Carbon tax whining??

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Whats the point.

I find it laughable that people are making such a big deal about 2. whatever cents when gas has gone up 100 cents, give or take, in the last 10 yrs or so.

Whats 2 cents really mean to most. For me, its no more than 3-5 bucks a month for auto gas.

With all the more important issues, wasting time demonstrating and complaining about this seems so pointless to me.

I gladly cash my 100 buck check.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I hope that you feel the same way when you shop for higher priced goods at the grocery store, when you pay the fuel surcharge that they are putting on the Ferries and all the rest. I'm glad for those who aren't going to be materially affected by this tax and for some complainers, I have no doubt that it is overblown drama. It may be that this is a good tax, I don't judge it but at the same time, there is a segment of society that this impacts a lot harder than others. I see them every week lined up at the Foodbank because they don't have enough money to make ends meet. Many of them take transit just to get there. If the fares go up, it makes their lot that much harder. If the price of goods goes up because trucking costs are higher, same thing. That five or so extra bucks every month that doesn't bother you all that much takes on a lot bigger significance when you are barely scraping by to start.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

yes, I understand that overall gas prices are a big deal affecting us all in many ways, and some harsher than others. I just think this 2 cents is not whats hurting anybody.
nelson95
Legend

unfortunately this won't get the people out of their cars since they have yet to do it despite huge price increases and terrible traffic. The people of greater Vancouver are part to blame for this

I don't know what the answer is but NDP have lost my vote due to their reaction to this

Go green
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

nelson95 wrote:unfortunately this won't get the people out of their cars since they have yet to do it despite huge price increases and terrible traffic. The people of greater Vancouver are part to blame for this

I don't know what the answer is but NDP have lost my vote due to their reaction to this

Go green
The NDP want a bigger BETTER carbon tax, so as to punish the middle class even further. Campbell on the other hand, decides to embrace the High Priests of the Church of Global Warming, and begs Pope Gore the First to let him be a Cardinal.

Ain't buyin' it; a pox on all of their houses. Let's see Red Carole and Cardinal Drunkard give up their wheels, then we can talk.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The NDP is nothing more than grandstanding. Let's hear what their plan is. How many British Columbians sent their $100 cheque to the NDP for their election campaign ?
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:The NDP is nothing more than grandstanding. Let's hear what their plan is. How many British Columbians sent their $100 cheque to the NDP for their election campaign ?
Candid Carole wants to put on a crapon tax eight times the cost of Gordo's at the refinery level. She too, wants to nail people who heat their homes, get produce and goods, and every other thing she can so that she can say,"Hey David! Me too!"

"Tax the poor and non-union" is the NDP way. Hit them hard for not sending Jim Sinclair enough of your hard earned pesos.

I should note for the record that I am not in favour of this tax, because it was enacted when gas here on the Rock was 1.139 per litre, and Gordo said that gas was too cheap at the time.

It's 1.529 (including the crapon tax) , now Mr. Premier, ( a rise of 34% in just 3 months) and you have a windfall in taxes from that price jump because of the provincial tax you already levy on gasoline. Yes, the tax that you are SUPPOSED to maintain and build roads with, but instead piss away on trips to godknowswhere and cabinet retreats in Whistler. :x
pennw
Legend

It's not just a 2.4 cent increase that is the problem with the carbon tax. Much of the extremely high prices we are seeing are connected to the carbon tax mentality. It is a message sent to the oil companies that the government wants higher prices and the people want/ accept higher prices , therefore they have a free reign/ approval to push the price as high as they like . The speculators see this and they buy up the stocks and continue the upward push . The day the carbon tax kicked in , the price in Chilliwack increased 9 cents a liter . Wow - big oil can thank the environmentalist movement for their windfall . Just how much are they kicking into Suzuki's coffers?
It is very naive and hypocritical of people who live in urban areas to think this is all fine and dandy. People beyond Langley have no option but to pay these excessive prices for fuel as there are NO ALTERNATIVES for large numbers of people. And it's not just a few bucks a month .
2.4 cents is only the beginning this will increase every year unless someone gets rid of this government . And no I do not support the NDP either.
High fuel prices will ultimately hurt a lot more than just paying a few extra dollars a month for gas . If it goes too far , we will see a collapse of our economy . We will never be able to compete with Europe , trying to copy their way of life , our geography simply will not allow it . People in the urban areas of this country who think this , are living in a fantasy .
LFITQ
Team Captain

LOL - like it is only going to be a 2.4 cent tax on consumers!!!!

Apparently reports are that even chocolate bars have now been increased by 5 cents because of this tax.

Each industry is going to recover the costs by passing it on to the consumer. They always have, they always will.

So now, I have to pay 2.4 cents per litre more just for my direct gasoline purchases. But add in to that I have to pay more for transit if I take it, or for any and ALL goods I happen to purchase as the delivery costs also get passed on. So it doesn't work out to be just 2.4 cents I have to pay, but I pay it on ALL items. So the carton of milk, the dozen eggs, the cereal for my kids' breakfast, the loaf of bread for their sandwiches all get to hit me in the pocket book, whereas this "carbon tax" increases revenues.

