CFL Games of Week 16, October 6 - 9

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

What the ****? Loffler wonders, what is going on?

Pooch kick by Masoli. Very nice. Banks is onside.

2017-10-07_0527.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Banks is off to the races. He makes the onside recovery.

Full credit to Jones and his staff, for the detailed game preparation against tendencies and vulnerabilities of the opponent.

2017-10-07_0529.png

As Toppy notes, the players love this kind of thing. As do the fans. It makes the game fun.

2017-10-07_0529_001.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

What is coming on this play?

DBs fully occupied.

2017-10-07_0541.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Uh oh. Attacking the defensive end and the middle linebacker, specifically.

2017-10-07_0543.png

Beautiful block on the DE. The MLB gets caught up in the middle. Masoli holds the MLB just enough by faking left.

2017-10-07_0546.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Once again, beautifully conceived play. Great blocking. That big Cat, Alex Green, can move. Huge gainer on the ground. Gotta luv the way the Cats are playing, especially after their abysmal start.

Same players. Different results on the field. Full credit to June Jones.

2017-10-07_0548.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

That's gotta feel pretty good. Yup.

Jones is not jumping up and down. He is not tripping over a headphone cord. He is calmly thinking about some aspect of the game. And then he lifts his head up and looks for O'Shea.

What weapons do the TiCats have? Banks. Masoli. Tasker. Et cetera. Loads of talent on all the teams. Jones is finding ways to use the talent on his roster. He obviously knows his way around a playbook.

Bringing in Green was an inspired move, it would seem.

2017-10-07_0553.png

don corleone
Starter

Really enjoy the insight and breakdown of the video. Thanks for taking the time.
Are you cc'ing Khari ?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:54 am
KnowItAll wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:54 pm
leo4life wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:32 pm
....coaching does make huge difference
so does losing your starring QB
Criticize Wally but at least he knows about having two quarterbacks.
Walters and O Shea overpaid Nichols and hoped for the best. Luckily again for the Bombers the injury did not look serious.
Could get interesting yet.
Wally has typically 3 and back when there Jarius Jackson (injured and pretty much done for the year in the first play in Regina preseason) as he never got back the Lions also had:
Dave Dickensen, Casey Printers, and Buck Pierce. In that 1st preseason Buck went in late in Reginan and won the game for BC - such that Wally had to keep him.

Wally is unique in reps for all 3 QBs even now. Saw a practice where Jennings was not ready but Lulay was starting and Lulay and Jennings were running routes and passing to each others all the way down the field and back - serious running.

Meanwhile the 3rd QB was running the first team offense!

What I think is missing for the third string guy here is the QB coach they had in Stef Kruck who when I took in practices was constantly working with a QB if injured as well as running plays. Now it seems Lulay is the coach of QBs.

The Bombers had to rid themselves of Drew Willy and to date, I'd say they selected well with Matt Nichols. Now they need to develop a back up and that guy looks pretty good. Lefevour might not be seen as the future but this other guy seems to look promising.

Nichols likely wasn't badly hurt but I thought it was preventable by using Harris. On the other hand, overusing Harris could be like overusing Messam like the Stamps and then Messam ends up missing a game. Long haul the Bombers need a healthy Harris so maybe that factored in just 4 touches for Harris in the first half. There were a few games this year that I felt the Stamps were running Messam too much (after it was a game they had nailed down pretty much).

Not sure how O'Shea runs the QBs but Buck Pierce certainly knows the value of a back up.

WCJ: Nice look at those "trick" plays or whatever u call them.

I think the Lions HC needs to get with the others. Tedford was a poor HC but one play he used was the pass to QB Jennings (not a huge fan of that if the starter gets rocked but it was a special looking play).

PUNTING -

I think a tactic that should be used more is having someone onside as that would force the opponents hand to cover kicks with two returners. Speedy someone like a Chris Williams or Rainey.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:47 am
Really enjoy the insight and breakdown of the video. Thanks for taking the time.
Are you cc'ing Khari ?
Ha ha. I would not presume to do so, but I have looked at lots of tape over the years. Our guys work hard.

Thank you. I enjoy looking at the plays, and I have some time.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:11 pm
WCJ: Nice look at those "trick" plays or whatever u call them.
Thanks, Toppy.

Trick plays? There is deception. Mostly what I see is good detailed planning, to attack vulnerabilities spotted on the film.

Re Nichols and the Bombers, I think Buck Pierce deserves credit also for his work with the QB.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Winnipeg must be a bad team to be trying trick plays according to the self professed Legend. You will never see the Lions try a trick play
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Argos leading the Riders 16-10 in the 3rd quarter.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I am wondering when contacting the kicker becomes roughing the kicker because it sure seemed like it should have been roughing against sask in the first half.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Edmonton ended their 3 game slide by defeating Montreal Alouettes 42-24. The Als loss eliminate them from the playoffs. Kavis Reed has been winless since replacing Jacques Chapdelaine as coach.