Football Operations: GM Ed Hervey, HC Wally Buono and the Coaching Staff

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

The anti-Wally narrative has hit ridiculous proportions. Am I pleased with his coaching after last season? Not at all. But blaming Wally for other coaches here failing is just downright wrong. And to insinuate Wally was the reason Tedford failed her is also wrong.
Roar you Lions roar!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

So Montreal has asked to speak to some of our staff. Not sure how that works out, timing-wise, and in other ways.

If Wally is back wearing all of his hats, then Mark W might want to move on to a HC gig, should that be offered.

If Wally is not back as HC, then all of our guys might be on the bubble.

So, I wonder if Wally gave his guys permission to speak to Montreal. If Wally is undecided about returning in all of his roles, I can't see him giving permission until he makes that first decision.

One would think that he has made his decision by now. ''To be or not to be (Head Coach), that is the question.''

Many uncertainties in this situation.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
leo4life
All Star

Bouno deserves all the blame hes getting he runs everything and when it goes south throws players under the bus....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From the article posted by Sammy on the previous page ...

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/co ... 03153.html

Tedford brought in Steinauer as DC with good results. Tedford liked what he saw of Steinauer when in Canada. Steinauer was getting consideration for HC up here previously.

I suppose Montreal might be calling for a look-see.
Perhaps the smartest thing Tedford has done at Fresno was hiring defensive coordinator Orlondo Steinauer out of the CFL. The 44-year-old West Coast native played and coached in Canada from 1996-2016, the last three years as defensive coordinator of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. It was during Tedford’s one season as a head coach in the CFL that he became a fan of Steinauer’s work.

“I knew if I ever got a head job, I’d ask him if he’d be interested in joining me,” Tedford said.

Steinauer came aboard and has been a key part of the immediate turnaround. Fresno is 12th nationally in total defense at 308 yards allowed per game — and that’s after games against powerhouses Alabama and Washington.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

leo4life wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:05 pm
Bouno deserves all the blame hes getting he runs everything and when it goes south throws players under the bus....
There are lots of valid criticisms of B.C.’s coaching this year. Coaching deficiencies, and the poor play of Jennings, were the reasons the Lions underachieved. I’ve never accused Wally of throwing players under the bus, though. He is a straight shooter who will give an honest asessment of breakdowns. If there are busted coverages, undisciplined penalties, lazy routes, poor decisions or lack of intensity or “urgency,” he’ll say so, and he’ll usually be right. I just wish he were more candid and open in admitting coaching mistakes and deficiencies. Coaches are responsible for making sure the players are prepared and that they execute their assignments.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:58 pm
leo4life wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:05 pm
There are lots of valid criticisms of B.C.’s coaching this year. Coaching deficiencies, and the poor play of Jennings, were the reasons the Lions underachieved. I’ve never accused Wally of throwing players under the bus, though. He is a straight shooter who will give an honest asessment of breakdowns. If there are busted coverages, undisciplined penalties, lazy routes, poor decisions or lack of intensity or “urgency,” he’ll say so, and he’ll usually be right. I just wish he were more candid and open in admitting coaching mistakes and deficiencies. Coaches are responsible for making sure the players are prepared and that they execute their assignments.
Coaches love to use the word 'team' when they are striving to create a winning atmosphere. But when you single out players publically to the press and media, the concept of 'team' goes out the window. If you were a player or a member of the player's family, or a friend, you really would not like it plus you have no recourse - its not as if players can easily publically be critical of a coach.

This season, however, we did see players finally and very carefully make some comments after being blamed time after time. Travis Lulay, Chris Rainey, and Jeremiah Johnson did allude to coaching being part of the scenario to get things turned (which didn't happen).

Over the Buono 'reign' here in B.C. its been rare that players have been critical of the coaching staff. Andrew Harris spoke out about the offensive scheme, with three different offensive coordinators and Jason Jiminez spoke out about Dorazio's coachin after he was gone. Dean Valli spoke out once about the challenges of blocking for a stationary pocket 'in 2012.

But its been rare and for two reasons. Players are developed in a culture of 'executing' coaching decisions and don't tend to question them and they especially don't question them publically. Buono has also been the GM and HC most of the time here in B.C. and not going anywhere so that also makes it unwise to say anything.

Its one thing to always blame the players and another to single them out publically. The press and media also rely on Buono for quotes, interviews with players etc. and he is known for bringing in a reporter for a dressing down if they write something he takes offence to.

This board is probably the only place where Buono's coaching has a spot light on it at times. I think that is a good thing. It helps to provide some balance to an equation that is heavily weighted on Buono's side.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:08 pm
The anti-Wally narrative has hit ridiculous proportions. Am I pleased with his coaching after last season? Not at all. But blaming Wally for other coaches here failing is just downright wrong. And to insinuate Wally was the reason Tedford failed her is also wrong.
Nothing ridiculous when you are the architect of one playoff win in the last six years under 3 different head coaches including himself. And to top it off the owner wants him to delay retirement until he unloads the team.

