Football Operations: GM Ed Hervey, HC Wally Buono and the Coaching Staff

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:39 pm
Oh, when Casey said Warren Moon was his model it was laughable for one reason. Moon was totally established in the CFL (5 GCs IIRC) and he went to the NFL IIRC when Hugh Campbell his former Esks coach was there so already he had the love.
And now, with all these celebrity sexual harassment accusations and lawsuits, the latest charges include Warren Moon. :shock:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

We finished 7-11, missing the playoffs.

Many on here were anticipating, or hoping for a clean sweep of the coaching staff. If Braley had sold the team I expect that is what would have happened.

For the year's work and the results on the field, this CFL fan would give failing grades to the entire coaching staff, starting with Wally Buono, Mark Washington, Dan Dorazio and Marcello Simmons. The offence as designed and called by Khari Jones had its moments.

As we see, a clean sweep is not going to happen.

Wally is back for one more year as HC. I think the odds favour the return of Mark and Khari. Dan might survive. Some lower on the food chain might be cut loose.

I expect we will see much the same playbook, game plans and game preparation. I think one can expect to see the same philosophy, mostly a play-it-safe approach.

Hiring Ed Hervey was a good move. But that influence will not kick in, full bore, until 2019.

Wally is back. Mark, Khari and Dan might all be back.

I would not get one's hopes up too high for next year. The trend has not been up for our team.

We await any further developments with the staff.

Just IMO. Others will see things differently.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

That is probably pretty close to the mark WCJ. I'm not sure Dorazio survives to next year. The Oline was pretty abysmal by any standard and that has been a stated area for repair. However, I can also see Dorazio hanging em up along with WB and calling it a career. On that basis, they might give him one last season to retire on his own terms rather than be fired. As for the rest, they are probably here until Wally is gone which means we have another wonderful season to look forward too. I guess even if we lose more games next year, it would hardly make things appreciably worse whereas I suppose lightening could strike and they improve measurably.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

Even if the coaching stays exactly same as last season, a 20% improvement in talent along the O-line, D-line, and in our QB production could result in a 40% improvement in wins (from 7 to 10). We didn't lose many games by a wide margin. Yes, we were dreadful in some (the game in Regina where the wheels fell off the wagon for one), but we lost a few in the dying minutes, with some epic collapses.

Hopefully Ed can work some recruiting magic. I also see him more willing to pull the trigger on trades. Whether it was reluctance on Wally's part or other GMs unwilling to deal with him (for myriad of reasons - from not liking what was offered to fear of getting fleeced) but for years we have rarely gone the trade route. I know it's not easy in the SMS world, but other teams have. I think back to the Eskimos trade with Hamilton for CJ Gable late in the year. Made them instantly more dangerous.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hervey might improve the International talent in the D Line.

O Line? IMO that is a coaching matter that changes in personnel will not fix.

Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Saskatchewan will not be standing pat. One might even expect improvement in each. The coaching staffs are effective and stable.

In the East, this CFL fan expects Toronto, Ottawa and Hamilton to be competitive. Who knows about Montreal?

Our Lions? By year's end, we were ranked 8th of the 9 teams, ahead of only Montreal. Will our playbook look the same to opponents? Will our game preparation be focused on simplicity and execution? Will it seem that opponents are fully prepped on our plans?

One might expect improved play from our D Line and O Line. No guarantees of that. Will we get better play from the QB position? Maybe. A lot depends on the level of pass protection our quarterbacks get.

The odds are against us rising up near the top, it seems to me.

With the hiring of Ed Hervey, Wally has thrown a life line to the hopes of fans, perhaps more for 2019 than 2018. This fan does not suffer as much with losses these days. Less emotional involvement. More of a focus on just enjoying the games, and looking at the level of play.

Just IMO. There will be more optimistic views out there. There is always hope in a new season.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

South Pender
Legend

Robbie wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:27 pm

And now, with all these celebrity sexual harassment accusations and lawsuits, the latest charges include Warren Moon. :shock:
This is off-topic, I guess, but, yeah, Robbie, that's too bad. It's always disappointing to find that one of your heroes has feet of clay. This isn't the first time that Moon has been sued for sexual harassment; it's happened before. And then there was the time he beat up his wife and went to trial.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

From Farhan Lalji. Most of Wally's assistant coaches are gone but Dan Dorazio seems to have survived.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting development. I think most of us thought Buono might tweak the staff but expected most of them to return.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

So who is lining up to work under Wally for 1 season knowing a new head coach is coming in 2019 and wanting his own staff?

Hardly ideal to say the least.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I thought Simmons, Ross and Dorazio would be let go based on the performance of their units. This is an even bigger shakeup, and if Mark Washington goes to Montreal the Lions will need to find new coordinators for offence, defence and special teams. I wonder if Rich Stubler is on good terms with Wally and Ed Hervey.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:38 pm
From Farhan Lalji. Most of Wally's assistant coaches are gone but Dan Dorazio seems to have survived.
Dan Dorazio is the ultimate survivor in Wally's World. LOL

Mark W also.

Khari? Mixed results for him as OC.

Marcello had to go, although Wally takes an active hand in STs at practice.

Ross had to go, although the DL lacked INTL talent IMO.

They are making changes. Significant changes? The 2 biggest weaknesses last year were with the DC and O Line, IMO. And Mark and Dan are still here so far. Changes made for public consumption? Of course. But they are changing to a degree. :thup:

2019 cannot come fast enough for this fan. LOL

maxlion
Legend

Not surprised to see these moves, though I thought Khari survive. Dorazio may retire or move on after a new OC is hired.

Hervey seemed to have a good eye for coaches in Edmonton. The one year of Buono could be a benefit if the new OC is to be groomed for a HC role. Overall, though, I would think that the uncertainty is a negative to hiring replacements. Could work, but a bit awkward.
longtimefan
Starter

According to TSN's Farhan Lalji, the B.C. Lions have parted ways with multiple coaches. The list includes offensive co-ordinator Khari Jones, special teams coach Marcello Simmons, defensive line coach Robin Ross and Receivers coach Marcel Bellefeuille.
Great news if it's true
JohnnyMusso
Champion

If Farhan is reporting this, it must be true. Clearly Ed Hervey has had some influence here. Some of these coaches gone are not surprising. For months, several of us felt they would fire Robin Ross and Marcello Simmons. The special teams and defensive line were terrible this year, so no surprise they are gone. Marcel B is a bit surprising, but he may end up on the Montreal staff as OC, if Mark W gets the gig in Montreal. The biggest surprise is Khari Jones getting fired. I for one am glad he is gone, for never was a fan of his play calling and remember him calling all throwing plays in one game when Lions were on the other team's 3. Never once called a running play and we have one of the best RB's in the league. We ended up either kicking a field goal or getting nothing. I do not remember. Will be interesting who they hire for OC. The rest do not interest me much, but maybe Travis Moore comes back here as receivers coach.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

If Mark W gets the gig in Montreal, he will be gone too.