Stampeders 27 - Lions 13, Post-Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The cut blocks miss. The DL keep their feet. Jail break.

It is similar in tackling. If you leave your feet and miss, the runner is home free. Of course, sometimes a diving tackle is a last resort. Best to keep your feet, and drive through the man. Easier said than done at times.

Jennings gets wrapped up. One of 17 hits he took.

2017-09-17_1726 003.png
2017-09-17_1727 004.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:16 pm
leo4life wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:24 pm
Long time season ticket holder here.Will not renew if Bouno and same staff return next season.Time to get some fresh faces and ideas back in the den.
Buono will be retiring at the end of the season. He won't be back as coach or GM.
But will he back as VP Football Operations? And whomever is named GM IF Wally completely divests himself of all titles, should be able to bring in his own man. To anoint the HC before a GM seems a little too much like heading someone off at the pass.

If the team is going to transition to a new owner for next year, IMO the positions need to be filled at the top first and then on down.

IMO Rick Campbell as GM and HC would be worth a ponder. Young, forward-thinking, not flashy but solid, seems to work quite well with his staff. We talk a lot on the forum about how a team like Calgary out-coaches the Lions year in, year out. I think we saw Campbell and his staff out coach the Stamps in last year's Grey Cup.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The Stamps line up 3 at the LOS. Mixing up the look, the alignments. Two more join the attack, including Singleton.

2017-09-17_1749.png
2017-09-17_1752_001.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Same play.

Vaughters beats Foucault.

Jennings takes another hit.

2017-09-17_1753.png
2017-09-17_1753_001.png
2017-09-17_1754.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

"Gaitor flat out guesses, tries to jump the route," says Suitor. Touchdown.

More later. Will get some highlights for us.

2017-09-17_1809.png
2017-09-17_1805.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jennings rolls out, buys some time. Finds Burnham in a hole in the zone. Makes a very nice running pass, under pressure.

2017-09-17_1814.png
2017-09-17_1815_001.png

VictoriaFan
Starter

The good- Ty Long for a rookie gets it done fairly consistently, The Bad- too many to list, The Ugly- Awe tackling with his helmet at least 3 times, Solly teach this guy how to tackle, that could have been 45 yards if they had of thrown a flag like they should have
Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:01 pm
First pass play after some successful running plays. Evans jumps the route. Not only is Burnham covered, when the pass arrives, but two other Stampeders are well prepared and close on the play extremely quickly.

2017-09-17_0105.png
The play looks like a rerun of the West Final of 2005, when the Eskimos defence was calling out our plays before we ran them.

You're correct WCJ. An outstanding quarterback, playing at his very best, executing with a very high level of precision, skill, and intelligence can move the football and score touchdowns, even with our poor offensive line play, predictable scheme, and lack of touch in play calling.

But the question is for how long can a Leos quarterback do that before the hits, sacks, pressure, injuries, and pressure take their toll. Travis Lulay did that for four games this season and even his fine play was not enough to beat Edmonton earlier this season. Jennings played at a very high caliber in 2016. Printers did that in 2004. Buck Pierce did the same in 2008. Lulay in the second half of 2011 and a chunk of 2012. But its very difficult to sustain and in fact, I believe its impossible to sustain.

Travis came into this season healthy, not only physically but mentally healthy. He hadn't started in a long period of time. He had gained a lot from his experience both 'coaching and mentoring' while also practicing. In other words he was fresh, as was Jennings last season.

He also got hurt, as did Dickenson, Printers, Pierce, Jackson, before him. Jennings got hurt in the first game of the season when he took a hell of a hit. Yes, quarterbacks get hurt on other teams too but the games our quarterbacks have missed due to injury in the Buono era is very high.

They are either hurt in the pocket or they are hurt running with the football. Its imperative that our quarterbacks are mobile. There is no place for a Bo Levi style of quarterback here in B.C. Even Dickenson had to use his legs to pull out the 2006 Grey Cup victory.

