Grey Cup Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Personal Transformation: Posey grateful for Trestman’s guidance

Don Landry

DeVier Posey has gone through a transformation in 2017. The Toronto Argonauts’ receiver has improved his game and improved his outlook and he believes he owes much of his upturn in fortune and his improved outlook to his head coach, Marc Trestman.

“I’ll be repeating things that Coach Trestman has told me to my children,” said an appreciative Posey, standing on the sidelines at a windy TD Place, moments after the Argos had finished practicing for this weekend’s 105th Grey Cup presented by Shaw.

The coach has gotten to the second year Argo, for the better. “He’s meant a lot to me,” Posey said.

In his rookie campaign of 2016, Posey showed flashes of brilliance as he battled for playing time behind a trio of stud receivers that the Argos had in their employ; Vidal Hazelton, Kevin Elliott and Tori Gurley. Yes, he had only thirteen catches and 161 yards in four games played but his talent was easily discernible even within that small sample size.

In 2017, with the three receivers ahead of him now gone, it was expected that Posey would step up and into a more prominent role with the Argos, which he has done but not without some growing pains and some guidance from Trestman, coupled with Posey’s own willingness to change.

A little more selflessness was in order.

“In my career, I’ve been searching for consistency,” Posey said quietly, happy to get to the story of how the CFL’s Coach of the Year helped him find it.

The 27-year-old Ohio State grad believes he can pinpoint the moment when things started to change for him, when things started to become a little more clear. It’s the moment when Trestman broke through, shortly after a game against the Calgary Stampeders, the same team the Argos will face this Sunday.

Posey had taken a bad penalty against the Stamps during that game, back on August 26th, his first game in the line-up after being sidelined for weeks due to injury.

“We were playing against Calgary and I got a fifteen yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct,” said Posey. “To him (Trestman), it meant a lot more than just fifteen yards.”

“We were driving and I put our team in a bad position.”

The two, Posey said, texted back and forth about the incident and while Posey was keeping the contents of the communication private, he made it clear that Trestman came at him with a clear but also positive message, and that the way the coach had treated his players all season helped ensure that Posey would hear it. And accept it.

“Coach Trestman has coached with love this whole year,” said Posey, hinting at why the coach’s texts after that game against Calgary were so welcome. “Coach Trestman is a guy who believes in the universe. He believes in Karma, God, whatever you wanna call it.”

The coach’s beliefs and his way of communicating resonated with Posey, who had a choice to make. Embrace some change, or continue on the same familiar path.

“I remember that being a turning point in the season, attitude-wise for me as far as just shuttin’ up and playing and coming to work everyday and just showing that I’m not gonna demand anything,” Posey said. “I’m just gonna show you my effort. That kind of turned a switch on with me.”

Posey’s season has tracked in a positive fashion since the trading of texts with the coach. Finishing the year with 52 catches and 744 yards in twelve games, he made seven trips to the end zone, including a spectacular, crucial, diving touchdown catch against Hamilton on September 30th.

As we talked about that touchdown, one that helped garner Posey a Shaw Top Perfomer nod, teammate S.J. Green came over.

“I watched him run that ball down,” said Green, getting more and more excited as he described the catch. “Ricky throws the ball up kinda high so D-Po can run up under it.”

“I just saw a burst from D-Po I hadn’t seen all season. I was like ‘man, I don’t know if he gonna make it!’ That’s my favourite moment for him this whole season.”

When Trestman took to the stage along with Calgary Head Coach Dave Dickenson at the Grey Cup Head Coaches Conference earlier this week he was asked about the Argos’ receiving corps and specifically about Posey. He talked in glowing terms, obviously happy that Posey had heeded the message.

“I really love where Posey’s at right now,” Trestman said. “He’s gone through, I think, a personal transformation of how he approaches the game. He’s become a selfless player.”

“I think he’s grown up a lot as a person, and that’s what I’m most proud of, of him. And he’s been able to make plays when we’ve needed to make plays throughout the second – or the last third of the season, and that’s exciting as well. So the entire development as a person and as a player has been impressive and a joy to watch.”

When told of Trestman’s remarks, Posey nodded his head slowly, appreciatively. What exactly did the coach mean?

“He believes that If you do good, and you work hard, that it’ll come back to you,” said Posey. “I think that’s what he’s kinda referring to.”

“I just want to make sure that people know me by hard work. People know me by being a good person. People know me by positivity and just loving life. That’s what I’ve been trying to do this year.”

Last week, in the Eastern Final, Posey caught a touchdown pass in the late moments of the second quarter and added a splendid, clutch, sideline catch during the Argos’ late touchdown drive to victory against Saskatchewan. He could talk about either of those moments, or the one in Hamilton as personal highlights but instead chose to talk about three catches he didn’t even make when asked what stands out.

