2018 schedule

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Qman
Champion

David wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:06 pm
I love the 7 pm. Saturday starts but the Lions may have to rethink their priorities for next year if there is a big update on discounted kids' season tickets. The 4 p.m start times seemed to attract more families with young kids.
This doesn't make any sense to me.

* Build off-season marketing initiative around an $85 season ticket for kids. Check.
* Promote the hell out of it online and to ticket base. Check.
* Schedule several afternoon games to compliment the program. Oh wait...

Only one 4:00pm game for the entire year. Somebody dropped the ball or didn't think this through. :roll:

DH :cool:
Definately the SSK game at end of August should have been 4pm ... can't do much about triple headers if other other games are back east
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Qman wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:07 pm
David wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:06 pm
I love the 7 pm. Saturday starts but the Lions may have to rethink their priorities for next year if there is a big update on discounted kids' season tickets. The 4 p.m start times seemed to attract more families with young kids.
This doesn't make any sense to me.

* Build off-season marketing initiative around an $85 season ticket for kids. Check.
* Promote the hell out of it online and to ticket base. Check.
* Schedule several afternoon games to compliment the program. Oh wait...

Only one 4:00pm game for the entire year. Somebody dropped the ball or didn't think this through. :roll:

Definately the SSK game at end of August should have been 4pm ... can't do much about triple headers if other other games are back east
I'm not the best to offer opinion because I have no kids. It seems to me that for anybody with kids in organized sports Saturday and Sunday mornings & afternoon are very busy days, especially in June when school is still in and after Labour Day. After Labour Day in particular minor football is going. Minor hockey is just getting going. I'll defer to those with kids but 4:00 or earlier starts might be attractive for those with kids not involved in anything but could be tough for a family to invest in season tickets if their kids' activities will be clashing. IMO a kid who is active in any form of organized sport is more likely to be interested in going to Lions games and become that coveted future ST holder than a kid who isn't.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Matt Baker
Rookie

Believe it or not, when we do play a 400 home game we hear from the same amount of complainers. "It's too early." "We'd rather be outside during the day in summer." "It cuts into dinner plans."

As we all know, people act like we are in the only city on earth where there is "other things to do." Moral of the story: impossible to please everybody. TSN also has a huge say in it. Being the only team that plays in the Pacific time zone, it naturally makes us the most attractive option for the second half of a doubleheader.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Matt Baker wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:42 pm
Believe it or not, when we do play a 400 home game we hear from the same amount of complainers. "It's too early." "We'd rather be outside during the day in summer." "It cuts into dinner plans."

As we all know, people act like we are in the only city on earth where there is "other things to do." Moral of the story: impossible to please everybody. TSN also has a huge say in it. Being the only team that plays in the Pacific time zone, it naturally makes us the most attractive option for the second half of a doubleheader.
That is the reality Matt. No schedule will please everybody. All you can do is hope for one that pleases the most possible. The 4:00 starts have grown on me but I wouldn't want more than 1 or 2. As a single guy who lives 800km away I'm a microscopic portion of the ST base. As a freelance contractor I also have a lot of flexibility to take what the schedule maker gives and make my schedule fit the football schedule. Whatever is best for the majority and helps the Lions most is quite OK by me.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Dusty
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:30 pm
Matt Baker wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:42 pm

That is the reality Matt. No schedule will please everybody. All you can do is hope for one that pleases the most possible. The 4:00 starts have grown on me but I wouldn't want more than 1 or 2. As a single guy who lives 800km away I'm a microscopic portion of the ST base. As a freelance contractor I also have a lot of flexibility to take what the schedule maker gives and make my schedule fit the football schedule. Whatever is best for the majority and helps the Lions most is quite OK by me.
You raise a good point about complaints Matt and yes, Hambone, you cannot please everyone. For instance, I enjoy a pre-game dinner on Robson street before 700 starts, and a lunch before 100 starts as well.... The 400 start is harder to decide.... pre-game lunch or post-game dinner.. . Somehow I cannot imagine TSN or the CFL making their scheduling decision based on my meal choice dilemna...
Matt Baker
Rookie

At any rate, its better than it used to be, My Dad started taking me to games in '91. The first afternoon game I remember was Thanksgiving Day 1995 against Calgary, the same night the Canucks hosted Detroit in the first ever game at GM Place. We went to Courtnall's for a meal in between. So based on this memory, unless I missed one, there used to be stretches of years without home games in the afternoon.
David
Team Captain

I prefer the later start myself, but I thought as a compliment to their initiative to attract kids, that 4:00pm works better than 7:00pm. I agree that most people do not like coming indoors in the summer, but I believe that from the latter part of August on would work fine. In fact, I thought we saw some traction with that start time the past couple of years with lots of kids? I recall the one game this year was against the Riders up against the Symphony of Light. Tons of youngsters.

Roar, You Lions, Roar