CFL releases partial negotiation lists for each team

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Here is the Lions list. It is very interesting to see 8 of the 10 names are quarterbacks, the most of any team:

Greg Ducre DB Washington
Ryan Finley QB NC State
Deondre Francois QB Florida State
Jake Fromm QB Georgia
Gage Gubrud QB Eastern Washington
Lamar Jackson QB Louisville
Najee Murray DB Kent State
Shea Patterson QB Michigan
Brett Rypien QB Boise State
Khalil Tate QB Arizona
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lions list:
Greg Ducre DB Washington - 5'10" 185 - graduated in 2014. Was briefly on BC's PR in 2016 then allowed to try out for Indy. He was on Pittsburgh's IR in 2017.

Ryan Finley QB NC State - 6'4" 205 - 2 years at Boise State then transferred to UNC. Just completed his senior season.

Deondre Francois QB Florida State - 6'1" 205 - redshirted in 2015, started as redshirt freshman, tore patellar tendon 1st game in 2017 and done for season. 2 more years of eligibility

Jake Fromm QB Georgia - 6'2" 225 - true freshman and took George to BCS Bowl in January. 3 more years of eligibility.

Gage Gubrud QB Eastern Washington - 6'2" 195 - out of E.Washington which has Bo Levi Mitchell, Matt Nichols, TJ Lee, JC Sherritt, Tevin McDonald amongst its grads to the CFL. Vernon Adams spent time there before transferring to Oregon. - 1 more year of eligibility

Lamar Jackson QB Louisville - 6'3" 210 - Heisman Trophy finalist in 2017 has 1 more year of eligibility.

Najee Murray DB Kent State - 5'8" 182 - spent 2017 rookie season with Cleveland Browns on PR I assume. Played 4 exhibition games but nothing in regular season.

Shea Patterson QB Michigan - 6'2" 203 - just finished sophomore year with Ole Miss and has transferred to Michigan - 2 more years of eligibility.

Brett Rypien QB Boise State - 6'2" 208 - nephew of Mark Rypien - 1 more year of eligibility

Khalil Tate QB Arizona - 6'2" 208 - just complete sophomore season. Dude has wheels. In a wild 45-42 win over Colorado in October he rushed for an FBS record 327 yards and 4 TDs of 58, 28, 47 and 75 yards. Also chipped in with 142 yards passing with 1 TD. 2 more years of eligibility.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

cjones2451
Rookie

Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:08 pm
Lions list:
Greg Ducre DB Washington - 5'10" 185 - graduated in 2014. Was briefly on BC's PR in 2016 then allowed to try out for Indy. He was on Pittsburgh's IR in 2017.

Ryan Finley QB NC State - 6'4" 205 - 2 years at Boise State then transferred to UNC. Just completed his senior season.

Deondre Francois QB Florida State - 6'1" 205 - redshirted in 2015, started as redshirt freshman, tore patellar tendon 1st game in 2017 and done for season. 2 more years of eligibility

Jake Fromm QB Georgia - 6'2" 225 - true freshman and took George to BCS Bowl in January. 3 more years of eligibility.

Gage Gubrud QB Eastern Washington - 6'2" 195 - out of E.Washington which has Bo Levi Mitchell, Matt Nichols, TJ Lee, JC Sherritt, Tevin McDonald amongst its grads to the CFL. Vernon Adams spent time there before transferring to Oregon. - 1 more year of eligibility

Lamar Jackson QB Louisville - 6'3" 210 - Heisman Trophy finalist in 2017 has 1 more year of eligibility.

Najee Murray DB Kent State - 5'8" 182 - spent 2017 rookie season with Cleveland Browns on PR I assume. Played 4 exhibition games but nothing in regular season.

Shea Patterson QB Michigan - 6'2" 203 - just finished sophomore year with Ole Miss and has transferred to Michigan - 2 more years of eligibility.

