Football Operations: GM Ed Hervey, HC Wally Buono and the Coaching Staff

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maxlion
Legend

I'll put my money on Jarious Jackson as OC, but just a wild guess. You can never have too many JJs.

Marcus Brady and Tommy Condell would be my dark horse candidates.
David
Team Captain

I have no doubt that Travis could step into the OC role. He's already been our de facto quarterbacks coach. Very cerebral guy with a long rehab ahead. Perhaps he could be coaxed into OC job and sign James Franklin to a one-year contract before he tries the NFL, so you'd have JJ and Franklin challenge for the starter's role. Franklin is ready for that next step (no way he's going to unseat Reilly) and could capably fill in for JJ who really needs to take his game to the next level and cut down on the interceptions.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I do not think they will hire Travis. He has no coaching experience. I think he would have to be the QB coach first. I think Travis would be a long shot. I too think Jarious J would be a candidate if he is willing to leave the Riders. But he turned down Buono 2 years ago to go to the Riders.

Anyone think Anthony C could be a dark horse OC candidate here. Rumours on the Als forum he may leave the Als to pursue other opportunities.

As for Marcel B to me that would be more of the same and no real change from Jones. Not a fan of him being promoted.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hard to say how much influence Ed had in the firing of these coaches but it is interesting to note that the two survivors, Washington and Dorazio are the longest serving Lions coaches AND Wally's long time favourites.
leo4life
All Star

Dorazio & Washington will ride into the sunset with Bouno,win or lose so expect the same zone read blocking/run schemes & soft zone coverage on D..."guys you gotta exucute"
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Maxlion said:

Marcus Brady and Tommy Condell would be my dark horse candidates.

Brady is the OC in Toronto. No way he leaves the Argos for one that could last one year if new coach wants his own guys.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:08 pm
I thought Khari Jones did pretty well with what he had. The biggest problem with the offence was that Jennings didn't use it well, ignoring his outside receivers and targeting his two inside slots on half his pass attempts, often throwing into double coverage and giving up the most interceptions in the league for the second straight year. The offence was by far the most diverse and most productive in the league when Lulay was at QB, and still led the league in red-zone efficiency overall.
Khari Jones was also the quarterback coach.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Steve Ewen, Wally says the timing of new coaching hires is complicated by the fact that the leading candidates are up for several jobs at the same time.
Asked about when the Lions expect to start putting their coaching staff together, Buono explained: “Some of that is complicated by the fact that there are people (the Lions like for positions) who are up for other jobs with other teams. I think it will be a case where when one thing falls into place, a lot of things will fall into place.”

As for the type of offensive coordinator that Hervey and Buono covet, Buono said this: “Ed and I believe in a lot of the same philosophies. We think alike. We have a lot of the same values. When it comes to what kind of offence we want, we‘re on the same page.”
B.C. Lions on lookout for new offensive coordinator but Buono isn't sure when one will be in place
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Does that mean Tommy Condell is a candidate here? Not sure who else is up for the Montreal job that is an OC.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:55 pm
I have no doubt that Travis could step into the OC role. He's already been our de facto quarterbacks coach. Very cerebral guy with a long rehab ahead. Perhaps he could be coaxed into OC job and sign James Franklin to a one-year contract before he tries the NFL, so you'd have JJ and Franklin challenge for the starter's role. Franklin is ready for that next step (no way he's going to unseat Reilly) and could capably fill in for JJ who really needs to take his game to the next level and cut down on the interceptions.

Catch 22. If they believe Franklin can challenge Jennings for the starting position then I think they have to get him to sign a multi-year deal. Doesn't make sense to have both competing to start on expiring contracts. I acknowledge the concept of being motivated to earn a new deal but you could wind up with neither come 2019. The only way I see Franklin ending up here is if Hervey believes in him to the point he's willing to make the bold move and acquire Franklin to be the starter, as he did with Reilly, and move Jennings.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

