Washington 2nd frontrunner for Als Head Coaching Gig

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:58 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:48 am
According to Herb Z:

Another name to consider in #Als' HC search: Gary Crowton. He's in Montreal today being interviewed. He was Winnipeg's OC in 2012-13 and has extensive NCAA experience as an OC. Held same job with Chicago Bears and was BYU HC from 2001-04.
This points to Condell as HC, Crowton as OC. Probably a done deal.
How do you come up with that?
Roar you Lions roar!
JohnnyMusso
Champion

If that is the case why is Washington in Montreal getting ready to do a 2nd interview. Clearly Reed has not made up his mind. Down to a short list now though.
maxlion
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:31 pm
maxlion wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:58 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:48 am
According to Herb Z:

Another name to consider in #Als' HC search: Gary Crowton. He's in Montreal today being interviewed. He was Winnipeg's OC in 2012-13 and has extensive NCAA experience as an OC. Held same job with Chicago Bears and was BYU HC from 2001-04.
How do you come up with that?
Just a hunch. Crowton has no credentials to be considered seriously for HC role, but OC is different story. Look at Condell and Crowton's bios and it's certain they've crossed paths a few times. Condell is also a stronger candidate than Washington, in my opinion.

I hope I'm wrong, would rather have Condell as OC here.
CardiacKid
Legend

Dave Naylor is reporting Washington is no longer being considered for the HC vacancy in Montreal.

Apparently Washington removed himself from the process.
leo4life
All Star

Washington take over for Bouno in 2019? Rather see Claybrooks come west
CardiacKid
Legend

leo4life wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:21 am
I don't think Ed Hervey would be willing to give one candidate the inside track to replacing Wally this early in his tenure. He might like Washington as an HC but I think he will go through some form of "due process" to accumulate more candidates. I also don't think he would suggest to Washington he remove himself from one immediate opportunity to wait on a potential position.

No, I expect Washington took a good long look at Montreal and thought it best to wait on something with a little more lustre.
maxlion
Legend

http://3downnation.com/2017/12/14/aloue ... ead-coach/

Surprising news--Condell told he won't be the next HC in Montreal. I thought maybe Montreal might be headed in a better direction with Condell. This definitely calls that into question. Personally, I cut Kavis some slack for last year given the situation he inherited but this year is all on him.
David
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:43 am
I don't think Ed Hervey would be willing to give one candidate the inside track to replacing Wally this early in his tenure. He might like Washington as an HC but I think he will go through some form of "due process" to accumulate more candidates. I also don't think he would suggest to Washington he remove himself from one immediate opportunity to wait on a potential position.
This was just posted to the Football Ops thread, but I will post here too. Ed was on Sportsnet 650 yesterday. Ed was clear. He does not believe in making promises for coaching positions. Just do the job you are hired to do and let the evaluation take its course. No coach in waiting to take away from Wally's final season.

Lots of interesting nuggets here. I have summarized in the football ops thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29046&start=360

http://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets- ... introvert/

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:34 am
CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:43 am
This was just posted to the Football Ops thread, but I will post here too. Ed was on Sportsnet 650 yesterday. Ed was clear. He does not believe in making promises for coaching positions. Just do the job you are hired to do and let the evaluation take its course. No coach in waiting to take away from Wally's final season.

Lots of interesting nuggets here. I have summarized in the football ops thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29046&start=360

http://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets- ... introvert/

DH :cool:
Agreed. It would be foolish of Ed to make any sort of commitments even if they are just soft commitments. Go about the business of dealing with the 2018 staff by trying to attract the best candidates possible for the existing vacancies. If in that process he finds somebody he thinks can be a strong candidate to take the top job in 2019 then great. Even then he should cross that bridge after the season is over. Things can change bigtime in one year. No telling who might be on the market then who aren't available today.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:21 am
Hope not ! Hervey are you listiening ?
JohnnyMusso
Champion

According to Herb Z:

So, not only has Mark Washington withdrawn his name, according to TSN’s David Naylor, I heard Tommy Condell was told he won’t be #AlsMTL next head coach. This is messed up.

I agree. Who is Kavis going to hire now? Seems no one wants the job now. Top 3 candidates now are out. Who is left?
JohnnyMusso
Champion

And then there was one!

Didier Orméjuste‏

@DidierRDS
5h5 hours ago
I'm told Lions receiver coach, Marcel Bellefeuille is still a serious candidate for the #Alouettes head coaching position. #CFL
JohnnyMusso
Champion

My guess is he will probably get the job. Who else can they hire now? Kavis already has enough egg on his face with 2 candidates withdrawing and one declining and another good one being turned down.

Unless it is a real dark horse that emerges.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bellefeuille is bilingual which comes in very handy in a Francophone market.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

This comment from the Montreal Als forum. I would have to agree with him:

Okay now, let us peer into the mind of "WhatsayU?" Kavis Reed for a moment.

Good ole Kavis fired Chapdelaine, because Chappy wasn't good enough and couldn't get the job done. Reed creates his "MATRIX" to find a head coach to replace Chapdelaine. It is logical to assume that he would want to hire someone who is better than Chapdelaine, and that this parameter would be incorporated into his matrix.

So Reed does an extensive head coach search. Conducts interviews with a good number of candidates. Interviews some of those candidates a second time.

After all of that, the best he could come up with is Marcel Bellefeuille?! Bellefeuille is a better HC candidate than Condell, Claybrooks and others. Really?!

Now let's go back to the original reason this head coach search was done. Reed wanted someone better than Chapdelaine.

Can someone please explain how Bellefeuille is better than Chapdelaine?