Darian Durant - Signs 1 year deal with Bombers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Link Here

Well, guess that answers that question.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Not a fan of Darian Durant. Not really a fan of Kavis Reed either.

I thought they kind of deserved each other.

Durant may help the Bombers depth, unless he tries to run a coach out of town. He won't have that kind of power in Winnipeg. Will he help the attitudes in Winnipeg? Dunno about that ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:52 am

Durant may help the Bombers depth, unless he tries to run a coach out of town. He won't have that kind of power in Winnipeg. Will he help the attitudes in Winnipeg? Dunno about that ...
If the opportunity presents itself, I hope Durant has a mini-renaissance at QB. Not that I am a Durant booster (push comes to shove, I am pretty ambivalent about the guy) but the more quality QBs in the league, the better.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

A quick read over at the Bombers Forum, says that most fans are pretty ok with the signing as it increased there QB depth. Also probably means the last of Dan Lefever (sp?)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:32 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:52 am

If the opportunity presents itself, I hope Durant has a mini-renaissance at QB. Not that I am a Durant booster (push comes to shove, I am pretty ambivalent about the guy) but the more quality QBs in the league, the better.
Is Durant quality at this time? Chris Jones did not think so. Reed does not seem to think so.

Durant beat us in that playoff game, mostly through 4th quarter runs. He seems to misfire a lot, even at the best of times. He has some grit.

Mostly though, this observer wonders how much of a team player he is, or does he undemine?

So I wonder about his talent level, and I wonder about his attitude. Is he the ideal backup? Don't think so.

Didn't intend to rant on Durant, but times are quiet on the football front. He has 2 Grey Cup rings. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Durant doesn't have a whole lot of options. At his age, take what you can get and be grateful.
maxlion
Legend

Durant at his best had very good but perhaps less than elite technical skills and knowledge, and overcame any deficiencies in these areas with a high level of drive and competitiveness. This drive and competitiveness may have made him hard to coach or play with at times. Now that he is willingly embracing a backup role, I wonder if we might see a different kind of leadership emerge from him. I think this could turn out very well for both Durant and the Bombers.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

As a backup, he is a considerable upgrade to the Bombers over what they had last year. If Nichols gets hurt at all, then he could credibly step in for the short term, much like we have used Lulay.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

My fiendish dream is that Durant has to come off the bench in the Labour Day Classic to lead the Bombers to a come-from-behind win over the Riders at Mosaic. The reaction over on RF would be epic! ;)
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:59 pm
My fiendish dream is that Durant has to come off the bench in the Labour Day Classic to lead the Bombers to a come-from-behind win over the Riders at Mosaic. The reaction over on RF would be epic! ;)
That would break the Stubblejumper version of the internetz!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm not a huge Durant fan but I agree with the CC Kid that it's all good if the CFL has quality QBs on all teams.

I'm not sure of this as a good move but Lapo must think he can do something with the guy. But let's face it, he was freaking awful in those last outings last year.

Duron Carter to return to the CFL. Turns out he and Chris Jones are on the same page. Carter says he wants to be where he's wanted and he wants to win a Grey Cup. When they say this, it sounds like they're committed here.

Jones said he was off to the US and south Florida to meet Carter noted that being wanted was an issue.

I think this is good news for the CFL.

He'll do 3 things next year:
1. run backs on FGs into the end zone.
2. WR
3. CB

https://www.tsn.ca/riders-carter-reach- ... n-1.975008

https://www.tsn.ca/carter-s-dynamic-fir ... s-1.975196
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
CardiacKid
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:11 pm
Duron Carter to return to the CFL. Turns out he and Chris Jones are on the same page. Carter says he wants to be where he's wanted and he wants to win a Grey Cup. When they say this, it sounds like they're committed here.

Jones said he was off to the US and south Florida to meet Carter noted that being wanted was an issue.

I think this is good news for the CFL.

He'll do 3 things next year:
1. run backs on FGs into the end zone.
2. WR
3. CB

https://www.tsn.ca/riders-carter-reach- ... n-1.975008

https://www.tsn.ca/carter-s-dynamic-fir ... s-1.975196
It will be interesting to see how it unfolds for Carter this coming season. He was far more mature last season than I thought possible based on his past behavior.

But it could have gone pear-shaped based on how the first handful of games went for Carter at the start of last year. He wasn't targeted very much, he got very few looks compared to his colleagues in the Rider receiving corps. And you could plainly see the vintage Carter begin to bubble to the surface. Lippy, throwing tantrums, getting the ole hair-dryer from Chris Jones.

It took him getting the ball and getting involved in the offense to become a good team-mate. As Jones said, Carter is happier when he is busy. Of course, the flip side is he is a distraction when not being a major target.

When he played cornerback towards the end of last year, was that done to keep him "happy"? If so, will Jones need to keep upping the ante to prevent Carter from getting mopey?
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Good fit for Durant and Bombers. The Bombers are headed in the right direction and Durant still has skills. Rarely does a CFL QB stay healthy enough to start 18 games in a season and Durant could be the right guy to step in for 3 or 4 games and still deliver wins. Nichols is clearly the #1 guy, but I would not be surprised if Durant does not get some of the credit for the Bombers hosting either the WDSF or WDF in November.
BC 1988
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:36 am
Good fit for Durant and Bombers. The Bombers are headed in the right direction and Durant still has skills. Rarely does a CFL QB stay healthy enough to start 18 games in a season and Durant could be the right guy to step in for 3 or 4 games and still deliver wins. Nichols is clearly the #1 guy, but I would not be surprised if Durant does not get some of the credit for the Bombers hosting either the WDSF or WDF in November.
As long as Nichols and Durant get along. IIRC, Nichols got himself traded out of EDM with attitude issues. Of course, with the terrible level of Durant's play last season, Nichols wouldn't feel threatened by that. (I wonder how much injuries factored in Durant's inability to throw the ball).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer