Lions free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Too bad with Awe, certainly some odd circumstances involved. If it was Rigmaiden, he wasn’t in a position to make that kind of assurance to Awe was he? But props to Hervey for honouring what was apparently on the books with Awe.

Very good news with Steward and Forde returning. Slowly but surely Hervey is getting the established key players back along with the guys who would seem to have definite upside. Plus I am glad to see our Canadian talent isn’t being allowed to leave for elsewhere.

Now if we can Ronnie Yell back asap...add Lulay and Fenner to that list too.
green road kill
Rookie

Got to love this, that's 6 of oh top Nats signed. Guys that would have
no problem signing with other teams. Great start to the off season.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Now that Hunter Steward (yeah!) is officially signed https://www.bclions.com/2018/02/01/bc-l ... ward-2018/ this leaves three for the defense -- Fenner, Yell, and Purifoy, and on offense Lulay, on my personal wishlist. Things are coming together.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:43 pm
Now that Hunter Steward (yeah!) is officially signed https://www.bclions.com/2018/02/01/bc-l ... ward-2018/ this leaves three for the defense -- Fenner, Yell, and Purifoy, and on offense Lulay, on my personal wishlist. Things are coming together.
Exactly my thinking too. Still 13 names on the pending list including Lulay who is a special case. Unlikely to be signed before free agency but unlikely to go anywhere. I figure Jones, Dhillon, Bryant, Clarke and Jackson are not on Hervey's shopping list. That cuts it down to 7 names. I put the 3 you mentioned in the top priority list and Bazzie, Moore, Roh and Fabien on somewhat of a bubble list as guys Hervey might be lukewarm to and not overly concerned about retaining.
Last edited by Hambone on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

I wouldn't break the bank on Craig Roh, but I would definitely bring him back to camp.

7 sacks last year (I seem to recall he had he a couple negated by penalties too). That total (7) was only one behind Odell Willis and Willie Jefferson. He only just turned 27 as well.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:35 pm
I wouldn't break the bank on Craig Roh, but I would definitely bring him back to camp.

7 sacks last year (I seem to recall he had he a couple negated by penalties too). That total (7) was only one behind Odell Willis and Willie Jefferson. He only just turned 27 as well.

I like Roh over Bazzie and now that the Lions have acquired Willis it would seem unlikely that they can afford to keep all 3 of them.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Eskimos have released Adarius Bowman, who was reportedly due a $140,000 roster bonus this month. Does Ed Hervey take a stab at him in free agency to replace Nick Moore or as a fourth international WR? Montreal is another potential landing spot, where he would be reunited with Kavis Reed.

Bowman doesn't have the best hands in the league but he gets open in the intermediate and deep zones where Jonathon Jennings likes to attack.

Edmonton Eskimos release fan favourite Adarius Bowman
Qman
Champion

DanoT wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:58 pm
David wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:35 pm

I like Roh over Bazzie and now that the Lions have acquired Willis it would seem unlikely that they can afford to keep all 3 of them.
Now Willis is starter at 150k ... don't see Bazzie back unless they cut evans and bazzie comes back as a super cheap backup .. thats not happening. In fact, they probably cut evans at camp and go with rookie making close the the minimum. Thats just what the cap makes teams do.

roh - don't see it as Knapton & Menard play his position
Last edited by Qman on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qman
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:22 am
The Eskimos have released Adarius Bowman, who was reportedly due a $140,000 roster bonus this month. Does Ed Hervey take a stab at him in free agency to replace Nick Moore or as a fourth international WR? Montreal is another potential landing spot, where he would be reunited with Kavis Reed.

Bowman doesn't have the best hands in the league but he gets open in the intermediate and deep zones where Jonathon Jennings likes to attack.

was he the highest paid SB in the league because of himself or Reilly? Every receiver they plug in their gets 1000yds. I'd be very hesitant to sign any Edmonton receiver and expect the same production. its all mike reilly.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:38 pm
Lion Guy wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:15 pm
squishy35 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:45 pm
Micha Awe released today to allow him to pursue an NFL opportunity.
Don't like this. Maybe they have their sights on Konar in FA?
Hervey told Steve Ewen he was reluctantly following through with a commitment to Awe that was made by "someone who is no longer with the organization."
Just after anniversary of Bighill departure, Lions lose linebacker Micah Awe to NFL
The new Commissioner is unhappy with these moves by teams like BC but in my view the BC Lions have been always consistent during the Wally era.

Wally while GM and HC had a high tolerance for players speaking out reasonably (like his now OC Jarius when he was BC QB) but what Wally has been totally consistent on is a player has to want to be in BC. These guys with NFL lusting in their hearts have been let go by BC in the hopes they'll return back to BC if they fail to catch on down there. Seems good to me.

The Commissioner should look at players cut before roster bonuses are due in the off season lol... Durant, now Adarius Bowman - Shades of Jason Clermont some years back.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:32 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:22 am

was he the highest paid SB in the league because of himself or Reilly? Every receiver they plug in their gets 1000yds. I'd be very hesitant to sign any Edmonton receiver and expect the same production. its all mike reilly.
I suspect this might a player he'd like in BC as he surely won't owe any bonuses. Depends I guess on need (BC) and greed (player).
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnnyMusso
Champion

On CFL news, there are speculating on 3 teams Bowman may end up.

1) Winnipeg
2) BC
3) Montreal

Montreal could pay him the most, but they have no QB and likely will finish dead last. I think Hervey will go after him, but they really need to sign 1 or 2 OL in free agency. That is their greatest need.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:20 pm

1) Winnipeg
2) BC
3) Montreal

Montreal could pay him the most, but they have no QB and likely will finish dead last. I think Hervey will go after him, but they really need to sign 1 or 2 OL in free agency. That is their greatest need.
BC and Bowman don't seem like a good fit. Bowman's numbers took a tumble last year after missing 1/3 of the season. In the 3 previous seasons he finished 1st (2016), 2nd (2015) and 1st (2013) in receiving yardage. In 2012 he missed half the season and still put up 697 yards, a 1400 yard pace. He will be looking for a situation where somebody wants to make him one of their go-to starting slotbacks and are willing to pay him accordingly. I'm not seeing BC pushing Arceneaux or Burnham into Nick Moore's role just yet.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:

1) Winnipeg
2) BC
3) Montreal

I hope we don’t see a trend of former Esks being consistently touted as finding homes in BC because of Hervey’s presence. Not that I believe former Eskimos entering the market are any less capable than players set adrift from other teams but other criteria as to what the Leo’s really require has to be the priority.

Plus does Hervey really covet Bowman? He seems like a GM who is willing to look farther afield than his old stomping grounds when it comes to filling out a roster. Just a hunch....

Plus finding that previously unknown gem of a player can be pretty exciting.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
I don't see any offensive linemen on the CFL free-agent list who would be an upgrade on what the Lions had last year. Unless they trade for a proven starter, the Lions' best hope to upgrade the O-line is to sign Bruce Boyko or an American lineman who has exhausted his NFL practice roster eligibility.