“S.J. Green in Saskatchewan, (Anthony) Coombs, in Winnipeg, when he had that tipped ball and had that run after catch, and then third and sixteen against Winnipeg, ol’ Jimmy Ralph from south Alberta goes big for 25 yards and gets us in the red zone for the win,” said Posey.

His own heroics took a back seat and that might be just the kind of thing that Trestman was talking about and the kind of thing that Posey has been striving for since the switch got flipped, in Calgary, last August.

His diving grab in Hamilton might be Green’s favourite Posey catch, but if you ask the man himself, he might opt for another.

He could tell you that, instead, his best reception was the one he made of a text message sent by his head coach.

“We’re all better for being around Coach Trestman,” Posey said.
Wow. One suspected that Trestman has had that effect on quite a few players in the pro ranks. Very new age. A zillion miles from old school.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/25/personal- ... -guidance/
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Media picks ...

2017-11-25_0857.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:56 am

Don Landry

DeVier Posey has gone through a transformation in 2017. The Toronto Argonauts’ receiver has improved his game and improved his outlook and he believes he owes much of his upturn in fortune and his improved outlook to his head coach, Marc Trestman.

“I’ll be repeating things that Coach Trestman has told me to my children,” said an appreciative Posey, standing on the sidelines at a windy TD Place, moments after the Argos had finished practicing for this weekend’s 105th Grey Cup presented by Shaw.

The coach has gotten to the second year Argo, for the better. “He’s meant a lot to me,” Posey said.

In his rookie campaign of 2016, Posey showed flashes of brilliance as he battled for playing time behind a trio of stud receivers that the Argos had in their employ; Vidal Hazelton, Kevin Elliott and Tori Gurley. Yes, he had only thirteen catches and 161 yards in four games played but his talent was easily discernible even within that small sample size.

In 2017, with the three receivers ahead of him now gone, it was expected that Posey would step up and into a more prominent role with the Argos, which he has done but not without some growing pains and some guidance from Trestman, coupled with Posey’s own willingness to change.

“In my career, I’ve been searching for consistency,” Posey said quietly, happy to get to the story of how the CFL’s Coach of the Year helped him find it.

The 27-year-old Ohio State grad believes he can pinpoint the moment when things started to change for him, when things started to become a little more clear. It’s the moment when Trestman broke through, shortly after a game against the Calgary Stampeders, the same team the Argos will face this Sunday.

Posey had taken a bad penalty against the Stamps during that game, back on August 26th, his first game in the line-up after being sidelined for weeks due to injury.

“We were playing against Calgary and I got a fifteen yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct,” said Posey. “To him (Trestman), it meant a lot more than just fifteen yards.”

The two, Posey said, texted back and forth about the incident and while Posey was keeping the contents of the communication private, he made it clear that Trestman came at him with a clear but also positive message, and that the way the coach had treated his players all season helped ensure that Posey would hear it. And accept it.

“Coach Trestman has coached with love this whole year,” said Posey, hinting at why the coach’s texts after that game against Calgary were so welcome. “Coach Trestman is a guy who believes in the universe. He believes in Karma, God, whatever you wanna call it.”

The coach’s beliefs and his way of communicating resonated with Posey, who had a choice to make. Embrace some change, or continue on the same familiar path.

“I remember that being a turning point in the season, attitude-wise for me as far as just shuttin’ up and playing and coming to work everyday and just showing that I’m not gonna demand anything,” Posey said. “I’m just gonna show you my effort. That kind of turned a switch on with me.”

Posey’s season has tracked in a positive fashion since the trading of texts with the coach. Finishing the year with 52 catches and 744 yards in twelve games, he made seven trips to the end zone, including a spectacular, crucial, diving touchdown catch against Hamilton on September 30th.

As we talked about that touchdown, one that helped garner Posey a Shaw Top Perfomer nod, teammate S.J. Green came over.

“I watched him run that ball down,” said Green, getting more and more excited as he described the catch. “Ricky throws the ball up kinda high so D-Po can run up under it.”

“I just saw a burst from D-Po I hadn’t seen all season. I was like ‘man, I don’t know if he gonna make it!’ That’s my favourite moment for him this whole season.”

When Trestman took to the stage along with Calgary Head Coach Dave Dickenson at the Grey Cup Head Coaches Conference earlier this week he was asked about the Argos’ receiving corps and specifically about Posey. He talked in glowing terms, obviously happy that Posey had heeded the message.

