League Thows The Book at Chad Kelly

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Chad Kelly has just been suspended by the CFL for the preseason and a minimum of 9 regular season games and ordered to undertake counselling for violating the league's Gender-Based Violence policy.

He won't be reinstated until the league is satisfied that he has completed counselling and met the assessment process.

The plot thickens for Nathan to Argos, but I don't see it happening. Not this year anyway. I think Nathan will wait it out, at least for the 2024 season. But it will be interesting to see who lines up under centre for the Argos when the Leos open their season June 9 in Toronto.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That’s a huge suspension but well warranted, given the league’s strong stance against gender-based violence. Kelly has had a history of off-field troubles. It will be interesting to see if he can come back from this one.

https://3downnation.com/2024/05/07/cfl- ... ine-games/
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Cameron Dukes is probably having the best day ever. Even if the Argos cut Kelly tomorrow they are still handcuffed by the $250K signing bonus paid to Kelly. They won't be able to afford Rourke, even if he did decide to return to the CFL. In fact none of the most attractive destinations (Toronto, BC, Winnipeg) could come up with the scratch for Nathan this year. BC has already paid VA $200K of his hard money for 2024. Collaros is the last year of his contract and has $250K guaranteed.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm a little bit surprised at several things here:

1. The silence of the Argos on this entire incident letting it blow up in the media and the CFL taking action before they did.

It may be their the advice of their legal counsel to keep their mouths shut but letting others create the narrative here is not what good issues management lets slide UNLESS they know it's true and whats Chad Kelly to get what's coming.

2. A good issues management process ensures an internal investigation is conducted quickly and they interview all the players who might have witnessed any interactions specific to what is claimed in the civil case.

I've kind of wondered if Pinball is much of a leader when it comes to the issues like his HC suggestiing he'd be interested in the Boise State or other NFL jobs right after they make him and Chad Kelly who has made similar comments on exiting out of the CFL since his deal was nailed down.

I could see the Bombers or BC making the claim that we tied up our GM and HC and the long term QB but not Argos if they didn't nail these guys down as to no interest beyond the CFL.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
don corleone
All Star

So much for a fair trial. And yet if they would have re-newed the contract none of this would have happened. Crickets from Ryan Dinwiddie as well. The whole thing seems weirdly targeted to me.

Silver cloud is a fresh and healthy QB ready for the stretch run. Would not surprise me if they add Taylor Cornelius. Not that big of a hit to Kelly with the signing bonus already paid.
don corleone
All Star

Had to check to see Kelly was given a 3 year $1.85 m extension August 31, 2023 so assuming there were no giant red flags needing to be adressed at that time.

Bethel - Thompson was sitting at home at the time and wouldn't they love to have him now. I did / do like Chad Kelly as a football player.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

don corleone wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:12 pm
So much for a fair trial. And yet if they would have re-newed the contract none of this would have happened. Crickets from Ryan Dinwiddie as well. The whole thing seems weirdly targeted to me.

Silver cloud is a fresh and healthy QB ready for the stretch run. Would not surprise me if they add Taylor Cornelius. Not that big of a hit to Kelly with the signing bonus already paid.
The CFL hired an independent investigator to look into things. It appears that investigator has provided a report on their findings and the CFL has acted on them, as they should. As for the Argos and their personnel they have indicated they are not done with investigating that aspect. To me that makes sense as there are really 2 parts to this; did Kelly do what he was accused of and what did the Argos do about it including a possible cover-up. I think they needed to figure out the Kelly part before moving on to the Argos' role. In the meantime I think there was urgency to get to this point to hand out discipline, if necessary, before training camp or the season began.

As for waiting for trial this is a case of a civil lawsuit, not a criminal trial. When it comes to bullying or sexual harassment in the work place it should never happen that an employer waits for something to hit the court system and be finalized there before acting.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 7:43 am
don corleone wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:12 pm

The CFL hired an independent investigator to look into things. It appears that investigator has provided a report on their findings and the CFL has acted on them, as they should. As for the Argos and their personnel they have indicated they are not done with investigating that aspect. To me that makes sense as there are really 2 parts to this; did Kelly do what he was accused of and what did the Argos do about it including a possible cover-up. I think they needed to figure out the Kelly part before moving on to the Argos' role. In the meantime I think there was urgency to get to this point to hand out discipline, if necessary, before training camp or the season began.

As for waiting for trial this is a case of a civil lawsuit, not a criminal trial. When it comes to bullying or sexual harassment in the work place it should never happen that an employer waits for something to hit the court system and be finalized there before acting.
You're spot on here that issues like this must be addressed immediately -if known.

If not known by Argos, they should have come out and said something instead of letting the CFL get into it instead.
We didn't know of this, we are immediately looking into this as we take this seriously.
By not acting, they forced the CFL to be the one's who took action as I recall.

I led internal investigations if it was a media issue or public issue and we'd have most details and messaging within a hour or two. There were times we needed to get more information but we never ignored an issue even if it was messaging and briefing notes ready to go if needed.

I just don't think Argos and MLSE handled this well. The CFL eventually went public first.
The team should have said something. If they're still looking into it, they and Kelly are losing. IF they knew it was ugly, they should have got it out fast with how they're going to fix it and ensure nothing like this has to come to the team from outside ever again.

