Football Operations: GM Ed Hervey, HC Wally Buono and the Coaching Staff

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

leo4life
All Star

Well said Johnny! I could see a big spin job coming from Bouno to bring back his loyal staff...maybe jettison DL coach & Marcell WR job....they dont realise it wont sell again in 2018 fans are not stupid
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It's a good thing nothing is happening in public until post Grey Cup as the Lions and Wally Buono need some to time to think things through so we don't get a precipitous dumb decision.

Wally walking away makes little to no sense for him or this owner or the franchise and ultimately the fans ----unless there's a clear logical long term solution - not some unemployed guy who no one else would touch for GM like Ed Hervey.

How could someone form a staff under these circumstances?

Thus Sir Wally has to remain and put a staff together that won't hurt the gate more than it's been hurt. Shaking up his staff is one key factor - figuring out if the QB is the guy is another - then working on FAs and the line up for next season.

This team was not that far off but I know fans don't wanna hear.

Who's out there without a job and who could be HC?

Who knows maybe Jason Maas could finger Benevides for not stopping the 151 yard runners - especially after he put his FG kick team on instead of gamble. Benny gets fired and he brings back Jacque Chapdelaine with STs handled by Jeff Reinebold - also out of work at the end of the year - but being paid by the Ticats.

Or he gets JC to be his HC.

others lol???
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I do not see JC being the head coach here. Been out of the loop too long. And cannot see MB coming back here if he fired. Being coach here once enough for him and I do not see WB hiring him again. Not his style to rehire someone he has fired. Most likely WB is back for one more year and will try to fix the mess.

First order of business likely will be releasing Williams after his staff is hired..
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:20 pm
I do not see JC being the head coach here. Been out of the loop too long. And cannot see MB coming back here if he fired. Being coach here once enough for him and I do not see WB hiring him again. Not his style to rehire someone he has fired. Most likely WB is back for one more year and will try to fix the mess.

First order of business likely will be releasing Williams after his staff is hired..
X2 Buono does not have a history of rehiring players and coaches that have been let go for whatever reason.
QB Club 63
All Star

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:04 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:

X2 Buono does not have a history of rehiring players and coaches that have been let go for whatever reason.
You're forgetting he rehired Chap after the Schmoes let him go in 2007. Granted, Wally hadn't fired Chap after the 2006 season, but he did let him go to Alberta.
David
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
....and I do not see WB hiring him again. Not his style to rehire someone he has fired.
TheLionKing wrote: X2 Buono does not have a history of rehiring players and coaches that have been let go for whatever reason.
In addition to what QB Club 63 mentioned above, you're forgetting Dorazio was let go, then went to the Riders and came back here 2 years ago.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
QB Club 63
All Star

I was typing Dorazio's name into that post but I realized his release was more Jeff Tedford's decision than Wally's. Tedford had brought in George Cortez as his OC, and Cortez wanted his own O-line guy, namely Doug Malone.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

You're forgetting he rehired Chap after the Schmoes let him go in 2007. Granted, Wally hadn't fired Chap after the 2006 season, but he did let him go to Alberta.

Bit different, for he let him go to pursue a better opportunity. But Lion King right, Buono just does not have a history of bringing back people he let go, other than Lawrence this year, but after a few games, he cut him again.

After Grep Cup, I think news will start to leak about the Lions and other teams. May even begin on Monday.
Blitz
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:30 am
We should give Montreal a deal. Take all 3 (Washington, Bellefeuille, and Jones), and get a Dan Dorazio for free.

That sounds like a better deal than buy 3 razors and get one free. Now if only Kavis Reed will take it. How about we go for a take all three and get two more for free and throw in Robin Ross too.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

How about just giving it all to them with no compensation ?
SammyGreene
Team Captain

While Lions situation remains in disarray life is good for Jeff Teford. Has led Fresno St to huge turnaround season and their 8th win earned him a $200,000 bonus. Could be one and done as a leading candidate now for a number of big schools. Too bad things went so wrong here.

Although his modern coaching approach with big NCAA bucks behind it compared to old school Wally was never a good mix.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/co ... 03153.html
The_Pauser
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:24 pm
While Lions situation remains in disarray life is good for Jeff Teford. Has led Fresno St to huge turnaround season and their 8th win earned him a $200,000 bonus. Could be one and done as a leading candidate now for a number of big schools. Too bad things went so wrong here.

Although his modern coaching approach with big NCAA bucks behind it compared to old school Wally was never a good mix.

Uh it wasn't because of Wally that Tedford didn't work out here. He literally lost his players before training camp ended. He's a college coach, and treated pro players like they were college players with some of his rules. It was a bad mix.

It's honestly quite annoying seeing some people dump everything on Wally.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:31 pm
Uh it wasn't because of Wally that Tedford didn't work out here. He literally lost his players before training camp ended. He's a college coach, and treated pro players like they were college players with some of his rules. It was a bad mix.
:whs: I'm happy to see Tedford have success at Fresno State (big game Saturday at home to No. 25 Boise State). He is a good college coach who treated pros as college kids, and that was a bad mix. Wally treats pros like men and he holds them accountable when they don't meet his high standards. He can be tough but he is widely respected by his players in B.C., which Tedford wasn't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:24 pm

Thanks for that update, Sammy.

Tedford and Wally were a bad mix.

"Who's in charge here?" Players can tell when there is some doubt.

Sometimes you have to let go.

Ultimately, Benevides failed here, after some good win/loss records in the regular season. Tedford and George Cortez, with all of their experience, could not get it done here.

I too am happy for Jeff Tedford. It's too bad it did not work out for him here. He has vast experience at both pro and college levels. He played for Calgary, Hamilton, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg. He has coached at Calgary, Tampa Bay and B.C. in the pros, and Fresno State, Oregon, California and Washington in college.

I credit Wally for going outside the box a bit in bringing in Tedford, someone new to the organization. And that brought Cortez here too. And Doug Malone. That staff had great potential. But it fizzled. 7-11, same as we got this year.

We are back here again. 7-11. LOL The Good Ship Leo is looking dilapidated. Time to clean house. But it ain't gonna happen, methinks. This CFL fan expects more of the same, that we have been seeing for many a year now.

Just IMO ...

2017-11-23_1912.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wally on the rooftop. The overseer, back in Benny's days as Head Coach. With Tedford as Head Coach, Wally was on the practice field.

Paying attention to details? Absolutely.

Letting go? Not so much.

We will see where this organization goes. I think the odds favour not much change for 2018.

2003-2017. 15 years. Time flies. And sometimes it seems to stand s t i l l .

''Deja vu all over again,'' as Yogi Berra would say. :wink:

Just IMO ...

8733506.jpg
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.