with imposing more taxes, it’s wrong with attempting to market to the masses in the form of fear and propaganda blitzes and it’s wrong to try and tell us how to lead our lives.

No one "planned" the city of Vancouver. It evolved. It is still evolving, to some degree by planners and governments, and to some degree by economics.
Au contraire, confrere. The establishment in 1926 of the Vancouver Town Planning Commission marked the beginning of formal planning efforts in the city. Harland Bartholomew, town planning consultant from St. Louis, Missouri, was retained to provide planning services for Vancouver. Over the next decade Bartholomew and his team were assisted by Horace Seymour, a Canadian town planner who served as the resident engineer for the planning commission. The team surveyed the city, prepared detailed reports on zoning regulations, street design, transportation and transit, public recreation and civic art and conducted meetings with the town planning commission in order to develop a comprehensive plan. It was published in 1928. The following year, when South Vancouver and Point Grey amalgamated with the City of Vancouver, Bartholomew was hired to plan these communities and amend his previous report. In 1944 he returned to Vancouver to assist with new planning initiatives; a 1946 Bartholomew plan for the Lower Fraser River Valley--stretching 4,600 square kilometres from the U.S. border to West Vancouver and Hope--emphasized his interest in regional planning and a “scheme for control of decentralization.” It's been over 60 years. That's a long time to go w/o updating a city’s growing needs. .

Call me American…but I was always taught and firmly believe “NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENATION.” Did we vote on this? I didn’t. This tax is non-representative of my views on this issue and non-representative of concrete, irrefutable facts. The theories of Henry Hazlitt are sure to be proven with this ill-conceived tax and the behavioral changes that will ensue.
That's funny. I remember being able to vote for the current government, or against them. Did you miss the election?
It’s not that funny. I’m not a Canadian citizen; therefore, I can’t vote in Canada. ( See the above passage.) Voting for the current government is beside the point. Something as important as more taxes (in my experience) has always been put up to a vote. I don’t think anybody in their right mind would allow for such a thing to happen w/o weighing the issue at hand first.[/quote]

I'll respond to the rest later. I'm at work and I have to get back at it.
Enough is enough.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:The absurdity of the carbon tax hit me today, when I saw it applied on someone's Terasan Gas bill. Because heating your home is so environmentally-irresponsible! 8)
allow me to point something out.

heating your home, is not irresponsible, but how much you heat may be.

For instance, I myself am not confortable in pants and sweater, so I wear shorts and tshirt all yr round in the house. This means that I keep my heat up to 74 in the winter. I beleive I am being irresponsible as I could just wear proper clothing and turn my heat down to at least 70, during the day.

Also, remember gas is not just heating the home. Anyone who wastes hot water, like taking 30 minute showers every day, continueously running hot water to rinse dishes, or just plane leaving the water running extra long to get the hot stuff coming, being too lazy to scrub dishes so just let the water run on the dishes till it eventually washes stuff off (unbelievable how many people do these things), etc, is also being irresponsible as far as natural gas goes.