Brett Rypien QB Boise State - 6'2" 208 - nephew of Mark Rypien - 1 more year of eligibility

Khalil Tate QB Arizona - 6'2" 208 - just complete sophomore season. Dude has wheels. In a wild 45-42 win over Colorado in October he rushed for an FBS record 327 yards and 4 TDs of 58, 28, 47 and 75 yards. Also chipped in with 142 yards passing with 1 TD. 2 more years of eligibility.
Nice update Hambone!!! Thanks :thup:
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Didn't see Logan Woodside on anyone's list, which surprises me, honestly.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:00 am
Didn't see Logan Woodside on anyone's list, which surprises me, honestly.
Keep in mind the release lists represent only 10 names for each club out of a possible 45 max. If every team is maxed out on their 45 there are still 315 names that weren't made public.

I wonder if teams just randomly provided names or if there was some strategy in the way they did it. BC's list showed 8 QBs and 2 DBs. The 2 DBs are already out in the pro ranks. Ryan Finley is the only QB eligible to play pro and he's likely waiting to see what NFL interest their is come NFL Draft day and priority UDFA signing period. The other 7 can't consider the CFL until the 2019 season. On the flip side the Riders list is almost the opposite with 7 positional players, 2 QBs and one QB/WR player in BJ Daniels whom Rider fans have had on their long list of future saviours for the past 2 or 3 years. Of their 10 only Penn State QB Trace McSorley still has NCAA eligibility remaining. Luis Perez is in the same boat as Finley. Adam Zaruba signed a futures deal with the Eagles last month. The other 7 have all had cups of coffee in the NFL and are currently free agents.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good thread, Johnny. :thup:

I like this step. It takes the negotiation list somewhat out of the dark web, where conspiracies exist. LOL

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/f ... story.html
CFL team calls dibs on QB Deondre Francois — if he wants to join league after FSU

If Florida State quarterback Deondre Francois wanted to play in the Canadian Football League after his college football career, he already has a team primed to acquire him for his services.

Francois, a former Orlando Olympia High standout, was named in the BC Lions’ negotiation list on Tuesday, as the nine CFL teams publicly announced 10 players on their respective lists of 45 players for the first time in league history.

Basically, if Francois were to play in the CFL instead of another professional league, he would not be drafted by a CFL team or have the liberty to negotiate a deal as a free agent. He must sign with the Lions on a minimum salary deal.

CFL senior writer Chris O’Leary likened the negotiation list as a “dibs system” for CFL teams on players they see as a potential fit in the league – even if they have NFL potential.

Once a player named to a “neg list” declares to play in the CFL, a team has 10 days to offer him the minimum contract of two years at $53,000 per season, according to a January report by TSN.com on the league’s quirky dynamic.

When a team identifies a prospective player – whether in college or already in another professional league – the team can appoint the player to its neg list ending any chance for negotiations as a free agent or draft prospect, the report said.

The CFL recently approved a new practice to publicly share 10 players from an allotted 45-player negotiation list. This practice will be conducted every February and December.

The neg lists released featured an eclectic collection of prospects, including:

•Players preparing for the NFL draft in Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield, Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson, and USF quarterback Quinton Flowers.

•Quarterbacks still in college in Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa, UCF’s McKenzie Milton, NC State’s Ryan Finley, Georgia’s Jake Fromm, Michigan’s Shea Patterson and Arizona’s Khalil Tate.

•Quarterbacks looking for another opportunity after NFL stints like Johnny Manziel, Robert Griffin III and Colin Kaepernick.

Players can be added, removed or traded from the list at any time.

“Scouting potential CFL players and managing negotiation lists are just a few of the things our teams do around the clock in a never-ending effort to always get better,” CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie said in a news release.

“The CFL is also constantly striving to improve. We need to do more to ensure our great league is featured in the conversation about sports and entertainment that is also happening around the clock today. Publicly releasing some of the names on our negotiation list is a step towards greater transparency. It gives the fans that support us and the media that cover us more CFL to talk about as we all look forward to our upcoming combines, draft and training camps.”

