Big congrats to New Canadian Dave Dickenson

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DAVE DICKENSON IS A CANADIAN CITIZEN!
MAY 7, 2024
Congratulations to general manager and head coach Dave Dickenson on becoming a Canadian citizen! 🇨🇦

Nice Stamps interview where he mentions his desire to stay in Canada, how his daughter voted in a recent election and on other new Canadians from different paths who chose this country. Very nice touch.

I typed his freaking name wrong though. (Fixed- MOD)

https://www.stampeders.com/2024/05/07/d ... n-citizen/

"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
don corleone
All Star

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 12:33 pm
DAVE DICKENSON IS A CANADIAN CITIZEN!
MAY 7, 2024
Congratulations to general manager and head coach Dave Dickenson on becoming a Canadian citizen! 🇨🇦

Nice Stamps interview where he mentions his desire to stay in Canada, how his daughter voted in a recent election and on other new Canadians from different paths who chose this country. Very nice touch.

I typed his freaking name wrong though. (Fixed- MOD)

https://www.stampeders.com/2024/05/07/d ... n-citizen/

Next trick will be to get a Treaty #. :wink:

Just thinking today about the new approach in Calgary with Dave as GM and really like the team he is putting together. It's different from Hufnagel who recruited almost everyone where Dave will take a player from another roster if he feels the guy can play. Adam Konar is one I'll be watchiing. And not over paying.

He hasn't been getting the breaks on the field go his way but I see them as a playoff team. Good offense, good defense.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

A great guy and a great addition. I sometimes wonder why more former US players don't settle up here. With all the turmoil down south, the rampant tensions about this that or other thing, You would think that a relatively peaceful Canada might be a welcome change.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 5:17 pm
A great guy and a great addition. I sometimes wonder why more former US players don't settle up here. With all the turmoil down south, the rampant tensions about this that or other thing, You would think that a relatively peaceful Canada might be a welcome change.
The fact that Canada's economy is in the toilet with very little investment, domestic or foreign and thus little economic oppourtunity might be a big deterrent for staying in Canada, post football career for a lot of US guys. Basically what drives our economy these days is selling expensive houses to each other.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 7:39 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 5:17 pm
The fact that Canada's economy is in the toilet with very little investment, domestic or foreign and thus little economic oppourtunity might be a big deterrent for staying in Canada, post football career for a lot of US guys. Basically what drives our economy these days is selling expensive houses to each other.
It's interesting that not all Americans are as plugged into the turmoil and or risks of plunging into turmoil if Trump loses the next election and violence breaks out OR wins and ignores the laws leading to an authoritarian regime. Authoritarian gov't is not just imposed, it's welcomed by many as we see. I fear a bit for Canada now for the same reasons.

I always wondered why Milt Stegall is so tied to Atlanta Georgia but IIRC his wife and kids stayed back home during the season.

For some who don't choose to stay here, it's no doubt family, job prospects and liking where they're from irrespective of the downsides.

Interestingly within weeks of Buck Pierce being traded to Winnipeg Buck's dad said, he believed Buck would reside there permanently. For me - even as a Canadian - I can't see why there but it's reasonable cost. I think a number of American Bombers live in Winnipeg and plan on staying.

In the old days where the likes of Tom Brown stayed in Canada, corporations were hiring these guys in sales and marketing as football was then not a full time job as it is now.

As to Dano's point about the economy there's a duality where some are doing great and others not so much.
Reading "Wanting" by Luke Burgis will tell you what's happening in this era of misrecognizing whose responsible for what issue and scapegoating. The play book for the likes of Trump and the right wingers is tapping into that. We aren't blaming corporations despite they're the reason for failing productivity and lack of competition (See BOC Dep Gov. Speech). Food retailers profit margins doubled since covid. Share bingebacks from excess profits of $170 billion outdid the USA in 12 months ('22-23) yet we blame gov'ts.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy