Football Operations: GM Ed Hervey, HC Wally Buono and the Coaching Staff

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

leo4life
All Star

Also notice how Tedford wanted to work with a DC from another team:Orlando Steinhauer....no one from his Leos staff...lol
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The decline of the Lions began when Bobby Ackles died. No way he would have let it get this bad. It is as bad now as it was in the Adam Rita days before he came back, maybe worse.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:29 pm
The decline of the Lions began when Bobby Ackles died. No way he would have let it get this bad. It is as bad now as it was in the Adam Rita days before he came back, maybe worse.
Hard to say if Bob would still be there today. He was already pushing 70 when we lost him. He may already have retired by now himself given he'd be 79 if he was still with us.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

David wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:20 am
Ed Willes and Farhan Lalji both reporting that it looks like Wally will return as both GM and coach in 2017.

Note, this is not official. Just speculation.

Expect all the staff to be back, no changes or firings. I doubt any of the Lions coaches will get the gig in Montreal. Better candidates out there.

Farhan said the announcement could come as early as next week, which I think it will. Maybe Weds or Thurs in a press conference and then a big sales job to try to sell it.
longtimefan
Starter

Someone once said "fool me once, shame on me" and we are at fool me 3,4 or 5 times..I've lost count. I don't believe that any sales job can sell this team until Wally and his "******" coaches are gone. This team just needs one coach to stand up to Wally and tell him that the leather helmet days are gone...my 2 cents worth. I'm not a season ticket holder. I now live in Wpg and usually fly out to attend a few games each year and visit with family and old friends. I saved a lot of money this past season by only flying out once and not buying tickets. I can watch tv to watch the Titantic sink.

Mod Edit - let's keep the conversation civil. Thanks!
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Now on to the BC Lions. When will the news that Buono is back come. Tomorrow? Likely Tuesday or Wednesday press conference announced, though news will leak before.
leo4life
All Star

Breaking News BC Lions will appoint Dan Dorazio as next HC/OC/OLine Coach....LOL
JohnnyMusso
Champion

If news comes this week, I now think it will come Thursday or Friday. We have been waiting long enough; it is time to announce it. No need for press conference, if Buono back with all 3 hats, just do a press release.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:05 pm
Breaking News BC Lions will appoint Dan Dorazio as next HC/OC/OLine Coach....LOL
Yes. He did wear two of those hats at the same time. OC and O Line coach. OC was shared with Stef Kruk.

Blitz would remember, but I think those two guys did all right together. But Kruk got the heave ho later.

If we do not have Steward back in the O Line ... Aiee yiee yiee
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:53 pm
If news comes this week, I now think it will come Thursday or Friday. We have been waiting long enough; it is time to announce it. No need for press conference, if Buono back with all 3 hats, just do a press release.
Isn't that how politicians do it ? Announce the bad news late in the afternoon on a Friday.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Would not be surprised if news is announced on Friday afternoon. It will hardly create a buzz around the team, exact opposite.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:44 pm
leo4life wrote:
Yes. He did wear two of those hats at the same time. OC and O Line coach. OC was shared with Stef Kruk.

Blitz would remember, but I think those two guys did all right together. But Kruk got the heave ho later.

Kruck and Dorazio were co-OCs with Kruck calling the plays. When Jacque C returned after his year making Ricky Ray look ordinary it was the beginning of the end for Kruck as he was sent to the booth as the RECEIVERS cried to Wally that they needed their REC coach at field level. It was bogus and likely fueled by their animosity towards Kruck running the ball more.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:56 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:44 pm
leo4life wrote:

Kruck and Dorazio were co-OCs with Kruck calling the plays. When Jacque C returned after his year making Ricky Ray look ordinary it was the beginning of the end for Kruck as he was sent to the booth as the RECEIVERS cried to Wally that they needed their REC coach at field level. It was bogus and likely fueled by their animosity towards Kruck running the ball more.
Ah yes, the memories, Toppy.
While serving as Co Offensive Coordinator BC set the franchise record for wins going 14-3-1 and led the CFL in points scored. -- from Stef Kruk's bio at Arizonza Christian University
He was a friendly guy to the fans, seemingly not in Wally's inner circle.

So long ago. Better times. Our staff moves, our player moves, sometimes mysterious, sometimes Machiavellian, all seemed to work out better in those times.

Even the systems worked better. But times change. Adaptations take place. Systems get dated.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It looks like today is the day.

SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:04 am
It looks like today is the day.

What I expect will happen:
Wally remains GM and HC but announces Khari Jones will not be retained as OC (at least that's what Cory Philpot told me would happen a couple of weeks ago).

What I hope will happen: Wally stays on as GM but appoints Mark Washington as the new head coach. If he really believes Washington is HC material then give him the job now. Another season like the last and Washington is swept out the door and Wally heads for retirement IF the team is sold.
Would he make a good HC? Who knows but I would rather see him get a shot than the same old same old. At least the Lions would have a HC in his 40s rather than late 60s.