Luther Maddy looks to make his debut

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I've been intrigued by Luther Maddy as a sparkplug defensive tackle ever since his signing was announced. He showed flashes at training camp before he was sidelined by an injury and has spent most of the season on the practice roster. According to a Matt Baker article at bclions.com, Maddy might get his first chance to show his stuff in a game on Saturday in Winnipeg.
After an injury-plagued first training camp and several weeks of learning his CFL craft on the practice roster, Luther Maddy is itching to show what he can do in game action.

The hulking defensive tackle out of Virginia Tech has been getting some extra looks in practice and could be one of the newcomers making his professional debut for Saturday’s final regular season game against the Blue Bombers.

“I feel the same way now as I did in training camp; just real grateful to be here,” said Maddy.

“I wasn’t playing any ball last year because of my injury (torn pectoral), so I have been blessed be out here with these guys competing and getting better every day.”
Maddy was thrilled to come north and learn from another legend in Wally Buono. He feels that experience with the CFL all-time wins leader has definitely come as advertised.

“It’s just crazy; when you go into the meetings Coach Wally is in the back and he’ll stop the film and give us pointers; the defensive line, the defensive backs, the linebackers and even today with Ty Long and how he was kicking. I just find that amazing. He knows so much about the game and I don’t take that for granted. I try to pick his brain whenever I can and listen to what he says during meetings”, explained Maddy.

Buono has spoken highly about some of the younger talent on his roster and feels Maddy reminds him of one the best defensive linemen in the entire league.

Physically, he’s a lot like (the Eskimos’ Almondo) Sewell,” claimed Buono.

“Quick, stout and strong. At training camp he was active, physical and disruptive.

“When it comes to those injured rookies, you heal then, treat them and put them on the practice roster. Now he’s going to be getting an opportunity. The other thing that hurt him as when we changed the ratio. People forget that.”

The ratio change Buono speaks of was using Nationals Maxx Forde and now Junior Luke in a rotation on the interior. Now another International must come off the roster for Maddy to dress.
MADDY READY TO PLAY FOR REAL

Maddy is listed at 6'2 and 285 pounds, which makes him the second biggest defensive lineman in camp, after Mic'hael Brooks (6-3, 295). His size could give him a chance to collapse the pocket and get penetration. I plan to watch closely.

Here are Maddy's 2015 highlights from Virginia Tech:

Maddy was invited to the NFL Combine last year but was unable to compete in any field drills as he recovered from a left knee injury. He went undrafted and was later invited to minicamp in New Orleans. Here's what NFL scouts said about him in his draft year:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555286
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

High praise indeed comparing him to Almondo Sewell.
Blitz
Team Captain

It will be good to see how Maddy plays.

Hunter Steward will not play. He has a sprained ankle and he has been our best offensive lineman this season.

These are not happy days as this excerpt from the Vancouver Province illustrates.
With little on the line, some players are admitting they could have done more to avoid a season which is ending with shoving matches between players on the sidelines and harsh words by coaches to each other during games.

Buono said last week he may have taken a playoff spot for granted and wondered if his players might have done the same thing.

Vancouver Province
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Physically, he’s a lot like (the Eskimos’ Almondo) Sewell,” claimed Buono.

“Quick, stout and strong. At training camp he was active, physical and disruptive.

“When it comes to those injured rookies, you heal then, treat them and put them on the practice roster. Now he’s going to be getting an opportunity. The other thing that hurt him as when we changed the ratio. People forget that.”
The other thing that hurt him as when we changed the ratio. People forget that.”
Translation? So Maddy was healthy for a while now? And if we had not gone with the Nationals, Maddy would have been suited up? Well if the staff believes Maddy should be playing, play him. Adjust the ratio another way. It seems to this CFL fan the ratio, as lenient as it is these days, presents very little in the way of problems to teams. Maybe one of those Int Defensive Ends should have been sitting out. Maybe Brooks should have been sitting out.

It sounds like Wally is acknowledging the International D Line players have not been good enough.

Agreed.

And Maddy is saying all the right things about his Head Coach, who sits in the back, stops the film and makes pointers. Mark Washington's defensive meeting?
“It’s just crazy; when you go into the meetings Coach Wally is in the back and he’ll stop the film and give us pointers; the defensive line, the defensive backs, the linebackers and even today with Ty Long and how he was kicking. I just find that amazing. He knows so much about the game and I don’t take that for granted. I try to pick his brain whenever I can and listen to what he says during meetings”, explained Maddy.
We are 6 and 10. But we will watch Luther Maddy with interest. It would be very nice if he is a DL who can collapse the pocket.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.