Wonder how many others have not promptly renewed their STs?
The_Pauser
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:28 am
Nothing ridiculous when you are the architect of one playoff win in the last six years under 3 different head coaches including himself. And to top it off the owner wants him to delay retirement until he unloads the team.

Wonder how many others have not promptly renewed their STs?
See? That's valid criticism, and I 100% agree with you there. The results have not been there with this team and we want to see some improvements.

But to start making up things like Wally is the reason Tedford didn't succeed, or suggesting Wally wasn't letting to...you don't need to go there. There's enough legitimate things to criticize Wally on that we don't need to start making things up and going overboard.
Roar you Lions roar!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wally has perhaps his biggest challenge this off season.

Retire? That is a tough decision.

Go through more stress?

Stay as GM? Who will coach? Will the fans get onboard? Will the fan support suffer if he chooses Mark Washington as successor?

What about the present staff? If Wally stays as HC, he would no doubt like to keep most of the staff. Montreal is calling. Let the assistants talk?

Stay as GM and Head Coach? Keep Mark W, Khari and Dan D? Will the fans endorse that?

Stay as an executive only? Choose Neil McAvoy as GM? That would be a big letting go of control for Wally, especially if Neil gets to choose the Head Coach, as he should, IMO. And the Head Coach should no doubt get to choose his coordinators and coaching staff.

What if Wally stays through 2018 and Braley asks him to stay through 2019?

It is not fun for Lions fans these days. But, in its own way it is interesting.

Has time passed Wally by?

If he returns, will his methods make for a competitive team? Will he adjust in terms of preferred defensive philosophy? Will he keep the focus on executing a relatively simple scheme on offence and defence and STs?

Could another 7-11 team be in the works?

Would hopes for more be unrealistic?

Could we actually challenge for the Grey Cup with the same cast?

Many unknowns. The bottom line is fan support. Key decisions coming up ...

JohnnyMusso
Champion

According to Lowell Ulrich:

state of the league address, commissioner Randy Ambrosie says he will push owner David Braley to name a #BCLions club president for 2018 season.

Does that mean Braley will change his mind and hire someone or convince Ambrosie he can do the job.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:29 pm
According to Lowell Ulrich:

state of the league address, commissioner Randy Ambrosie says he will push owner David Braley to name a #BCLions club president for 2018 season.

Does that mean Braley will change his mind and hire someone or convince Ambrosie he can do the job.
Here's more from Ed Willes on Ambrosie and Braley's stagnant ownership:
Ed Willes: B.C. Lions' major problems start at the top in stagnant den
JohnnyMusso
Champion

In reading the article, it seems that things seem hopeless. It will be the same owner, same coach & GM, same staff and continuing losing on and off the field.

I have a feeling we all will be disappointed with the coming Lions news next week that we are all expecting to hear. The question is now will they change anything, even one assistant coach. Seems to me the emphasis will be changes in team's players.
Last edited by JohnnyMusso on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://theprovince.com/sports/football/ ... agnant-den
In his five months on the job, Ambrosie has scored some victories in attempting to drag the league into the 21st century. But, in the Lions and their obdurate owner David Braley, he confronts old-school CFL problems: a backward franchise that operates according to its own outdated practices and principles.

Ambrose was asked about this Friday, asked how the Lions could operate without a president for the 2017 season; asked, essentially, how the franchise in the league’s second-largest English-speaking market could be run so poorly.
Braley does not seem to see it as pointed out in the article.

''Old-school problems''

''Backward franchise''

''Outdated practices and principles''

''Run so poorly''

My gawd, we sure miss Bobby Ackles.

SammyGreene
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:15 pm
http://theprovince.com/sports/football/ ... agnant-den
In his five months on the job, Ambrosie has scored some victories in attempting to drag the league into the 21st century. But, in the Lions and their obdurate owner David Braley, he confronts old-school CFL problems: a backward franchise that operates according to its own outdated practices and principles.

Ambrose was asked about this Friday, asked how the Lions could operate without a president for the 2017 season; asked, essentially, how the franchise in the league’s second-largest English-speaking market could be run so poorly.
Braley does not seem to see it as pointed out in the article.

''Old-school problems''

''Backward franchise''

''Outdated practices and principles''

''Run so poorly''

My gawd, we sure miss Bobby Ackles.
Sad times WC Joe. Willes paints an ugly picture because it is one. This search for a new president is a farce. Skulsky closing in on 2 year anniversary of announcing his resignation.

Really thought it was going to be a year of transition back in the spring. Sale announced at some point and maybe even new GM announced in late stages of season with Wally's endorsement to begin work on 2018.

Instead likely headed for status quo or promoting from within. As Farhan keeps pointing out no one is going to want to come here with so much instability off the field.

Sad thing is West is extremely competitive. Stamps and Esks going nowhere and wouldn’t be surprised to see Jones reunite with Franklin to take over from Glenn as Riders No. 1 QB next season. They could be that much better.

Bombers no slouch either. Lions will be in tough even if they bounce back from 2017.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Very disconcerting to hear that Braley doesn't think there are problems with the Lions brand.