Washington 2nd frontrunner for Als Head Coaching Gig

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:40 pm
I’m inclined to think the Als would lean towards hiring a HC with an OC pedigree like Condell instead of a DC. Mostly because they have struggled mightily at getting stability at the QB position as well as being pretty underwhelming offensive performers since Trestman left.
For that reason, I thought Jacques Chapdelaine would thrive in Montreal. Instead the Als' offence seemed to backslide when he took over as head coach.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

My bet is that Condell gets the job over Washington and Mark is back here as DC. Unless a dark horse candidate emerges.
David
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:01 pm
My bet is that Condell gets the job over Washington and Mark is back here as DC. Unless a dark horse candidate emerges.
I agree with this. While I believe an African-American GM may lean toward an eminently qualified African-American to become their head coach (and I believe Mark Washington is indeed a strong head coaching candidate, irrespective of the colour of his skin), I believe the perceived need to have a head man with an offensive mind supersedes this. Montreal's offense was beyond anemic last season, and they also need to sell tickets to a declining fan base.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
maxlion
Legend

Apparently both Washington and Condell are being given second interviews for the Montreal HC job. Can't fault Kavis Reed for not doing his due diligence. I think the best scenario for us would be for Montreal to take Washington and us to take Condell as OC.
leo4life
All Star

Condell is known for running innovative offenses which may not mesh with Bounos consevstive approach
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Given the Al's offensive woes, it really wouldn't make sense for them to hire a Defensive Coach as head coach. They need a HC that understands the Offensive side of the game and that isn't Washington.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Dusty
Champion

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:50 pm
Given the Al's offensive woes, it really wouldn't make sense for them to hire a Defensive Coach as head coach. They need a HC that understands the Offensive side of the game and that isn't Washington.
I think that this applies to BC as well.... I think it is considerably more difficult for a DC to take on the HC role than someone who has been calling or designing offences. The DC as HC would end up being a "game planning" manager and would heavily rely on their OC for everything.... Given the choice between an OC or a DC, I would expect that a GM would lean towards a OC, especially if they had a successful history as an OC....
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:02 pm
I think that this applies to BC as well.... I think it is considerably more difficult for a DC to take on the HC role than someone who has been calling or designing offences. The DC as HC would end up being a "game planning" manager and would heavily rely on their OC for everything.... Given the choice between an OC or a DC, I would expect that a GM would lean towards a OC, especially if they had a successful history as an OC....
This got me wondering so I broke down the backgrounds of the eight current head coaches in the league and their CFL career regular-season records. If you go by winning percentages and not total wins, the coaches with an offensive background appear to have a slight advantage, but Wally's record is great no matter how you look at it.

OFFENCE
Dave Dickenson, Calgary 28-6-2 .806
Marc Trestman, Toronto 68-40-0 .630
Jason Maas, Edmonton 22-14-0 .611
June Jones, Hamilton 6-4-0 .600

DEFENCE
Wally Buono, B.C. 273-156-3 .635
Chris Jones, Saskatchewan 41-31-0 .569
Mike O'Shea, Winnipeg 35-37-0 .486
Rick Campbell, Ottawa 30-40-2 .431
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If you are hiring a rookie HC, then you probably don't want him to also be a OC/play caller. Washington as HC with Condell as OC would be the Als best scenario, imo.
The_Pauser
Legend

Condell would be great as OC here, and perhaps give him the assistant HC job as well so it's known that he'll be the one taking over for Buono next year, so we can begin grooming him for that role? His offenses have been quite good.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 am
Washington as HC with Condell as OC would be the Als best scenario, imo.
Don't you mean the Lions' best scenario? :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnnyMusso
Champion

According to Herb Z:

Another name to consider in #Als' HC search: Gary Crowton. He's in Montreal today being interviewed. He was Winnipeg's OC in 2012-13 and has extensive NCAA experience as an OC. Held same job with Chicago Bears and was BYU HC from 2001-04.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The third coaching candidate for the Alouettes is rumoured to be either Oscar Giles or Kerwin Bell
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:29 am
DanoT wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 am
Washington as HC with Condell as OC would be the Als best scenario, imo.
Don't you mean the Lions' best scenario? :wink:

That too :good: :good:
maxlion
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:48 am
According to Herb Z:

Another name to consider in #Als' HC search: Gary Crowton. He's in Montreal today being interviewed. He was Winnipeg's OC in 2012-13 and has extensive NCAA experience as an OC. Held same job with Chicago Bears and was BYU HC from 2001-04.
This points to Condell as HC, Crowton as OC. Probably a done deal.