Leos vs Bombers, GDT

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:32 pm
Lion Guy wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:20 pm
ZLions wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:05 pm
Sorry but Jennings sucks. Offense got severely outplayed in this one.
No he doesn't. His O coordinator does. Jo es has no idea how to handle a young QB coming off an injury. Completely stunned.
Yes he does suck this year. Stop making excuses for players poor performances. Has Jones been poor with his play calling? Yes. Has our O-Line been awful? Absolutely. But Jennings has also looked very poor this year, making poor throws, telegraphing some of his throws, and making several poor reads. At this point I would say we should move on from him in the offseason. He's not worth the $300k that he's due next season.
Trade him back to Regina for Kevin Glenn :wink:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:22 pm
The_Pauser wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:11 pm
Wally is a legend, and was a major reason why this team turned things around after the disaster that was the late 90's. His teams were always contenders, and our long playoff streak is a testament to his abilities as a coach. He's also shown a knack for releasing players just before their best before dates. Sometimes this has created controversy, but rarely has he ever come out of it looking wrong.

Perhaps his biggest flaw was not recognizing his own best before date?
Good point. I think you're right.
He might be past his best before date as a HC as he's mired in beliefs that it's all about execution yet two things have happened:

1. Teams have pads at the benches and even after a TD the QB is studying what happened and of course after failures. This means that a predictable set of schemes on all sides of the ball including STs is not going to be overcome by execution alone.

2. Teams are innovating and it's no longer the bad teams with the trick plays but Wally clings to the belief it's only the bad doing it.

But his real failure is in developing future HC's out of his assistants.

He exited from the HC and hired two poor choices for HC both who failed. That was a failure as a GM.

Now he's got himself assistants who aren't doing their jobs - STs suck, OFF is in a funk and the DEF has struggled significantly.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:15 pm

He exited from the HC and hired two poor choices for HC both who failed. That was a failure as a GM.

Now he's got himself assistants who aren't doing their jobs - STs suck, OFF is in a funk and the DEF has struggled significantly.
I would be surprised if any of them will be fired in the off season. Unfortunately for long suffering Lion fans........
maxlion
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:15 pm

I wouldn't call Benevides a failure, more of a disappointment. His record as a HC was a very respectable 33-21, but his playoff record a disappointing 0-3.

I had higher hopes for Tedford, still wonder what might have happened if he had been given another year.

I am not sure that Buono is any more loyal to his fellow coaches than he is to his players. Just in recent years, he fired Stubler, Chapdelaine, Benevides and Tedford, didn't retain Cortez or McMann, and let Dorazio go to Saskatchewan.

I would be very surprised to see Buono return in 2018. I would be shocked to see him return with the same assistant coaches.