Johnny Manziel Offered 2 Year Contract

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I don't think there was anything to be gained by Manziel letting his agent go public with the negotiations and AFAIK there has been quite a bit of negative reaction from fans.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:25 pm
Tired of this soap opera already. Will he or won't he ?
CardiacKid wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:50 am
While interesting for a brief moment, I have grown weary of the buzz surrounding Manziel potentially coming to the CFL.
Fun-loving Johnny grows tiresome fast.

https://www.tsn.ca/manziel-gives-ticats ... m-1.962449

He, through his agent, Erik Burkhardt, gave the TiCats until January 31 to work out a contract.
If an agreement can't be reached, Burkhardt added "we will turn our focus to several other professional options readily available to us."
In the world of football? Ummm, no.
But he insinuated he wanted to make Manziel one of the CFL's highest-paid players.
He wants money equivalent to that of a starter. That would be desperation by a CFL team.

His agent challenges the negotiation list system, calling it "an archaic and restrictive rule."

Sure, tell the CFL how to run its business.

My mind is still a little bit open to him signing up here. But, if he signs, and misbehaves as he has done in the past, this fan will hope to see him leave the league.

There is no guarantee he signs with a CFL team. These comments from his agent indicate they think there is a lot of interest by teams in signing him. Nope. Maybe Montreal. Maybe. Hamilton? I am wondering about the level of Hamilton's interest. Bargaining chip? Trade bait? I think the TiCats are happy with Masoli.

Too much arrogance too soon. He has done nothing up here. He is a huge, dangerous gamble for a CFL team.

If he blows it, this fan will not miss him. Have they helped their cause with these statements? I don't think so. He is not all that hot a football commodity IMO. It seems like Johnny and his agent are acting like the meltdown with the Browns did not happen.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Does a team want to put the future of its franchise in the hands of a wayward person?

Lest we forget, here are a few headlines from Johnny's recent past ...

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp& ... Si1p2OjTik

2018-01-09_1448.png
https://www.google.ca/search?ei=WUZVWvX ... cfTHAtEaMY

2018-01-09_1449.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

He has done nothing up here
He's done nothing down there (NFL) but a petulant off field distraction.
BC 1988
Legend

According to this SI article,
https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/15/john ... and-browns
wriiten just after he was released by the Browns,
He has been dropped by his agent, Erik Burkhardt, and his marketing team.
Interesting that he's back with them now, as they proceed to disrespect the CFL bargaining process.
Good luck MTL (if he ends up there).
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

maybe he will end up in XFL
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

Doubt Manziel plays in the CFL, at least on the contract he is looking for. Safe to say that in the end his presence in the CFL would only end badly IMO . Desperate = MTL, but the potential fallout from signing Manuel could finish the fanbase interest, better too build from a better foundation.
Entertainment value = an all time low
CardiacKid
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 am
I can understand the lure of Manziel from a ticket-selling perspective, but paying Manziel to come in and be a starter in year 1 would be an incredibly stupid risk.
How many first-year qbs can come in and be successful s a starter out of the gate? Not Moon, not Flutie, not Garcia, not Dickenson...
Factor in Manziel's lack of playing time over the past two years, attitude of entitlement, and other personal characteristics, and this is just a disaster waiting to happen.
If I were Hamilton, I would make a statement to the team and its fans and just release him from their list outright. If I were Montreal, I would be very wary.
Under Popp's reign, Montreal seemed comfortable with bringing players into the fold whose basis for wearing the Lark appeared more rooted in their ability to create headlines instead of contributing on the field.

I don't remember if Micheal Sam even played a down and Chad Johnson was a massive waste of a roster place, much less deserving a starter's spot.

It all just seems that chasing these players with baggage and notoriety seems like a potential sink-hole of distractions. Montreal needs to concentrate on other things besides hiring a professional Minder or setting up an adult day-care.

They already have disappeared a long way down a different bunch of rabbit holes.
squishy35
Legend

http://3downnation.com/2018/01/25/johnn ... d-the-xfl/

Manziel tweets Vince McMahon after the press conference today and McMahon promptly suggests that people with criminal pasts aren't welcome....

I hope this clown never sets foot on a CFL Field.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender
Legend

Is Johnny Football bipolar?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2759 ... =editorial

There's a little self-analysis in this piece, which is a good sign. I'd like to see him straighten out his life.
Huge Talent
Starter

Hate to admit it, but if he starts, I'll be marking my calendar for that game. The more of a train wreck and/or villain he becomes, the better. Of course if he can't earn a starting job, then it's all moot.
South Pender
Legend

This would seem to suggest that Johnny Football won't be coming to the CFL this season:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2759 ... =editorial

...unless it doesn't.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

The Spring League is purrfect for Johnny Football. He only has to stay on the wagon for 2 weeks.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

So Manziel thought he deserved Mike Reilly money in the CFL, but now he is going to PAY $700 to register for a league where he will only earn free housing and meals?