2024 CFL draft (Lion's picks)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:10 pm
cromartie wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:57 pm
Hambone wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:54 pm
And George Una OL from Windsor it is.
You’re welcome.
For predicting OL or predicting Una? I'm not sure which one of us beat the other to the punch. I posted in this thread back on Feb 22nd that BC's biggest draft need was OL. As much as the argument for receiver enticed me to change my mind I still was thinking OL was the way to go. I can't remember which mock draft I read a few weeks back but whoever it was predicted Una. After reading the reasoning I had Una as the pick I wanted.
Just being pithy. You’re doing a fine job here. Very happy with Una.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DB Christophe Beaulieu of Laval at 26. We can set the snooze button or watch Canucks game. Next pick isn't until the 5th.

In 3D's DB rankings JC Abbott had him ranked 2nd best DB after Labrosse. In his top 25 rankings which included Adams, Johnson, McLachlan and Manu he had Beaulieu ranked 18th.
Last edited by Hambone on Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:24 pm
Hambone wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:10 pm
cromartie wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:57 pm

You’re welcome.
For predicting OL or predicting Una? I'm not sure which one of us beat the other to the punch. I posted in this thread back on Feb 22nd that BC's biggest draft need was OL. As much as the argument for receiver enticed me to change my mind I still was thinking OL was the way to go. I can't remember which mock draft I read a few weeks back but whoever it was predicted Una. After reading the reasoning I had Una as the pick I wanted.
Just being pithy. You’re doing a fine job here. Very happy with Una.
There's a helmet for that. Lol.
OV:54-40
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:37 pm
DB Christophe Beaulieu of Laval at 26. We can set the snooze button or watch Canucks game. Next pick isn't until the 5th.
Really nice pick where they got him IMO - all-star D-half with some superb testing #s - might be able to challenge for starting safety soon if they try him there.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

OV:54-40 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:40 pm
Hambone wrote:
Really nice pick where they got him IMO - all-star D-half with some superb testing #s - might be able to challenge for starting safety soon if they try him there.
Provides depth there for sure. I expect Greene will be starting S this year.
OV:54-40
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:46 pm
Hambone wrote:
Likely with his experience now and looked pretty decent last year.

Ringland and now Beaulieu are maybe better DB talents who could take safety perhaps IMO; not with pencilled-in thinking though.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions took defensive players with their fourth, fifth and sixth and seventh picks before taking a flyer on TE Theo Johnson with their final pick in the 8th round.

https://www.cfl.ca/draft-tracker/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

John Hodge of 3downnation.com analyzes every pick in the draft.

https://3downnation.com/2024/04/30/anal ... cfl-draft/
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:55 pm
Hambone wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:46 pm

Likely with his experience now and looked pretty decent last year.

Ringland and now Beaulieu are maybe better DB talents who could take safety perhaps IMO; not with pencilled-in thinking though.
First they have to earn a roster spot. With the depth of NAT talent BC has any newcomers will have a challenge to grab a spot. It was easy to go through the roster and come up with 19 returning vets who will be very tough to dislodge for the 21 game day spots and I wasn't including special teams mainstays like Isaiah Messam and Patrice Rene and veteran mostly PR guys like Packer and St.Pierre.

3 Receivers - Cottoy, McInnis & Harty
4 OL - Couture, Chungh, Knevel & 1 backup (Peirson or Una)
1 RB/FB - Mackie
4 DL - Menard, Cherry, Bemiy & special teams stud Archibald
3 LB - Hladik, Lokombo & Varga
2 DB - Greene & Bagayogo
1 K - Whyte
1 LS - Pickett

Other returning vets - Messam, Rene, Packer & St.Pierre
Previously drafted players - Covington, Joseph, Ringland, States-McClean
2024 picks - Una, Tieide, Beaulieu, Dava, Ganyi, Marchant plus flyers Benedet & Johnson

Toss out Benedet. With $100K in guaranteed money from the Bears he'll have to soil the sheets for them not to give him a year or two to earn a spot. Similarly toss out Johnson who will be in the NFL for many years and you're left with 12 players fighting for 2 game roster spots. If Joseph can deliver on the things that BC saw that led them to take him in the first round in 2021 I think he could wind up on the game roster rotating with Menard. Even that might be a tight fit with the other DL talent BC has. If Stove Richardson has left his achilles problems in the rear view mirror they are stacked with him, Banks and Global DeBaillie at tackle and Tuehema, Robertson at one end. Siddiqi is still there as well as Marcus Moore. Siddiqi became a mainstay on special teams in addition to getting in on the DL rotation.

It's going to be an uber-competitive camp with some very talented NAT players not making the 46 or PR. Training camp injuries of course can change things. Perhaps we will see some trades to clear some of the log jams?

EDITED to add Covington.
Last edited by Hambone on Wed May 01, 2024 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:52 pm
It's going to be an uber-competitive camp with some very talented NAT players not making the 46 or PR. Training camp injuries of course can change things. Perhaps we will see some trades to clear some of the log jams?
True, but I don’t expect the Lions to send any very talented NAT players packing. The 46-man roster has really become a 54-man roster. The Lions stashed 8 players on injured lists at full salary for most of last season. Many of those were healthy scratches who were added to the active roster when real injuries occurred.