To move the football against good defenses, our quarterbacks have to have it all...the ability to make quick reads, to make quick decisions, to escape the pocket, to stand in there and be hit time and again to complete a pass, and to constantly make plays. In other words, they need both a very high level of skill, talent, and precision, they need to be incredibly tough, physically, mentally, and emotionally, and they also need to pull a rabbit out of their hats and often.

The 2011 Grey Cup season was an anomaly....a magical season that began 1-7 before we got on a roll and then confidence and momentum took over. But that season both obscured our problems and it also made too many fans forget the 2009 and 2019 seasons and the issues went with those seasons. In fact those issues were there between 2003-2007 but we were so talented in those seasons that, other than the playoff losses, those issues were not prominent.

There were some fans who thought that all we needed was Buono back on the sidelines and all would be great again, just like 2011. They didn't consider that perhaps not all would be right again, like 2009 and 2010.

We won four more games last season under Buono, mostly by defeating teams from the East on the road, something we didn't do the season before as we went though 3 different quarterbacks and brought in a lot of youth.

For those who thought we would take another step up this season, didn't consider that we would regress. We have. If we were attempting to do something differently, on offence or defence, it would provide some hope.

But that hasn't happened. It didn't happen during the bye week, when the opportunity to do so was there. We made some changes in the bye week in 2011. But this time the rigidity has remained. Its a form of arrogance, a belief that everything drawn on paper is best and all we need is for our players to execute it or to put a different player in that position.

If we want to save this season, it will take more than that. It will take some imagination and unfortunately, imagination is not a strength of our leadership.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Flexible defence. 3 men at the LOS. Is that all they bring? No. Who? And when? And where? The O does not really know.

Tight coverage by the left corner. Looser coverage on the defensive right side.

2017-09-18_2041.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

One LB picks up the running back. Singleton focused on JJ10. Now 8 men in coverage on 6 receivers.

2017-09-18_2043.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Pressure coming. Two DL already very close to Jennings. And now Singleton is on the hunt. Will he get picked up? Steward watching the backside, as instructed. No one there. Fabien not quick enough to get over to Singleton.

2017-09-18_2046.png

Burnham is trying to help, possibly improvising, seemingly available for a checkdown pass. Burnham might not be open anyway. Cannot tell from this film clip. He is not moving, pretty much standing there. Not prepped, or just JJ deer in the headlights?

2017-09-18_2048.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Now the pressure is right there. Foucault's man is reaching for Jennings. Johnson's man is almost near enough to lunge. Singleton has the angle. Steward is no doubt doing as instructed. But there is no one attacking from there.

2017-09-18_2050.png
It's over. Singleton moves very fast. He makes great reads. This fan does not like his showboat style, but he can definitely play. He is a National. Bonus.

2017-09-18_2055.png
Nice clean wrapup tackle.

2017-09-18_2055_001.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Mixing up the looks. 6 men at the LOS. 5 on the pass rush.

2017-09-18_2112.png
We are ready. Quick pass to Iannuzzi. It had to be quick. Two Stampeders are right there on Jennings.

2017-09-18_2115.png

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Thanks for the breakdowns, WCJ. I had intended to go through the PVR and try to get a sense of what type of pressure the Stamps were bringing and why Jennings was having trouble dealing with it, but I just haven't yet brought myself to watch the game again. A positive sign is that the Stamps had four sacks in the first half but none in the second half. The Lions checked down to Rainey and Jennings threw the ball away three times when pressured, which he should have done earlier in the game.

Jennings' puzzling regression was a topic of discussion Monday night on 3 Down Radio with LU, Farhan Lalji, Giulio Caravatta and Milt Stegall. I gather Wally was interviewed on the same topic earlier but I missed it. The consensus seems to be that the Lions need to simplify the game for Jennings to take away some of the thinking he has to do on the read-option and on passing routes. It was suggested the Lions give him some quick hitters, screens and other high-percentage passes early in the game this week to build his confidence. He is clearly struggling with the mental aspect of the game.