Francois will be limited this spring for Florida State still recovering from a torn patellar tendon in his left knee suffered against Alabama in the season opener last season.

The redshirt junior is expected to compete with sophomore James Blackman for the starting quarterback job under new coach Willie Taggart in 2018.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/cfl-teams-rel ... -1.1005314
CFL teams release partial negotiation lists

By Dave Naylor

Tuesday may not amount to an historic day for the Canadian Football League, but it does mark an interesting change in the way the league has always gone about its business.

CFL teams don’t draft American players. They protect their rights on something called negotiation lists, collections of 45 names per team that allow franchises to secure the CFL rights to players mostly in college football or the National Football League.

The lists are shared among teams but kept secret from the public, which never made a whole lot of sense in a world where leagues are fighting for every bit of attention they can get.

For years, fans and members of the media asked why, pointing out that there would seem to be obvious upsides to releasing negotiation lists: It would stimulate discussion, create anticipation and provide fans with another way to engage with the sport.

All of which fell on deaf ears.

That is until last month, when commissioner Randy Ambrosie put the case for releasing at least some of the names before the league’s presidents and general managers. After a discussion and some debate, they voted to take a small step towards change by having each team release 10 names from its list twice a year ­– once in February and again in December on the eve of NCAA bowl season.

“When you’re out of sight, you’re out of mind,” said Ambrosie. “You might have been able to get away with that 30 years ago… I think this is a recognition by the presidents, governors and GMs that we are in a different era and if we’re going to compete for the hearts and minds of fans, then we’re going to have to be more transparent with the media who tell our stories.”

It simply makes sense that football fans in Canada should have known during last month’s College Football Playoff National Championship game that Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm is CFL property of the B.C. Lions or that Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa belongs to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

This fall, Saskatchewan Roughriders fans can watch Penn State senior Trace McSorley with special attention, while Toronto Argonauts fans can watch Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield take his shot at the NFL with added interest.

Not all of the players will eventually come to the CFL, but that’s the nature of the negotiation list itself. A good list isn’t one full of the biggest names but one stacked with those who may be a better fit for the Canadian game than the NFL.

Let the fans debate them. Let members of the media have their say.

​It’s not hard to see that the league would like negotiation lists to be entirely public one day. This week marks a small step into a more modern age for the CFL.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

while it is nice to have this kind of info, I have to say that not knowing any of the behind the scenes stuff never stopped me from enjoying the CFL to the fullest.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Hambone
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:25 pm
while it is nice to have this kind of info, I have to say that not knowing any of the behind the scenes stuff never stopped me from enjoying the CFL to the fullest.
I was always far more interested in the general makeup of a neg list, the turnover of names through the course of a year and how many players actually were signed from the process. The actual names themselves didn't interest me nearly as much.

The more I've come to understand the process however the more I can see a team would want to use it. If I was a GM I'd want to do everything I could to get a player onto the neg list before tendering an offer because the process effectively strips the prospect of any negotiating power. At every tryout camp a GM can literally have the email to CFL headquarters all filled out and ready to go to add 2 or 3 names of guys they would like to sign from the camp while removing the same number to make room. Once they do that they are free to make the lowball minimum salary offer as is required under the CFL Neg List rules.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I think there's some clubs see it as embarrassing that the neg list likely contains some pie in the sky names. It only takes one hack ownership group to release an Aaron Rodgers before the perpetual naysayers roll their eyes.

But I don't think the Lions are embarrassed, and I think that's why the Lions largely released who they did, none of the QBs are likely to show up here. It's far more likely that some of the guys clubs aren't releasing the identities of will, hence the reason they're withheld from the public.

A guy like Woodside, who isn't likely to get much attention in the NFL but, in my opinion is well suited to play in Canada, has to be on someone's list and they aren't making him public.