Who remembers...

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

When most lower mainlanders didnt even know what a mosquito was.

When paper routes were just for kids and kids collected the money, paid for the papers, and got new customers themselves

When it was safe for a 6 yr old to go around the block alone.
When it was normal for preteens to ride bikes alone anywhere they could get to in a day.

Freedom...Freedom....Freedom!!!!

I wouldnt have given up my childhood freedoms for all the money in the world of today.

I feel so sorry for todays generations never knowing those freedoms. Even the freedom to spend the whole day in the sun without sunscreen and not worry about it.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote: Johnny seven OMA
Remember trying to find all those white bullets after firing all the guns the grenade launcher and the rocket launcher? By that time, you'd forgotten where you shot them.

I can even remember when kids knew that Wiley Coyote falling off a cliff wasn't real, and they couldn't do it without breaking at least an arm.

I can remember when toy guns weren't bad for boys who wanted to play with them.

All this happened before the Political Correctness women began mrinning amok, and planning on running, and ruining other people's lives.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Rolf Harris singing Vancouver Town at the Cave Supper Club.
I love that song! (circa 1971)

My fav lyrics (sung in a thick Australian accent):

"The Lions need a quarterback
The Canucks are just glad to get Kurtenbach back
But are they Australian teams I wonder?
They always seem to be right down under!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahh, childhood memories....

* Dad coming home from work on Friday nights in the summer with a pack of O-Pee-Chee CFL player cards (with stale gum)

* Walking down to Mary's candy store on West Boulevard in Kerrisdale to see how much candy a quarter would get me.

* Going into the Royal Bank on 41st in August for the free glossy black and white Leo's Leaders B.C. Lions player of the week (and Vancouver Canucks in the fall) that were stacked on the counter.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
bc49
Hall of Famer

Recall when . . .

False Creek was just a swampy polluted steamy pit of industrial discontent and there were serious intentions of filling the whole thing in.

Canadian Pacific Airlines and Wardair were regular sites at Van Int.

The Fraser Hwy was actually Hwy 1

Nissan was Datsun
Rammer
Team Captain

Popcorn, pop, chocolate bar and a movie for a $1 on Saturday matinee.

Three chip choices, plain, sour cream and onion, or salt & vinegar

pic a pop for christmas around our house

Full sized candy bars at halloween

The end of the muscle car

Introduction of the mini-skirt

When STD's were curable

When 8-tracks were high living

When thongs were worn on the feet
Last edited by Rammer on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jason Hoover and The Epics

Kentish Steele and the Standells

Midnight Train Review

Lasseter's Den

The Grooveyard

Oil Can Harry's

The Smilin Buddha

Coffee comes only in black or cream and sugar
Robbie
Hall of Famer

pinkfreud wrote:The Western Express lottery
Those were the days when British Columbia was part of the Western Canada Lottery Corporation. The WCLC only administers Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and the Territories now.
The Shriner's Circus at the Coliseum
My school used to give discount coupons for this show.
The Royal Hudson
Yes, that and the Pacific Starlight Dinner Train.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rick James wrote:Dollar 49 Days
Yeah, Woodward's used to be so popular.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

bc49 wrote:$1 and $2 bills made of paper
Pop that came in glass bottles
Yeah, the loonie came out in 1987, and the toonie in 1996.

I also remember those 750 mL pop bottles very well. Essentially, they looked like wine bottles.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Michael Jackson when he was still black.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

The Fraser Hwy was actually Hwy 1
hmmm, when was that??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
David
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:Finally, the days of the NASL and the Vancouver Whitecaps? It was 17 years ago at this time on September 8, 1979 that the Whitecaps were playing in Giants Stadium in New York for the Soccer Bowl against the Tampa Bay Rowdies. The Whitecaps won the Soccer Bowl by a score of 2-1. Now...17 years later, the Whitecaps are in the state of New York again to compete for the championship. Do you feel a sense of deja vu? But somehow, I have a feeling that if the Whitecaps win the championship on Saturday, the reaction in Vancouver won't nearly be as excited and celebratory as it was in September 1979. :sigh:
Not to put down the team's achievements Robbie but you're comparing apples with oranges. The only constant is Bobby Lenarduzzi who remains the face of professional soccer in Vancouver.

The original Vancouver Whitecaps, the one that drew those wild crowds to Empire and, for a short time, to B.C. Place played in the star-studded NASL. True, many of the players were washed-up Europeans here to make a quick buck, but it had a certain 'big league' quality to it with teams in most major North American markets.

After that league folded, pro soccer in Vancouver lay dormant until the Canadian Soccer League was formed and the local team was called the 86'ers. That league folded too (do you see where I'm going with this?)

It was only a marketing gimmick to win back fans nostalgic for the exhilarating days of Peter Beardsley and Willie Johnston that they became the Whitecaps with similar logo and blue & white uniforms while playing in the USL First Division (formerly the A-League). While the football is respectable, it's a notch below the calibre of the MLS where teams play in markets such as New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. In fact many people complain of having to fork out $20 for a ticket when they can watch the same players in a weekend beer league for free!

I wish them every success in Rochester. But tireless efforts by team management to tie this group in with the old Whitecaps is farce!

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

When thongs were worn on the feet
Some changes arent all bad.
* Dad coming home from work on Friday nights in the summer with a pack of O-Pee-Chee CFL player cards (with stale gum)
I remember that too, going into town with mom to the "general" store, no stop lights and getting a pack of Topps baseball cards and then putting all the Yankee players in the spokes of my banana seat bike to make it sound like a motorcycle.

Recently found an old unopened pack of baseball cards from 1983....the gum tsated the same as it did almost 20 years ago.... :lol:
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Lionut
Hall of Famer

David wrote:In fact many people complain of having to fork out $20 for a ticket when they can watch the same players in a weekend beer league for free!DH 8)
You've just described why the Vancouver Ravens lacrosse team died. Very few people were willing to go to GM Place in the winter to pay $20-$25 to see the exact same guys you could see in the WLA in the summer for $8.

I remember when MTV was actually a music channel, and when "Good Rockin' Tonite" and "Friday Night Videos" were considered musically important viewing. This, of course, was right about the time that the "Thriller" video made its debut. 20 years later, it all seems so quaint...
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
bc49
Hall of Famer

Old local TV stations: BCTV, CKVU, CHEK...
Old local Radio stations: CJOR600, LG73 . . .
When the Cambie Street Bridge was made of wood
When the Lougheed Hwy was called the Central Arterial Hwy.
Major prisons in Burnaby (Oakalla) and New West (BC Pen)
When False Creek went all the way up to present day Clark Dr.
In 1956 you could buy a lot in the British Properties from $3,800
When ambulances were station wagons