There's no way Franklin is going to sign a long term CFL deal. At least, not until he assesses his NFL value. Now, there is a big difference between shopping one's wares down south and making a roster, I know. Especially for someone who hasn't even been a starter up here. But anyone who has seen this guy play knows he oozes potential, and there aren't a lot of top-notch starting quarterbacks down there on the bottom third of NFL rosters, let alone back-ups and third strings league-wide. He has the size too.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:59 pm
There's no way Franklin is going to sign a long term CFL deal. At least, not until he assesses his NFL value. Now, there is a big difference between shopping one's wares down south and making a roster, I know. Especially for someone who hasn't even been a starter up here. But anyone who has seen this guy play knows he oozes potential, and there aren't a lot of top-notch starting quarterbacks down there on the bottom third of NFL rosters, let alone back-ups and third strings league-wide. He has the size too.

Totally agree with that David. As a pending FA I think he will be working hard to get some tryouts and hopefully sign an NFL deal before he makes any decisions on his CFL future for 2018. If he doesn't get any contract offers then he's at a bit of a crossroads. Does he decide his future is the CFL and go all in on getting the best long term deal up here? Does he try for a one year deal to give himself another shot next off-season? Does a CFL club want him under a one year deal to compete for the starter job knowing they are also grooming him to depart for another NFL shot as soon as the season ends?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The bottom line:

In a normal situation Wally would retain VP role, hire Ed Hervey and let Ed hire his HC and coaching staff. Given that there's effectively no President, Wally would assume that role.

Wally could mentor the new GM on how to deal with the owner, the President and fans and the media by modelling this over the year and providing some advice. Hervey is a brutal interview as he seemingly lacks any training.

This is brutally unfair to the GM to be in a situation where he is stuck with a HC and staff not of his choosing (unless he's lost his senses).

This arrangement is all about Wally - and all he wants is a talent scout which Hervey has proven to be.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:28 pm
The bottom line:

In a normal situation Wally would retain VP role, hire Ed Hervey and let Ed hire his HC and coaching staff. Given that there's effectively no President, Wally would assume that role.

Wally could mentor the new GM on how to deal with the owner, the President and fans and the media by modelling this over the year and providing some advice. Hervey is a brutal interview as he seemingly lacks any training.

This is brutally unfair to the GM to be in a situation where he is stuck with a HC and staff not of his choosing (unless he's lost his senses).

This arrangement is all about Wally - and all he wants is a talent scout which Hervey has proven to be.
Yes, it is an odd arrangement of authority and roles.

If Braley does not sell for a few more years, one wonders if Wally stays on as HC for a few more years.

If the results on the field next year mirror this year, I expect Wally will pull the pin. If they have a certain amount of success, and if Braley asks, Wally might stay on as Head Coach.

Ed may be GM, but one doubts he would ever push Wally out the door. [Braley in Hamilton: ''Ed, you want to fire Wally? Sorry, Ed, it is you going out the door.'']

So now we have Wally, seemingly out of the GM role, Ed, seemingly in the GM role, Neil, long time assistant GM, and Geroy, seemingly groomed for the GM role. Only in Wally's World. Ha ha

At least they are changing some of the coaching staff. Mark and Dan are holdovers so far.

Wally has the loyalty of David Braley and the loyalty of many of the fans. Many a coach would be shuffled off after a year like we just had. The changes have taken some of the heat off Wally. It seems to me the team better sparkle next year, or the franchise will accelerate in its downward spiral. I suppose some fans are buying into the changes.

I like Hervey. I like his Head Coach hirings in Edmonton. I like his upgrading of the talent there. I like his life story. But so far, this kind of seems like smoke and mirrors. When the smoke clears, it may well seem like same old, same old. The Big Three return: Wally, Mark and Dan. Will we see the same defence? Will we see the same problems with the O Line? Even with a new STs coach, will the STs look the same, easily fooled, very, very easily scouted?

As odd as some of this seems to some fans, all that really matters are the results on the field. This year was a failure. We will see about 2018 soon enough.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I believe Wally when he says it is his final year and he is retiring. He has already told everyone including the owner. I highly doubt he will change his mind. His decision will influence Hervey in maybe who they chose for the new OC and they may draw up a list near the end of the season of candidates. This is Wally's swan song. He made it pretty clear at the press conference.