“I really love where Posey’s at right now,” Trestman said. “He’s gone through, I think, a personal transformation of how he approaches the game. He’s become a selfless player.”

“I think he’s grown up a lot as a person, and that’s what I’m most proud of, of him. And he’s been able to make plays when we’ve needed to make plays throughout the second – or the last third of the season, and that’s exciting as well. So the entire development as a person and as a player has been impressive and a joy to watch.”

When told of Trestman’s remarks, Posey nodded his head slowly, appreciatively. What exactly did the coach mean?

“He believes that If you do good, and you work hard, that it’ll come back to you,” said Posey. “I think that’s what he’s kinda referring to.”

“I just want to make sure that people know me by hard work. People know me by being a good person. People know me by positivity and just loving life. That’s what I’ve been trying to do this year.”

Last week, in the Eastern Final, Posey caught a touchdown pass in the late moments of the second quarter and added a splendid, clutch, sideline catch during the Argos’ late touchdown drive to victory against Saskatchewan. He could talk about either of those moments, or the one in Hamilton as personal highlights but instead chose to talk about three catches he didn’t even make when asked what stands out.

“S.J. Green in Saskatchewan, (Anthony) Coombs, in Winnipeg, when he had that tipped ball and had that run after catch, and then third and sixteen against Winnipeg, ol’ Jimmy Ralph from south Alberta goes big for 25 yards and gets us in the red zone for the win,” said Posey.

His own heroics took a back seat and that might be just the kind of thing that Trestman was talking about and the kind of thing that Posey has been striving for since the switch got flipped, in Calgary, last August.

His diving grab in Hamilton might be Green’s favourite Posey catch, but if you ask the man himself, he might opt for another.

He could tell you that, instead, his best reception was the one he made of a text message sent by his head coach.

Wow. One suspected that Trestman has had that effect on quite a few players in the pro ranks. Very new age. A zillion miles from old school.

Trestman is gold and we are blessed to have him in the CFL.

I am surprised that Trestman didn't have more success in the NFL but it may be because that league has too many entitled multi-millionaires.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:36 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:56 am

Don Landry

Trestman is gold and we are blessed to have him in the CFL.

I am surprised that Trestman didn't have more success in the NFL but it may be because that league has too many entitled multi-millionaires.
I'm thinking that Trestman is successful in the CFL as his coaching style matches the culture and the players here and not so much in the NFL where the culture on an NFL is vastly different.

Wilder, Jr was saying how Trestman kept him in football even before he got to Toronto.

Look at the players and fan interactions these days where players ask fans for help on things. Duron Carter asked how to get an x-box something or other. Last week after the Riders lost to Argos, Jovon Johnson was asking if someone could hook him up for some tires to get back on so he too had no issue asking fans for where he could get a deal either.

Carter refers to the NFL for him as having "chains" on and on the anthem issue was saying in an interview that Canadians might not understand the issue down south as up here things are "normal."

All of this speaks to a different culture.

I'm surprised that some media are picking the Argos other than to suggest that in a one game final anything can happen. Somehow I can't see Calgary wanting to be denied this time.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Ricky Ray will lead his underdog Argos to a victory and retire as a champion
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

Some photos from the Lions' Den in Ottawa:

This last one was funny, by chance we encountered a bunch of Felions (I guess the ones not on the hook for the final segment of the evening) going for chocolate at Québécois chain Cacao 70:

Blitz
Team Captain

I'm really looking forward to the Grey Cup game and hope its a good one.

Calgary is the favorite and for a number of reasons. The Stamps beat the Argos twice this season and outscored them in the two contests by a 2-1 margin (62 points for Calgary and 31 points for Toronto over the two games). The Stamps also began this season 13-1-1 when they were competing hard for first place in the West and were playing meaningful games. They have a ton of talent and excellent coaching.

Most of the Stampeder players played in last season's Grey Cup and come into this game with that experience.

However, the Argos were 6-2 down the stretch and the addition of Wilder has taken some pressure off the Argos passing attack. He will be the player that the Stamps focus on most today.

The Stamps will likely play a lot of man defense against the Argos and they have defensive backs who can play that style very well. With the Stamps tying for the league lead in quarterback sacks, they have a defensive line with the ability to get quick pressure on Ricky Ray and that will help their man style of defense.

Calgary also has a middle linebacker in Alex Singleton who has the tools to make it a tough game for Wilder.

On offence, Calgary scored the second most points in the CFL and only gave up 30 sacks. Their running attack was the key to winning the WDF and will also be a key to a victory in the Grey Cup. Toronto's defense is very vulnerable to the run.