I agree in principle with trying to simplify the game for Jennings but I thought the Lions did that in Calgary and it backfired. They ran the ball successfully on the first three plays, but when Jennings tried to hit a short curl to Burnham on the fourth play, the Stamps were all over it and picked it off. Jennings never recovered. On the next series, the Lions faked a handoff to Johnson and screened to Rainey, who was pulled down for a 1-yard gain. On second down, the O-line cut-blocked for Jennings to throw a quick hitter but he was gun shy and pulled the ball down, holding it in the pocket and taking a sack. Cut blocks can be a great way to open passing lanes for a quick hitter but QBs are usually taught that if the receiver play isn't there, throw the ball away because they're not going to get time to find a secondary receiver. Ricky Ray made the same mistake in the earlier game Saturday and was strip-sacked to set up Edmonton's opening touchdown. But Ray overcame his mistake and played a good game. Jennings didn't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:19 pm
Thanks for the breakdowns, WCJ. I had intended to go through the PVR and try to get a sense of what type of pressure the Stamps were bringing and why Jennings was having trouble dealing with it, but I just haven't yet brought myself to watch the game again. A positive sign is that the Stamps had four sacks in the first half but none in the second half. The Lions checked down to Rainey and Jennings threw the ball away three times when pressured, which he should have done earlier in the game.

Jennings' puzzling regression was a topic of discussion Monday night on 3 Down Radio with LU, Farhan Lalji, Giulio Caravatta and Milt Stegall. I gather Wally was interviewed on the same topic earlier but I missed it. The consensus seems to be that the Lions need to simplify the game for Jennings to take away some of the thinking he has to do on the read-option and on passing routes. It was suggested the Lions give him some quick hitters, screens and other high-percentage passes early in the game this week to build his confidence. He is clearly struggling with the mental aspect of the game.

I agree in principle with trying to simplify the game for Jennings but I thought the Lions did that in Calgary and it backfired. They ran the ball successfully on the first three plays, but when Jennings tried to hit a short curl to Burnham on the fourth play, the Stamps were all over it and picked it off. Jennings never recovered. On the next series, the Lions faked a handoff to Johnson and screened to Rainey, who was pulled down for a 1-yard gain. On second down, the O-line cut-blocked for Jennings to throw a quick hitter but he was gun shy and pulled the ball down, holding it in the pocket and taking a sack. Cut blocks can be a great way to open passing lanes for a quick hitter but QBs are usually taught that if the receiver play isn't there, throw the ball away because they're not going to get time to find a secondary receiver. Ricky Ray made the same mistake in the earlier game Saturday and was strip-sacked to set up Edmonton's opening touchdown. But Ray overcame his mistake and played a good game. Jennings didn't.
Thanks, BCFAN. The breakdowns are for the readers. And for my own satisfaction. I enjoy doing it.

I enjoy the games, actually, win or lose, at this time. It is an adjustment I have managed to make. So I can look at film immediately after a game, and make comments quickly, pretty much without the pain I used to feel after losses.

Re JJ10 ... It is not an easy fix. How do you keep it simple? And then how do you put the defence at a disadvantage? (By the way, this fan thinks JJ is still the fine young quarterback we have seen shoot lights out, and win games, almost singlehandely. He needs to get his confidence back.)

My 2 cents? ... Burn the midnight oil studying film of the opponents. Focus on tendencies and vulnerabilities. Build your game plan from there, with the priority being what they think is most comfortable for Jennings. Not easy. And they are no doubt trying to do that already. Hopefully. But many get the impression, even from the words of the staff, that the usual focus is on executing a playbook that is pretty much static.

In any case focus on quick routes. Higher percentage passes. The D does have to respect our receivers.

O Line? It is an issue from a number of perspectives.

Running game? Focus on it. Pound the ball. Wear the D down. Hogs love run blocking, being on the attack, pounding the defenders.

And it ain't all JJ. We have not found ways to integrate Williams or Rainey in the offence.

I think we have to focus on the tendencies of the opponent. This fan believes that is how they are getting advantages on us.

Amazingly, we are still in the hunt. Lots of talent, IMO. And a hard working, dedicated staff.