If they had done anything likely Chad Kelly would not be out in the media denying this. They'd have advised him to STFU or else.

For those believing the worst, the easiest thing to do for the Argos and Kelly was settle this as this former contractor isn't asking for much.
There is always a chance that the complainant has blown this out of proportion as the whole suit seems to this observer kind of screwy.
maxlion
Legend

There was always a risk that something like this would happen with Kelly, so it should come as no surprise to anyone. Perhaps he will take this as an opportunity to make personal changes for the better. If not, there is a chance that this is the end of the road for him, at least as far as the CFL is concerned.

I think the CFL handled this in a careful and thoughtful way and did what they needed to do in difficult circumstances, so kudos to them.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 12:18 pm
There was always a risk that something like this would happen with Kelly, so it should come as no surprise to anyone. Perhaps he will take this as an opportunity to make personal changes for the better. If not, there is a chance that this is the end of the road for him, at least as far as the CFL is concerned.

I think the CFL handled this in a careful and thoughtful way and did what they needed to do in difficult circumstances, so kudos to them.
My sense is that the lack of action by the Argos forced the CFL to act.

It's hard not to think there is wrong doing on Kelly's part given his record and that more recent, unexplained rant on social media about something that looked alarming like a movie would do with the guy in a dark light and looking not right.

I thought he had such a good year in TO after MBT moved on where he moved to Toronto and worked hard every day off season with film study etc.
First odd signs were the day of the East Final where he looked not right and his QB coach Mike Miller was not there - never explained by Argos either.
don corleone
All Star

Good analysis Toppy.

I'm looking forward to the training camp reports soon and hope the Kamloops weather and air quality is up to snuff in order for all to enjoy.

A last comment for me on the Chad Kelly story has me wondering why it was only Kelly and not the Argos being named as defendants.

Conspiracy theory #9 is that Kelly was targeted to hurt the Argos chances of success on the field similar to how Shawn Lemon was targeted earlier. Not saying the incidents were minor in nature but a lot of that kind of stuff has been going on for a long time. Lots worse.

Wade Miller is the guy behind the scenes pushing the envelope imo. It's exactly his style of fair play. He's got the schedule and the command center looked after already and now he just needs teams to not be able to play their best players. Case in point was last year when Pete Robertson was suspended for the banjo bowl after Collaros took the dive to draw a penalty. Sunday night meeting of the rules committee only to be out done by the Thursday night meeting before the GC when they banned air horns. Sorry to stoop so low.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

don corleone wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 3:00 pm

A last comment for me on the Chad Kelly story has me wondering why it was only Kelly and not the Argos being named as defendants.
I don't know how you missed it DC. The Argos WERE also named in the lawsuit. Just last week they filed a statement of defence.

https://3downnation.com/2024/02/22/form ... arassment/

https://3downnation.com/2024/04/10/laws ... nt-claims/

https://3downnation.com/2024/05/02/toro ... ing-coach/
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

A 9 game suspension. Wow. You have to wonder how bad the incident must have been to stir the usually recalcitrant CFL into handing out 9 games. I mean, they take the players that the NFL suspends.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

As Hambone states it's a suit against both Kelly and the Argos:
The plaintiff seeks $50,000 from Kelly for alleged Ontario Human Rights Code violations and an additional $295,603 from the Argos for wrongful dismissal. The team stated damages claimed by the plaintiff are “excessive, remote, not recoverable at law or are as a result of her failure to diligently mitigate her alleged losses.” The Argonauts stated the lawsuit should be dismissed with costs on a substantial indemnity basis.
Reading those two articles and the strength of the Argos response suggests all might not be what it seems here.
If she's a contract worker wrongful dismissal and $295K seems crazy. One article shows clearly she has no substantive claim.

The Argos stated she began her employment on May 15, 2018, on a fixed-term contract for each season, which the team claims is “customary in the sports industry.” Her agreement was terminated on November 30, 2023, in accordance with her contract, dated April 21, for the given season. She earned a $23,000 base salary and participated in the franchise’s group-insured benefits program.
Her employment was seasonal and not guaranteed beyond the end of a season.
In actual wrongful dismissal cases for management in Canada, the rule of thumb is 1 month's pay for every year of management so a 12 year management/exec person could get 12 months pay. How a $23K contractor could ask for $295K is kind of odd.

The CFL action to suspend Chad Kelly is separate and not related to the suit as they can act irrespective of the law suit being heard or being successful just based on what they learn from interviews.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Mike Clemons speaks FINALLY!!

Some interesting comments including what might happen if Chad appealed and then could play.

Clemons said he wasn't aware of the allegations until they became public. He added he never received a report of the CFL's investigation but believes the Argos' legal representatives got an executive summary.
Pinball is taking some blame here for not acting earlier:
"If I could do it differently I'd ask a whole lot more questions a lot earlier."
"... Clemons said anyone looking for accountability within the organization need not look further than him.

"If you want to blame someone, I'm the guy," he said. "If that's anybody, it's me because I'm the boss."

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/suspended-qb-cha ... RELIKETHIS