But here is the real kicker. They gave us that wonderful $100. Did you know it cost $9 million dollars just for the bureaucracy to cut the cheques? So right off the bat, the general coffers are 9 million in the hole - that has to be recovered somehow.

But how about this too. Campbell shuffled his cabinet and redid ministries, which included renaming a few of them. Do you happen to know how many millions the Government spends when it changes the name of a Ministry? Suddenly all the signs on all of the buildings throughout the province have to be changed. Webpages need to be changed. New business cards need to be printed and ordered. New letterhead has to be created and printed out. New enevelopes have to be printed. New signs have to be created for private companies that are doing business with or on behalf of the Provincial government. And I haven't even touched on the retraining of staff, possible redistribution of staff, lost man-hours in meetings updating staff with the new information for each ministry, lost man-hours while the new Minister gets up to speed and introduced to the Ministry and the direct staff he/she will be working with, etc. Heck I haven't even talked about the lost $$ on all the old stationary and items that now have to be thrown out and taken to recycling bins or put into city landfills. Heck the carbon imprint from a change in a single ministry's name is HUGE!!!!

SO don't tell me Campbell is pro-envionment when he just created a tonne of pollution and carbon issues with changing his cabinet! Moreso than most ofus will ever create in our entire lifetimes!
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Speaking for myself. I am only addressing the carbon tax. As for Campbell and his govt, I absolutely hate it more than any other govt at any level at any time in this great country. I wouldnt lift a finger to save campbells life if I was the only other person around. I would literally just walk away.
nelson95
Legend

just to stir it up:

Do the natives have to pay the carbon tax?

Just wondering since here in Sardis they have a special card for gas

If not, did they get the rebate

go!
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
pennw
Legend

The sad thing about this all is that every thing that B.C. or Canada does to cut their emissions and how much economic damage it's going to do , it's all in vain. For every bit of fuel not burned in Canada it will all be burned in the emerging economies now or in the future. With China , India , Russia and Brazil coming onto the world stage in a big way the increase overall in automobiles is going to explode. Check out India's new cheapest car designed for the third world by Tata Motors .They will be selling millions of these things . If every car and truck in Canada and the USA was removed it will not change the climate one iota .
Asia is going to be the economic power house of the future , North America is the past. Whatever oil we stop from being used here and now ,is oil we are saving for Asia's the future use . No doubt they are thanking us for cutting our consumption now because they will need our reserves then.
Thanks Gordo , Al ,Arnold , Dion and IPCC . We will all really appreciate your contributions some day . Oh ya, you too, Suzuki , China and big Oil thank you too.
Gerry
Legend

pennw wrote:The sad thing about this all is that every thing that B.C. or Canada does to cut their emissions and how much economic damage it's going to do , it's all in vain. For every bit of fuel not burned in Canada it will all be burned in the emerging economies now or in the future. With China , India , Russia and Brazil coming onto the world stage in a big way the increase overall in automobiles is going to explode. Check out India's new cheapest car designed for the third world by Tata Motors .They will be selling millions of these things . If every car and truck in Canada and the USA was removed it will not change the climate one iota .
Asia is going to be the economic power house of the future , North America is the past. Whatever oil we stop from being used here and now ,is oil we are saving for Asia's the future use . No doubt they are thanking us for cutting our consumption now because they will need our reserves then.
Thanks Gordo , Al ,Arnold , Dion and IPCC . We will all really appreciate your contributions some day . Oh ya, you too, Suzuki , China and big Oil thank you too.
The thread title is quite appropriate when it comes to your post.

What would you like to see happen? Deny the rest of the world the right to live to our standards? How can you justify that?

And by the way, whatever we do to clean up our emissions, it is definitely not in vain. You're trying to justify our continuing pollution and that's plain wrong.
Enough is enough.
pennw
Legend

You sound extremely naive Gerry . I don't want to deny the rest of the world anything . I just don't believe in bankrupting our country to go along with a huge propaganda scheme . In David Suzuki's own words ; "What ever you do , it will never be enough"
That says it all .
The mayor of Delta was in the Province recently talking about how we need to start getting with it planning for the rising sea levels , Delta being below sea level and all . In the same article the sea level allegedly rose 3cm from 1993-2003 . That's a ten year period . Project that to 100 years and you got a whopping 30cm , that's one foot for the worst case scenario. Ya real panic time there mayor of Delta . that means you may have to increase the height of your dikes 6 inches every 50 years.
I could go on for pages Gerry about all the BS surrounding this mass hysteria if you want . The world is not going to end in 50 years from now if we don't heed all the IPCC's dire warnings .
The climate has always been changing , and nothing we can do about that. Antarctica is not melting and it's ice pack is in fact still growing larger every year . So we really won't have to worry about the sea levels any time soon . Certainly not in our great-great grand children's lives.
MacNews
Team Captain

I find the carbon tax is an unnecessary inflaming of already high gas prices.

Ken, the worst Ministry when it comes to name changes is the Ministry of Children and Families. Its name has gotten changed at least once per administration over the past 18+ years.

I read that Harper has saved taxpayers over 30 million a year by reducing the amount of Cabinet Ministers. I never realized how much even a junior Minister costs the public, with his own staff, office and budget.

As for China overtaking the US, that was predicted to occur in the 1970s...but so far it is 38 years late.