Who remembers...

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

pinkfreud

That location was Seymour & Dunsmuir (now BCIT). They also had stores in Park Royal, Kamloops, and Brentwood Mall.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I know for a fact I walked past it, but cants say for sure I actually remember it. That corner sure doesnt look as nice now, sigh
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

pinkfreud wrote:This was my grandpa's jewellery chain during the 60's and 70's. Does anyone remember it?

[img]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n309 ... ellers.jpg[/img]
Wasn't that on the corner of Seymour and ?
pinkfreud

Seymour & Dunsmuir (Northwest Corner). Note that Dunsmuir was one way in the direction opposite to the way it is now.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

bc49 wrote:Old local TV stations: BCTV, CKVU, CHEK...
Yeah, BCTV and CHEK were part of CTV, with CHEK based out of Victoria. CKVU then went on to become U-TV, and I enjoyed their Sports Page show.
Old local Radio stations: CJOR600, LG73 . . .
CJOR600 was famous for its Pat Burns Hotline show on weeknights. And we all know it was the birthplace of Sportstalk with Dan Russell in October 1984. The station became classic rock CHRX on September 2, 1988. That station lasted until January 7, 1994 when it converted to CKBD 600 playing Christian music.

LG73 used to be one of the most famous pop stations until January 31, 2001 when it changed owners several times and did mostly news shows. In 2004, it became MOJO Sports Radio, AM 730 and started doing play-by-play Vancouver Whitecaps, Giants and Seattle Seahawks games. I'm sure this Saturday, a lot of people will be tuning in.
When the Cambie Street Bridge was made of wood
I remember the swing-span option at the centre of the old Cambie street bridge, in which you could either drive inside between the trusses or outside around the trusses.
bbgirl
Legend

The 50 cent coin
MUD or MUSE. Cor blimey, NERD ALERT! [img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/tn ... s/nerd.gif[/img]
Robbie
Hall of Famer

bbgirl wrote:The 50 cent coin
Actually, 50 cent coins are still being minted every year in small numbers. It's not too difficult to find one, especially as change in post offices.

[img]http://www.geocities.com/sdanbewa/Coins ... c_2003.jpg[/img]
bbgirl
Legend

Robbie wrote:
bbgirl wrote:The 50 cent coin
Actually, 50 cent coins are still being minted every year in small numbers. It's not too difficult to find one, especially as change in post offices.

[img]http://www.geocities.com/sdanbewa/Coins ... c_2003.jpg[/img]
Neat!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I remember chasing Nancy Greene across the ole Cambie street bridge..

I remember two Georgia viaducts ago, 59 or 60, driving across in my grandfathers car, it made such a roaring sound that I told my grandfather to hurry up because the bridge was falling down. :yes:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

When quarters and dimes, were made of 50% silver, heck even 80% silver, and for those older than myself, dollar coins at 92.5% silver.
Entertainment value = an all time low
pinkfreud

Rammer wrote:When quarters and dimes, were made of 50% silver, heck even 80% silver, and for those older than myself, dollar coins at 92.5% silver.
And did those sport the head of Queen Elizabeth or the old king?

:lol:
Rammer
Team Captain

pinkfreud wrote:
Rammer wrote:When quarters and dimes, were made of 50% silver, heck even 80% silver, and for those older than myself, dollar coins at 92.5% silver.
And did those sport the head of Queen Elizabeth or the old king?

Why do you ask, young one?
David
Team Captain

Okay who's old enough to remember?:

* a proper old-fashioned zoo in Stanley Park, with monkeys, penguins, and a sad looking yellow polar bear.

* The Aristocratic restaurant at Granville and Broadway (where there's now a Chapter's bookstore) :bawl:

* the seawall before it went all the way around Stanley Park.

* all the tie-die, bead, and 'head' shops along 4th Avenue.

* a hippie commune where Georgia Street meets the Stanley Park Causway.

* the rows of buses lined up along Hastings street outside Empire Stadium during a football game and the old "Export A" scoreboard. :bawl: :bawl:

*frig* I'm old. :x

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:Okay who's old enough to remember?:

* a proper old-fashioned zoo in Stanley Park, with monkeys, penguins, and a sad looking yellow polar bear.

* The Aristocratic restaurant at Granville and Broadway (where there's now a Chapter's bookstore) :bawl:

* the seawall before it went all the way around Stanley Park.

* all the tie-die, bead, and 'head' shops along 4th Avenue.

* a hippie commune where Georgia Street meets the Stanley Park Causway.

* the rows of buses lined up along Hastings street outside Empire Stadium during a football game and the old "Export A" scoreboard. :bawl: :bawl:

*frig* I'm old. :x

DH 8)
But still pretty fast from all reports. 8) :twisted:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Tolls on the Lions Gate Bridge.

White Spot Drive Ins

AW Drive Ins

Drive Ins theatres