In order for Toronto win this game, they will need an excellent game plan, excellent play calling, and excellent execution to exploit Calgary's defense, which was the best defense in the CFL this season. Calgary's offence gets a lot of attention but it was Claybrooks defense that was the strength of this team in 2017.

Calgary gave up 81 less points than the next best defense in the CFL this season and that second best defense belonged to Chris Jones Saskatchewan Roughriders.

On defense, if Toronto wants to win this game, they have to shut down Calgarys' running attack and stopping the run has not been a strength. However, they have a very good pass rush so if they can stop the run, they do have the ability to rush the quarterback.

Bo Levi usually operates in the pocket with incredible time to throw the football. This year, he didn't have quite as much time as in the past, on occasion, and when he was under pressure he didn't perform as well (nor does any quarterback) For example our B.C. Lions gave up the most sacks in the CFL this season and the result of that lack of quarterback protection showed up in our season's record.

Toronto's defense tied for most quarterback sacks this season. Shut down the Calgary run and get pressure on Bo Levi and we will have a close game.

Coaching will also be a key to victory and both teams have excellent coaching staffs. Marc Trestman's Argos really improved in the second half of the season and he has the ability to come up with a game plan that could upset the Stamps.

But Calgary also has excellent coaching. Dickenson (with help from Hufnagel) will come into this game with a good game plan to exploit Toronto's defense. Claybrooks will have a plan to take away Toronto's offensive tendencies.

I like this Grey Cup matchup. Two experienced quarterbacks, two very good running backs, and each team has receivers who can get the job done.

On defense, both can bring quarterback pressure. I give the edge to the Stamps based on experience, offensive line, defensive line against the run, and defensive secondary, and punt return team but the Argos also showed last week that they can bring a punt return back to the house as well.

I'm pulling for the Argos. I love their story of a team that was in disarray afer finishing last in the East in 2016. Marc Trestmann and Jim Popp did an incredible job in 2017 against some very tough odds. They are the underdog and I love to pull for an underdog. Its also easy to cheer for the old vet in Ricky Ray, he took more than his share of punishment over the past couple of seasons in Toronto, was injured hard and often, and now has a chance to be rewarded. Much easier to pull for him than the cocky Bo Levi Mitchell.

But if Calgary wins, how could one not also feel good about Dave Dickenson winning his first Grey Cup as a Head Coach. His first two seasons as a Head Coach have been a tremendous success. One also has to respect John Hufnagel.

He mentored Dickenson very well and has been very supportive and helpful, without being controlling. It would also be easy to be happy for Devon Claybrooks, who learned defense from Rich Stubler and had big shoes to fill and he has done that admirably.

Give me either coaching staff over the misery of our Leos coaching group. I appreciate and respect good coaching and its significance in pro football and both these Grey Cup teams contending today are a reflection of excellent coaching. As a Leos fan I I envy their coaching staffs.

Hope its a good game.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I think Calgary will win and will cheer for them. It has been a tradition since I was a kid to cheer for the Western team. Also I have never liked Toronto, despite liking their coach. The city does not support the team and do not deserve the Grey Cup. Even if they win it will not make much a difference. They want an NFL team and always considered the CFL as a second class league. The city of Calgary would appreciate the Grey Cup more than Toronto.

Go Calgary.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:49 am

Give me either coaching staff over the misery of our Leos coaching group. I appreciate and respect good coaching and its significance in pro football and both these Grey Cup teams contending today are a reflection of excellent coaching. As a Leos fan I I envy their coaching staffs.

Hope its a good game.
I have been saying this for over ten years calmly and quietly, that second rate outdated coaching starts with those in power, who uphold a less than excellence attitude, when it comes to promoting, and fielding a winning power structure, and philosophy.

And so when the owner/president is negligent and /or absent from the day to day operations of the franchise, they be must found wanting by the league, that gives them power over and beyond a conflict of interest, when it comes to the two or more interests they represent.

And it must be put upon that owner to sell off one of the two interest, in the greater good of the league!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Cheering on the Argos but I think Calgary will win.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blizzard in the nation's capital. Another snow game
Robbie
Hall of Famer

With all the snow on the air and on the field, let's how much mother nature will have on outcome of the game. This can be considered the second snow bowl after the 1996 Grey Cup held in Hamilton.

I suppose those wintry conditions are more predominant in Calgary than Toronto in late November.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Unlike the NFL, certainly no kneeling in protest during the national anthem. :thup:

But even after the announcement by the PA announcer, many of the those in the audience did not abide by hat etiquette and continued to wear their headgear during the national anthem. :thdn:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Lots of dropped passes and fumbles? Likely.
The team with the fewer mistakes will win.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

6-0 lead for Calgary after TD and missed 2-point conversion.
祝你龍年行大運。