Johnny Manziel Offered 2 Year Contract

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the TiCats idea. They still keep his CFL rights and I doubt anyone in the NFL is going to change their opinion of Manziel based on two weeks at a football camp. So Austin/Jone tell Johnny Football to go show them something in The Spring League and maybe he gets a better offer from the TiCats.
BC 1988
Legend

I like what HAM did there. :rotf:
It's what he deserves with his disrespectful attitude to our game.
South Pender
Legend

BC 1988 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:03 am
I like what HAM did there. :rotf:
It's what he deserves with his disrespectful attitude to our game.
Although that statement would seem to indicate an end to the Ticats' interest in Manziel, I'm not sure we can necessarily assume that. The spring league ends before CFL training camps.
BC 1988
Legend

South Pender wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 am
Although that statement would seem to indicate an end to the Ticats' interest in Manziel, I'm not sure we can necessarily assume that. The spring league ends before CFL training camps.
I know. it was just really funny the way the Ticats did it--HUGE CAPS headline then a tiny actual message below (and reading the confused comments that followed).
Spring league isn't going to prove he's worth $500K.
CardiacKid
Legend

Certainly some aspects of his behaviour could be put down to having untreated bi-polar disorder but I think you can analyze the totality of his attitude and actions and determine there are some very immature components to the man.

Playing in the spring league is probably the best place for him right now. If he has an verifiable diagnosis of being bi-polar, he needs to concentrate on managing that if he wants to live a full life.

I find some of what he has done in the past to be distasteful but perhaps there were mitigating circumstances. Certainly abuse of substances and having addictions is a tell-tale sign....I give the guy the benefit of the doubt. But if he pursues a professional career without dealing with his illness (again, if he has a diagnosis from a professional), then he is just going to be in a world of hurt until his final breath. Which might be sooner rather than later if he doesn't do the smart thing.
South Pender
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:52 am
Certainly some aspects of his behaviour could be put down to having untreated bi-polar disorder but I think you can analyze the totality of his attitude and actions and determine there are some very immature components to the man.

Playing in the spring league is probably the best place for him right now. If he has an verifiable diagnosis of being bi-polar, he needs to concentrate on managing that if he wants to live a full life.

I find some of what he has done in the past to be distasteful but perhaps there were mitigating circumstances. Certainly abuse of substances and having addictions is a tell-tale sign....I give the guy the benefit of the doubt. But if he pursues a professional career without dealing with his illness (again, if he has a diagnosis from a professional), then he is just going to be in a world of hurt until his final breath. Which might be sooner rather than later if he doesn't do the smart thing.
Good points. If he has been living with untreated bipolar disorder, we need to cut him some slack vis-a-vis his off-field behavior. And, as you say, if he can now get this disorder under proper control with the right therapy, perhaps his substance-abuse and behavioral problems will disappear. I'd sure like to see that, as it is clear he has talent.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This is purely Manziel's belief (fantasy) that he just has to turn up and toss a few TDs in 2 crap games and bingo be signed to an NFL team.

Heard Dave Naylor say that JM is not a profile for a back up so that any team that wants him would have to see him as their starter or basically it'll be a gong show (my words not his).
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
South Pender
Legend

Just another item for the Manziel file (or maybe the "Now I've heard everything" file):

Manziel blames Browns for not realizing that he may be lazy. (Manziel was the Browns' 1st-round pick in the 2014 NFL draft.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... y-be-lazy/
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It's everybody's fault instead of his. Manziel has a lot of maturing to do yet. With that attitude what NFL team is going to take a flyer on him ?
South Pender
Legend

Manziel reportedly had a mediocre game last night in his first in the new Spring League. He has one more game to show his stuff.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ague-game/

Mike Florio, in the following from Pro Football Talk, suggests that Manziel's last game in the Spring League will need to go better, and, after that, his path back to the NFL will likely have to go through Hamilton and the CFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... o-the-nfl/
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Don't know how you can have a good game in that situation. Hastily tossed together teams playing two games!

It's a testament to idiocy for Manziel and his agent to think that he'd look good in that situation.

Tell me what QB could look good in that situation? None.

His view that he can all of a sudden turn in the CFL and be ready to start is equally bogus. Reminds me of Casey Printers wanting to be the next Warren Moon the full while ignoring that Moon played in Canada 6 years and was part of a Grey Cup winning team for 5! Also he progressively improved his passing performance in each year.

He learned early on what it took to be a pro in the CFL and I don't recall him suggesting that it was a mere ticket to the first exit to the NFL.

When he did go, he had a HC favourable to him.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:37 pm
Don't know how you can have a good game in that situation. Hastily tossed together teams playing two games!

It's a testament to idiocy for Manziel and his agent to think that he'd look good in that situation.

Tell me what QB could look good in that situation? None.

His view that he can all of a sudden turn in the CFL and be ready to start is equally bogus. Reminds me of Casey Printers wanting to be the next Warren Moon the full while ignoring that Moon played in Canada 6 years and was part of a Grey Cup winning team for 5! Also he progressively improved his passing performance in each year.

He learned early on what it took to be a pro in the CFL and I don't recall him suggesting that it was a mere ticket to the first exit to the NFL.

When he did go, he had a HC favourable to him.
I agree that nobody should've expect a Brady or Manning type performance given the situation. It was like an exhibition game between expansion teams after one week of training camp.

I do however think it was not idiocy to participate. Unless he waddled out there and totally fell flat on his face I doubt how he played in his 2 halfs of reps over 2 games will make a difference. I think NFL scouts will be far more interested in how Manziel conducts himself through the practice sessions, what he shows in terms of work ethic, working with the coaches etc. Nobody in the NFL will be looking for indications they can sign him with thoughts he could come out of camp as their next starter. However if he displays a professional attitude and willingness to be coached through the whole thing it could very well lead to somebody wanting to sign him for further evaluation through the full training camp process. All he's after is another chance. As for the CFL there was really no reason for him to sign in Hamilton back in January. Might as well take a shot at this to see if it opens up any NFL doors. If not the same sort of CFL offer will still be on the table after this "Spring League season" ends and before CFL TCs open.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Does Hamilton still want him as Manziel's standby, fall-back-position opportunity? :dizzy:

Does anyone think Manziel has ended his substance abuse problems?

Does anyone think his work habits, not leaning in to the playbook approach, has changed?

His improv talents, especially in college, were impressive. But it seems to this fan, that more is needed of a player, a quarterback who sets the tone for a team.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
South Pender
Legend

This on Johnny Football after his second (and last) Spring League game, from Mike Florio at Pro Football Talk:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... tinations/

Evidently, he played much better in his second game:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ant-to-do/

and the inference seems to be that he is serious about getting back into football.

Presumably Hamilton is still interested if Manziel is not picked up by any NFL team for a shot--as a backup--at at a TC. According to Florio, the real obstacle from Manziel's camp is the two-year commitment required by the Ticats. According to the second piece above, Manziel has stated that he'd play in the CFL if no NFL offer surfaces.

In my mind, there are some real questions about whether Manziel would succeed in the CFL--from his skill and style as a QB to his off-field behavior--but it would be a nice redemption story if he could get his head right and succeed.
David
Team Captain

Hamilton as a destination has never made much sense to me. They already have an excellent signal-caller in Jeremiah Masoli. IMO, he's going to take that 'next step' this year to the top echelon provided they can improve their receivers (not sold on Adams as their back-up though).

Montreal as a destination always seemed more likely. They need a potential #1 QB and some star power to get more fans to McGill. It would be better for Manziel too as he would have a legit chance to start. Not sure what the Als would have to give Hamilton though to get him.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar