Riders acquire Zach Collaros from Ticats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:24 am
I wish Edmonton would bring Glenn in as backup. They are the only CFL team he has not played for.
Not totally true. It's the only team he hasn't been property of if one wants to exclude the Ottawa Renegades who joined the CFL after Glenn.. He's played for 6 and hasn't even as much as practiced for 1/3 of the CFL. He was REDBLACKS property for 5 months of the offseason between being chosen in the expansion draft and traded to BC. He was Argo property only for a few hours having been dealt to them and later flipped all in the same day.

IMO if he were to sign with Edmonto just for the sake of saying he was property of the current 9 teams he will be mocking his own career. I hope he has more pride than that.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:43 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
I wish Edmonton would bring Glenn in as backup. They are the only CFL team he has not played for.
Not totally true. It's the only team he hasn't been property of if one wants to exclude the Ottawa Renegades who joined the CFL after Glenn.. He's played for 6 and hasn't even as much as practiced for 1/3 of the CFL. He was REDBLACKS property for 5 months of the offseason between being chosen in the expansion draft and traded to BC. He was Argo property only for a few hours having been dealt to them and later flipped all in the same day.

IMO if he were to sign with Edmonto just for the sake of saying he was property of the current 9 teams he will be mocking his own career. I hope he has more pride than that.
"Not totally true," says Hambone.

I looked it up on Wikipedia before I wrote the post. Change "played for" to " been the football property of" and the intent of my post remains the same. This CFL fan has great respect for Kevin Glenn and would like to see him be part of all current CFL teams.

If Edmonton needs a QB, due to injury, et cetera, he would be a possible pickup. And it is not true that he would be "mocking his own career." It would be a job, for good pay. He has plenty of pride. But most guys also need paydays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Glenn

Just IMO ...

2018-01-04_1323.png
2018-01-04_1324.png
2018-01-04_1324_001.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:26 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
In a story before the 2017 season began, Glenn joked that he would sign a 1 day contract with Edmonton before he retired.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/03/29/kevin-gle ... lifestyle/
I would like to see it.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:40 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:48 am
At one time, some people thought he was the next Doug Flutie. Not this fan, but he has talent.

It seems that under Kent Austin all of his confidence just drained away. I expect he will make a good recovery under Chris Jones. Jones, like Don Matthews, has a way of building confidence in players.
I am thinking confidence is part of the picture, along with how his now former Ti-Cat colleagues stopped tuning into him.

Collaros is a mirror image of Kent Austin in many ways, super competitive and unable manage his tendency to beak off and point fingers. Just like Austin driving away Steinhauer and Condell and eventually the players with his all too frequent outbursts, Collaros lost the faith of the other players who tuned him out and didn’t really rally around him when he was struggling.

He will get a fresh start and maybe a re-alignment of his attitude but his contract is the biggest hurdle right now. And I don’t know if the Riders can afford to keep Bridge, Adams Jr. and now Collaros. Something has to give.
Austin certainly has issues, and this despite considerable success as a coach.

I did not know Collaros had issues with his teammates. Hopefully, working with Chris Jones, they can turn Zach's career around.

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:37 pm

If Edmonton needs a QB, due to injury, et cetera, he would be a possible pickup. And it is not true that he would be "mocking his own career." It would be a job, for good pay. He has plenty of pride. But most guys also need paydays.
I have no issues with him signing to play but don't really see Edmonton going down that road unless Reilly suffers a significant injury. If they want a geezer to back up Reilly Maas would more likely want Ricky Ray. Given the salary Reilly commands signing vets like them will be hard to justify in terms of SMS unless they are willing to work for minimum + incentives which won't be worth the paper they are written on unless the workhorse Reilly actually does gets hurt.

Many though have been trying to make a case that he should sign a 1 day contract just to say he was property of the 9th team. That's what I have an issue with and may have misinterpreted your post as indicating. I would hope the Esks wouldn't lower themselves to be a pawn in that game. Would Glenn rather retire as a Rider, the team that brought him into the CFL and whom he played for on 3 different occasions? Or would he rather retire as an Eskimo a team he never played for?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:53 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:37 pm

I have no issues with him signing to play but don't really see Edmonton going down that road unless Reilly suffers a significant injury. If they want a geezer to back up Reilly Maas would more likely want Ricky Ray. Given the salary Reilly commands signing vets like them will be hard to justify in terms of SMS unless they are willing to work for minimum + incentives which won't be worth the paper they are written on unless the workhorse Reilly actually does gets hurt.

Many though have been trying to make a case that he should sign a 1 day contract just to say he was property of the 9th team. That's what I have an issue with and may have misinterpreted your post as indicating. I would hope the Esks wouldn't lower themselves to be a pawn in that game. Would Glenn rather retire as a Rider, the team that brought him into the CFL and whom he played for on 3 different occasions? Or would he rather retire as an Eskimo a team he never played for?
WestCoastJoe wrote:
I wish Edmonton would bring Glenn in as backup.
In my first post on the matter I mentioned Glenn as possible backup with the Eskimos.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/03/29/kevin-gle ... lifestyle/
Perhaps that’s why Glenn has suggested he’ll sign a one-day contract with the Eskimos before he retires.

“I have to. I have to,” he says, a smile spreading across his face. “If Ed (Hervey) is still the GM, I know he would (offer Glenn a deal). But if he didn’t, I would start a petition. I’m sure I could get every fan in the CFL to sign it because it has never been done to have one guy who has been affiliated — not necessarily played or suited up but affiliated — with every team.
And this CFL fan would have no problem with that either.

Just IMO ...

maxlion
Legend

Hambone wrote:

I agree. Signing a one-day deal just to say you were the property of all 9 teams takes all the meaning out of it. Basically, it's cheating.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I never liked when players in any league sign with a team just so they could retire as a member of that team
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sign and retire, all in a day. They do it. They have their reasons.

In Glenn's situation, Ottawa and Toronto did acquire his rights. In some cases, he was acquired more than once by teams. LOL

Obviously it offends some fans. This fan would not be offended by it. If there was a poll (or vote) I would say let them do it. I wonder if Ambrosie would weigh in on it, if it became known that Edmonton and Glenn were considering it. It is rather remarkable that a player would be part of so many teams, as is. The nomadic Glenn: Have Football. Will Travel.

We may get to see soon enough.

And then, as I first posted, there is the playing for real possibility. Mike Reilly puts his body on the line every game. James Franklin is gone. Edmonton shows Eli Jenkins and Danny O'Brien on their roster as backup QBs. Glenn has his skills, experience and ability to step in as a quick fix.

Whatever ...

CardiacKid
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:44 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:48 am
At one time, some people thought he was the next Doug Flutie. Not this fan, but he has talent.

It seems that under Kent Austin all of his confidence just drained away. I expect he will make a good recovery under Chris Jones. Jones, like Don Matthews, has a way of building confidence in players.
I am thinking confidence is part of the picture, along with how his now former Ti-Cat colleagues stopped tuning into him.

Collaros is a mirror image of Kent Austin in many ways, super competitive and unable manage his tendency to beak off and point fingers. Just like Austin driving away Steinhauer and Condell and eventually the players with his all too frequent outbursts, Collaros lost the faith of the other players who tuned him out and didn’t really rally around him when he was struggling.

He will get a fresh start and maybe a re-alignment of his attitude but his contract is the biggest hurdle right now. And I don’t know if the Riders can afford to keep Bridge, Adams Jr. and now Collaros. Something has to give.

I did not know Collaros had issues with his teammates. Hopefully, working with Chris Jones, they can turn Zach's career around.
I was chatting with a TSN Radio colour man who provided that particular insight into Collaros’ relations with his teammates. His description made me think of “death by a 1000 cuts”, that Collaros was too quick to blame and not necessarily ready to accept fault and did it simply too often.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:18 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:44 pm
CardiacKid wrote:

I was chatting with a TSN Radio colour man who provided that particular insight into Collaros’ relations with his teammates. His description made me think of “death by a 1000 cuts”, that Collaros was too quick to blame and not necessarily ready to accept fault and did it simply too often.
Thanks, CK. Good information. This CFL fan hopes Collaros can regain his earlier form.

Not really a fan of Kavis Reed, although I do miss his locker room rants. But for the sake of the league, I hope Montreal puts together a decent season. No guarantee Mike Sherman will be a hit in the CFL.

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:02 pm
Hambone wrote:

I agree. Signing a one-day deal just to say you were the property of all 9 teams takes all the meaning out of it. Basically, it's cheating.
Really guys? I know it might be a bit cheesy but what they hey, if the guys wants to sign with Edmonton for the sake of saying that he was with every team in the league, who is it harming? Technically speaking, it would be true even if he never played a down with some of these teams. It doesn't cheapen his career in the slightest. His career has been about longevity and consistency. Nothing is going to take that away. He has had great moments and he has had his lows but he is and always will be a great football guy. A player who did whatever he could to help his team and was always ready to step up to the plate when asked.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

If the esks sign kg, I don't think it will be just to retire him. I think that as it stands now, they may need KG if anything happens to MR. Can MR really stay healthy through 2 seasons in a row...the way he plays?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Roughriders Release Kevin Glenn

Riders won't not have made the playoffs and been 10 and 8 if not for Kevin Glenn. I think that would be disputed by many - but some will say Glenn was crap.

Would MTL be looking at him given the big pay day coming for Durant and the completely awful year he had and the fact that Drew Willy plays so slow it's painful.

Looks like Glenn could have got Jarius Jackson's old job.

http://theprovince.com/sports/football/ ... 05cc7c4979
There had been some speculation that Glenn might remain with the Roughriders by succeeding Jarious Jackson, now of the B.C. Lions, as the quarterbacks coach.

“I think that was probably erased when Kevin told us that he wanted to continue playing,” O’Day said. “You want to respect the player’s aspirations. The other question is, ‘Is that a great fit and is the timing right for that to happen?’

“I won’t speak for Kevin and if he wants to become a quarterbacks coach down the road, but it wasn’t a huge discussion because we understood that Kevin wants to continue playing.”
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy