Lions free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

OV - 54:40
Champion

Ricky Collins really impressed me as a Rider in 2016 - hands and could get deep; i was very surprised they let him go (and when they're playing a mediocre like B. Grant); Collins ends up in Hamilton and does not make it there? - but they have 5 former CFL thousand yard receivers going into TC (if Tasker returns - heard he was getting an NFL look?) - any CFL team ever had that in a receiving corps for TC before ?

Collins is a potential great signing IMO - and could maybe combine with Manny & Burnham in the top 3 ?
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:44 pm
Ricky Collins really impressed me as a Rider in 2016 - hands and could get deep; i was very surprised they let him go (and when they're playing a mediocre like B. Grant); Collins ends up in Hamilton and does not make it there? - but they have 5 former CFL thousand yard receivers going into TC (if Tasker returns - heard he was getting an NFL look?) - any CFL team ever had that in a receiving corps for TC before ?

Collins is a potential great signing IMO - and could maybe combine with Manny & Burnham in the top 3 ?
Yup, I recall him getting my attention as well, OV. He had some excitement about him -- his style and his motor. Maybe a bit of a limited sample size to know for sure but, yeah, I too was pretty excited to see him here. Top 3 -- not just on the Leos roster but in the league! (heh heh) Dream big and wild! Why not. Ricky don't lose that number!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:35 pm
OV - 54:40 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:44 pm

Yup, I recall him getting my attention as well, OV. He had some excitement about him -- his style and his motor. Maybe a bit of a limited sample size to know for sure but, yeah, I too was pretty excited to see him here. Top 3 -- not just on the Leos roster but in the league! (heh heh) Dream big and wild! Why not. Ricky don't lose that number!
The Lions are desperately thin at receiver without Marco Iannuzzi, Chris Williams and Nick Moore. Unless they plan to move Chris Rainey or Tyler Davis from backup running back to receiver (where they’ve both shown playmaking ability), Collins should automatically move to the top of the depth chart as the third international starter.
David
Team Captain

Wow. I just noticed that we have 12 O-linemen on the roster. :shock: This even without Fabian, Jones, and Dhillon who weren't retained. We also have 6 quarterbacks. :shock:

Of course, some of these guys won't make it past the OTAs to the main camp in Kamloops, but an interesting development nonetheless.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

David wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:40 pm
Wow. I just noticed that we have 12 O-linemen on the roster. :shock: This even without Fabian, Jones, and Dhillon who weren't retained. We also have 6 quarterbacks. :shock:

Of course, some of these guys won't make it past the OTAs to the main camp in Kamloops, but an interesting development nonetheless.

I'll pretty sure Dhillon will be back. Although still a UFA, he's on the community stops they are doing in the offseason. Something hasn't been announced but probably has been agreed too.
not that its material b/c he's our 8th/9th OL on depth chart.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:40 pm

12 OL would be about normal for this time of year. They typically have 14 or 15 at camp. No doubt there will be a change or two to the existing list most likely amongst the INTs depending on what they see in their FA camps.The current NAT content is unlikely to change but 2, maybe 3 NATS will be added in the draft. As for QBs I wouldn't bet on Gale still being around for main camp. It will still be up to where Lulay is in his recovery as they get closer to main camp. If it looks like he's still 2 months away from practicing then yes I can see Gale and Fajardo being at camp. But if it looks like Lulay will be ready to go late in camp or in the first 2 or 3 weeks of the season then I think one has to be jettisoned.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Edmonton has signed DB Buddy Jackson. I was impressed with him last year in training camp. He has size, experience and leadership ability. He was pencilled in as a starter initially but he lost that role when Anthony Gaitor returned from the NFL, and became nothing but a depth player behind Gaitor and Loucheiz Purifoy, both of whom played terribly for most of the season and are now gone.
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:01 am
Edmonton has signed DB Buddy Jackson. I was impressed with him last year in training camp. He has size, experience and leadership ability. He was pencilled in as a starter initially but he lost that role when Anthony Gaitor returned from the NFL, and became nothing but a depth player behind Gaitor and Loucheiz Purifoy, both of whom played terribly for most of the season and are now gone.
He worked hard on the teams; showed good hustle when inserted into the line up. He was one of the first, if not the first guy downfield on punt coverage.

I am keeping my fingers crossed about the secondary. Maybe I am being a worry wart but I wonder if the team has traded one type of unbalanced defense for another.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Shaquille Murray-Lawrence and Quinn Van Gylswyk signs with Alouettes.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/a ... -lawrence/
David
Team Captain

Lions have signed DB Winston Rose HERE who played 4 games with the Redblacks last year.

Don't see this as anything more than a depth signing (almost a Buddy Jackson type?), although 21 tackles in 4 games is pretty impressive.

UPDATE: Rose signing is among 4 new DB free agent signings for camp HERE.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:38 pm
Lions have signed DB Winston Rose HERE who played 4 games with the Redblacks last year.

Don't see this as anything more than a depth signing (almost a Buddy Jackson type?), although 21 tackles in 4 games is pretty impressive.

UPDATE: Rose signing is among 4 new DB free agent signings for camp HERE.

I remember Rose from the RedBlacks last year and he had his struggles. Yes he did have good tackle numbers but I think he was kept busy by the opposition consistently targeting him.

I distinctly recall wondering if he was signed by Ottawa simply based on his being potentially related to the better DB Jonathon Rose. So unless he acquits himself better, I hope Hervey has a number of DBs ready to sign.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

At least the latest signings have size. (all 6'0")
CardiacKid
Legend

The Lions have signed 3 more potential members of the defensive line.

https://www.bclions.com/2018/03/13/lion ... sive-line/

After the Euclid Cummings debacle, I expect Hervey will be paying a little more attention to signing DLinemen than what he was anticipating right after the intial FA window.

McLennan played with the Als last year and I recall his name getting mentioned in a positive light during TSN broadcasts. Pittman comes the closest to an interior guy in terms of physique at 6'3" and 270.

Hopefully we will get a few more receivers and dbs signed over the next few weeks.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

They may draft a DL if any good ones available at #3 pick.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:41 pm
They may draft a DL if any good ones available at #3 pick.
It's slim pickings for DL this year if rankings mean anything and you're looking for someone to contribute immediately. It's another typical CFL draft class it appears with 10 of the 20 players ranked in December's top 20 being offensive linemen including the top 4. There are only 2 DL ranked in December's top 20.

December rankings have Julien Laurent ranked #5. He is a NT type at 6'4 295 per his Georgia State bio. Draft Scout ranks 106 DTs then about 50 more in a group outside the 106. He's in the latter group. Carlton's Kene Onyeka who dropped from 8 in September to 14 in December is the other DL ranked in the top 20. He is not interior lineman material listing 6'3 240. Jonathan Boissoneault-Glaou of Montreal had been ranked #18 in September but fell out of the rankings in December.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.