Washington 2nd frontrunner for Als Head Coaching Gig

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

I tried to copy part of the article, but it would not let me. According to the Montreal Gazette, the No 1 candidate to get the Montreal Alouettes Head Coaching Gig is Devone Claybrooks. But if they cannot reach an agreement, the article says sources indicate the job will be offered to Mark Washington. So stay tuned.

www.montrealgazette.com

Just click on football and read the article about Brian Chiu likely going to Montreal too. The part about Washington is in there.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Thanks, JohnnyMusso. Washington and Chiu both have long histories in Montreal, so it could be a good fit if they want to be involved in the challenge of rebuilding the franchise. Chiu still lives in the city with his wife and three children but he has spent 10 months a year away from home coaching in Toronto and Ottawa. From the article:
The Als, of course, are seeking a head coach. The leading candidate, according to sources, remains DeVone Claybrooks. The Calgary Stampeders defensive coordinator will be interviewed in Montreal this weekend by general manager Kavis Reed. If Claybrooks and the Als can’t agree to terms or reach some kind of impasse, sources indicate the job will be offered to B.C. Lions defensive coordinator Mark Washington.
Should Claybrooks get the Als’ job, don’t be surprised if he hires Chiu and Moore as two of his assistants. Reed likes Claybrooks because he believes he can relate to players. That holds true of Chiu and Moore as well. And it shouldn’t be forgotten Moore coached Ernest Jackson in 2016, when he was the division’s most outstanding player nominee. Jackson signed with Montreal as a free agent in 2017, but proved to be a disappointment.
Chiu was a seven-time CFL all-star, won three Grey Cups and was named the league’s most outstanding offensive lineman in 2002. After retiring, he joined the Concordia Stingers as the assistant offensive coordinator and offensive-line coach. He spent one season coaching the Argos’ OL and had been with Ottawa for three seasons.

“The hardest part has been missing the opportunity to see my kids grow, more than anything,” he said. “It’s having a wife who has to balance being a single mom with three kids for six months. We get back to work at the end of February so, really, it’s a 10-month job. It’s not fair. It’s not what she signed up for.
“As a former player, she sacrificed a lot during that time. Now I’m asking her to do the same thing with three kids. It’s about time I fulfill my end of it, being the dad and being present to help her.”
Former CFL all-star centre Bryan Chiu could be back on Alouettes' sideline

It's clear that Chiu won't be coming to B.C. unless he runs out of CFL coaching options. In that case, he might turn his sights to U Sports to stay closer to home.
CardiacKid
Legend

So Jamie Elizondo is likely still in play. He had been mentioned as a potential candidate for HC in Montreal...

To come to BC, it would need to involve a promotion of some sort such as becoming Assistant HC along with being OC. I like the up-tempo, ball-control game he calls. That sort of game planning might be a good fit for Jonathon J to help his maturation but also his confidence.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I think it would be fun to have Hector Elizondo on the sidelines
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
CardiacKid
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:36 pm
I think it would be fun to have Hector Elizondo on the sidelines
He does have coaching on his resume. He played one in “Necessary Roughness”..
leo4life
All Star

So who is picking the 2018 coaching staff? Best not be Wally again
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

leo4life wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:54 pm
Well, Wally is the HC so Wally's choices is what we will get. :bang:
leo4life
All Star

Let me guess....Dorazio Washington (If not hired by Als) Jones & maybe bring ol Chuck Mcmann to straighten out that ST mess🤡
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:00 pm
leo4life wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:54 pm
Well, Wally is the HC so Wally's choices is what we will get. :bang:
I don’t expect Dorazio and Simmons to be back. Hervey won’t allow it. As Wally explained, they’ll go into a room and close the door and come out as one but Hervey has the final say.
maxlion
Legend

I would not hire Claybrooks as head coach in Montreal. In my opinion, his "one of the boys" style works well in Calgary where he has 2 calculating and demanding authorities in Dickenson and Hufnagel above him. As HC, his style might work well in the short term but, for the longer term, you need someone who is going to lay down clear expectations from day 1.

A team needs balance. This is where Chapdelaine failed. He should have gotten rid of Thorpe as a condition of his employment. Having two player-unfriendly and unapproachable coaches in charge was a recipe for failure, especially given that the third coach Calvillo was invisible and ineffective.

I think Kavis Reed is smarter than most people give him credit for, but hiring Claybrooks as HC would make me re-think that assessment. I'm not convinced at all that Washington would be a good choice either.
maxlion
Legend

Some comments made by Claybrooks recently to the Montreal Gazette should be a big red flag for the Montreal braintrust:

"You have to be able to relate to your players. I still have grass on my cleats that haven’t dried....Players only listen to you for two reasons — if you can make them better and make them money. If they’re better players, they’re going to make more money.”

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/aloue ... head-coach

To me, these comments reveal a very superficial understanding of motivation and accountability. I can't imagine coaches like Trestman, Hufnagel, or great coaches from other sports like Scotty Bowman distilling their wisdom down to this. Claybrooks has been an excellent DC in the right situation. Head coach? Good luck with that.
David
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:52 am
"You have to be able to relate to your players. I still have grass on my cleats that haven’t dried....Players only listen to you for two reasons — if you can make them better and make them money. If they’re better players, they’re going to make more money.”

To me, these comments reveal a very superficial understanding of motivation and accountability. I can't imagine coaches like Trestman, Hufnagel, or great coaches from other sports like Scotty Bowman distilling their wisdom down to this. Claybrooks has been an excellent DC in the right situation. Head coach? Good luck with that.
Not sure you can take one sound bite and predict how successful a guy is going to be (or not be).

I happen to think he's right. Today's athletes are a completely different breed. I can't speak for hockey but a lot of football players coming out of college have a different value system. No guarantee old school "Scotty Bowman-type" coaches can cut it anymore. Even Wally said this.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
The_Pauser
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:49 pm
So Jamie Elizondo is likely still in play. He had been mentioned as a potential candidate for HC in Montreal...

To come to BC, it would need to involve a promotion of some sort such as becoming Assistant HC along with being OC. I like the up-tempo, ball-control game he calls. That sort of game planning might be a good fit for Jonathon J to help his maturation but also his confidence.
And that's very much a possibility. With Wally being clear that this is his final season it may be a good time to hire an Assistant HC if it's a guy you think you'll want to transition into being your HC next year.
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:00 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:49 pm

And that's very much a possibility. With Wally being clear that this is his final season it may be a good time to hire an Assistant HC if it's a guy you think you'll want to transition into being your HC next year.
I would think if they do replace any of their coordinators candidates clearly displaying the sorts of characteristics one would look for in a HC will rise to the top. And I'm not talking about long time assistants in the mould of Cortez and Stubler when they finally got an HC job. I'm thinking guys in their 40s, maybe even late 30s who have paid some dues and have displayed some moxy and innovation along the way and can relate to today's athlete. Guys who have climbed the ladder fairly quickly and produced good results every step of the way. Ironically guys like Khari and MW fit the bill at least from an age standpoint and career path. Results is a different story. I think they should be looking at guys at a similar point in their career in terms of age and experience.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:01 pm
I tried to copy part of the article, but it would not let me. According to the Montreal Gazette, the No 1 candidate to get the Montreal Alouettes Head Coaching Gig is Devone Claybrooks. But if they cannot reach an agreement, the article says sources indicate the job will be offered to Mark Washington. So stay tuned.

www.montrealgazette.com

Just click on football and read the article about Brian Chiu likely going to Montreal too. The part about Washington is in there.
Oh please. Please please please.