2017 BC Provincial Election Thread

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Which party will you vote for in the 2017 British Columbia general election on May 9, 2017?

Poll ended at Tue May 09, 2017 3:17 pm

Liberal (Christy Clark)
50%
New Democratic (John Horgan)
50%
Green (Andrew Weaver)
No votes

Total votes: 8
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Reminds me of the US election. Liberals winning the popular votes but the NDP got the most seats.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Going to be minority government with the Green Party holding the balance of power.
aklawitter
All Star

These bozos will now have to work together. Should be fun!
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Not necessarily. Courtenay/Comox is going to be in doubt for a couple of weeks. It is currently sitting as an NDP seat but only with a 9 vote margin with a whole pile of absentee votes to be counted. If that result flips, then the Liberals have their majority and all bets are off for both the NDP and the Greens. Well, not completely off. Whipping votes doesn't always work and the Liberals would have absolutely no margin for error in any of their votes. One rogue MLA, and they could find themselves defeated on any particular issues. Undoubtedly, there will be a by-election or two over the next 4 years as well. That too could be very damaging to the Liberals as history says that it is very hard to win by by-elections for the ruling party so if a vacated seat happens to be Liberal, then look out. I'm not at all confident that the NDP and the Libs can work together. There is just too much of a gulf between them and too many zealots on either side. The Greens are/could be king/queen makers if the current results stand. If I were Andrew Weaver, there would be two non negotiable items. Proportional representation and Party Donations. 1 will address the party's needs for more power and the other will serve a popular idea among the electorate.
I hope that the current status quo holds up.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Who said your vote doesn't matter ?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think it was Donald Trump
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

So apparently after recounting the votes in those ridings that had slim margins of victory, exactly nothing has changed. The vote lead in Courtenay Comox which was 9 votes is apparently now 13. Absentee ballots are still coming with counting beginning today. Overall, it looks like the margin of popular votes has narrowed somewhat as well.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Now we have Darrell and his other brother Darrell trying to take over. And here's me depending on the forest and mining sectors for work and hopefully retirement in 2 or 3 more years. Yeesh. Can't even rely on Alberta this time.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

too bad we cant kick Vancouver island out of bc. then they could have their ndp govt and the mainland could have something better.

curses to all who voted ndp. grrrr

we is in big trouble now.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Dusty
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 1:26 pm
Now we have Darrell and his other brother Darrell trying to take over.
No matter what side of the fence anyone's politics falls, that is still pretty funny!!
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 5:51 pm
Hambone wrote:
No matter what side of the fence anyone's politics falls, that is still pretty funny!!
I nicknamed Horgan "Darrell" quite some time ago because he looks like a doppelganger to Darrell on Storage Wars.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 3:15 pm
too bad we cant kick Vancouver island out of bc. then they could have their ndp govt and the mainland could have something better.

curses to all who voted ndp. grrrr

we is in big trouble now.
Vancouver Island, home of the NDP and Lucky Lager. I ought to know. I lived there the first 37 years of my life. Bit of a funny story regarding the NDP being entrenched on the island. I was back home visiting my 80 year old mother about 10 days before the recent election. She was telling me about when she moved up to the Comox Valley from Parksville before she was married. I don't know if this was before or after she met my dad. I'm thinking it was after because she was 1 month shy of her 20th birthday when they got married and the 1956 election fell a few days after their wedding. Voting age was 19 at the time. Anyways she told me she was informed that "she had to vote CCF because everybody votes CCF here". (The party wasn't yet known as NDP). She says her response was "I'll vote for whomever I damned well want to and who I vote for is none of your business". :wink:
Dusty
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 7:38 am
Dusty wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 5:51 pm
Hambone wrote:
I nicknamed Horgan "Darrell" quite some time ago because he looks like a doppelganger to Darrell on Storage Wars.
Haha... Storage Wars is too new-fangled for me.... I'm stuck way back in the Bob Newhart "Darrell's" era.....
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Does anybody else here think that Rachel Notley is making a huge tactical error buy spouting off that BC has to have this pipeline. That we have no choice in the matter. While in some respects she might have a point, I can think of nothing dumber than one province telling another province what their obligations are. Right now, she would be much smarter to shut up for the time being and wait and see what happens before revving up the citizenry of this province to say "screw you". If she wants to press her concerns, she should be pressing them with the Federal Gov. who ostensibly has jurisdiction over these matters.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I have no problem with her spewing off. She has every right to be concerned given the circumstances. No matter what agreements the two Darrell's have concocted you can bet once in place the Green tail will do their damnedest to wag the NDP dog and they want to kibosh anything resembling a pipeline. For now though while it seems like a shot across Horgan's bow I think it's more a message to her own constituents that she has their backs.