Mike Cacic

Info and tributes to former Lions who have past away

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mike Cacic, a member of the Lions' feared Headhunters front-four of the 1960s, passed away at age 71. He was a local product and one of the most high profile members of that defence. RIP.
Vancouver Sun article
bcbill1
Rookie

I remember stories about the Headhunter days. One in particular of an exibition game against Saskatchewan, in which two veteran Rider O'lineman refused to play, because they felt they shoudn't have to take the pounding that Cacic, was famous for in an exibition game. True ? I know he was one tough SOB. RIP Mike.
David
Team Captain

Sad news indeed. RIP Mike. Even though he was a little before my time, I certainly appreciate his talents. Truly one of the greatest Lions ever. Interesting quote from Bob Ackles today too:

"My memories of Mike's play remain extremely vivid," said Lions president and CEO, Bob Ackles in a statement. "He was an outstanding competitor who possessed the level of ability which would have made him a standout even today.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends."

I always wondered why a Dream Team member and local product to boot was so conspicuously absent from reunions, alumni functions, and team appearances. According to the article, he just kind of walked away from the game after he retired.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

bcbill1 wrote:I remember stories about the Headhunter days. One in particular of an exibition game against Saskatchewan, in which two veteran Rider O'lineman refused to play, because they felt they shoudn't have to take the pounding that Cacic, was famous for in an exibition game. True ? I know he was one tough SOB. RIP Mike.
Yes, that story is indeed true. #67 will be missed.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

A memorial service will be held at noon, Monday the 28th of Jan. at the Guillford hotel 152nd and 104th st. Surrey. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Orininally an integral part, and All-Star member of our first Grey Cup Victory.

Rest in Peace Mike ! :football:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Rammer
Team Captain

Always sad that a revered player passes on, RIP and condolences to his family.
Entertainment value = an all time low