Marco Iannuzzi to retire at the end of this season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

Just announced on his Facebook page, these final 3 games of the 2017 season will be Marco's last as a football player.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Iannuzzi has been a great ambassador for the team, supporting charities and promoting the Lions throughout the community. I wish him well in his post-football career.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:35 pm
Iannuzzi has been a great ambassador for the team, supporting charities and promoting the Lions throughout the community. I wish him well in his post-football career.
The team is going to miss his leadership and tireless work in the community on behalf of the club. Arguably the most fan-friendly player on the team.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Points well made, Guys.

Very friendly. Great with all the fans, especially those with challenges. I saw it once again at practice a couple of weeks ago.

Best wishes in all your pursuits, Marco.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
aklawitter
All Star

I hope the new regime can find some use for Ianuzzi within the organization.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

aklawitter wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:41 pm
I hope the new regime can find some use for Ianuzzi within the organization.
He never made as much of an impact on the field as was expected, but he's been a terrific ambassador for the team in the community and reportedly a leader in the locker room. Possibly a future GM somewhere down the road?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Iannuzzi is a Harvard-educated investment adviser with RBC. He can make a lot more money in that field than in a football-related job.
QB Club 63
All Star

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:03 pm
Iannuzzi is a Harvard-educated investment adviser with RBC. He can make a lot more money in that field than in a football-related job.
With those qualifications he might be on the short list whenever it is that Randy Ambrosie decides to step down as Commissioner! :tease:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

QB Club 63 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:18 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:03 pm
With those qualifications he might be on the short list whenever it is that Randy Ambrosie decides to step down as Commissioner! :tease:
How about team president under new ownership?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

It's too bad that he has to go out under these circumstances. He has been a real trooper over the years.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A very underrated player in my opinion.
#52Fan
prospect

Marco is a great player and he must be smart if he got into Harvard, so he would make a better President of the US than the Great Trumpkin, but the Lions need a President who has front office experience, understands the game, knows how to make the big deals and can rally the community and it’s leaders. Bob Ackles set the bar high and I believe he taught Scott (Son of Bob) how to do the same. That’s probably why the Stamps made him President. He’s worked NFL, XFL, CFL and he chairs the BC Football Hall of Fame. He might even be over-qualified. I suspect, if Marco wants to stay in football, he’d be great in the front office, but as we’ve seen south of the border, a president without experience can be a disaster. Director of Player Personnel would be a great place for Marco to get his ‘executive’ feet wet. With a Harvard education and his community spirit, whatever he does he’s going to be successful. Thanks Marco for many years of great entertainment.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:57 pm
A very underrated player in my opinion.
Sometimes, when I don't have anything nice to say, I'm best suited saying nothing, so let me suggest politely that I take the opposite opinion and leave it at that.

Wait, just thought of something. He was more useful as a receiver than Dean Valli was as an offensive linemen. That's a positive, right?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Iannuzzi is far more valuable to the franchise for his off-field contributions than his on-field play but that's partly because he has been underutilized. The B.C. offence, especially with Jonathon Jennings at the controls, is heavily dependent on the two inside slots (Manny Arceneaux and Bryan Burnham) and the running backs. As outside receivers, Iannuzzi, Shaq Johnson, Chris Williams and Nick Moore are targeted less often by Jennings, and thus don't have the same receiving yardage.

Despite his relative lack of targets, Iannuzzi's catch rate of 70.8% (34 catches on 48 targets) is the highest on the team, excluding running backs. Here are the stats:

Iannuzzi 34/48, 70.8%
Arceneaux 88/127, 69.3%
Moore 31/45, 68.9%
Burnham 65/103, 63.1%
S.Johnson 28/45 62.2%
Williams 38/66, 57.6%

Iannuzzi's two biggest games this season were with Lulay at quarterback. He had 4 catches for 88 yards on July 15 in Hamilton and 6 catches for 68 yards on July 21 against Winnipeg. That's one of many examples of why Lulay was a much more effective quarterback this year than Jennings.
David
Team Captain

Very under-rated returner, IMO. Gets up field in a hurry and has good wheels. Was a stand-out at Harvard. Never thought we adequately used his punt returning skills.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar