QB, now what?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:38 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:43 am
dpoe wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:08 pm
What's Henry Burris up to these days?
Rakeem Cato - not sure he's not done as he turned out to be a nut case in practice and games.
I think with Cato there were extenuating circumstances by the name of Popp, Carter and Stafford. Popp had no business being on the sidelines and he obviously has no ability to manage personalities. Carter and his cousin are obvious toxic turd blossoms. We can see how Boris Bede was treated like garbage by Carter and his crap-tabulous cronies last year and became a basket case. He is now back on track, by and large, without that BS affecting the team.

Carter had a slow start to the year and I think would have been a massive distraction if he (and Glenn) hadn't got hot over the last few games. You could see he was getting sullen and was *beeotch* on the sidelines when he was the Rider's 4th best receiver. A couple of times Jones had to tell him to shut his trap.
I liked Rakeem Cato (and his story) and was shocked by how it unraveled in MTL and I know from what I read he got into with Duron Carter. JC let Carter go mid- year rather than taking the Chris Jones approach with him who meets with him every day to make sure 'they are on the same page'. Rod Black said that Jones told he and Duane Forde that "Carter is at his best when he's busy" so that is why you see him on STs and a few times on Def at Corner.

I would love to see Cato get another shot here but strange that Anthony Cavillo was no help to him. I'm beginning to think AC is not influential a coach as they have huge QB issues when he had a greater role. Granted they had injuries.

In a BC situation with a calm, cool Lulay there and Wally's way with QBs he might do well. He'd be a cheap option.

Kevin Glenn was a huge proponent of Sask signing Duron Carter and I've not seen any comments on Rakeem. Note how Glenn says he'd simply not comment if he had bad things to say. Not sure why we never heard him on the Cato fight at practice. But it was more than one incident.
Kevin Glenn wants to set the record straight about Duron Carter.

“The guy isn’t a bad person, trust me,’’ Glenn said recently during CFL Week in Regina. “I wouldn’t vouch for him if he was. I could leave it to whatever you guys (in the media) said about him and then say I don’t want to comment on it. You can tell he’s not a bad person because of how he acts off the field.’’

Carter’s on-field incidents included bumping into Ottawa Redblacks head coach Rick Campbell, an indiscretion for which the receiver was suspended for one game. The Alouettes released Carter in October after a confrontation with quarterback Rakeem Cato. The Alouettes never did confirm the reasons for cutting Carter.

“There are some things have happened in his career that he would want to take back,’’ Glenn said. “We’re all human and we all make mistakes.’’

Glenn feels that the Riders may be the ideal situation for the Carter, who is among the league’s most explosive and elite receivers. Glenn compared Carter’s on-field personality to that of B.C. Lions linebacker Solomon Elimimian.

“If you were on the field with him, you wouldn’t like him,’’ Glenn said. “Off the field he’s awesome and a really good teammate. When you get on the field, guys trigger something that says this is how they are on the field. That persona carries off the field and it’s a perception that (Carter) has all of this baggage. He’s a good guy.’’

Veteran receiver Rob Bagg has text-messaged Carter since he signed with the Riders on Jan. 26.

“He seems excited about his opportunity here,’’ Bagg said. “I didn’t get the feeling that he was better than all of us and didn’t have anything to learn from us. He’s excited about getting here and not only proving he’s a great football player but a great teammate.’’

"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
don corleone
Starter

Lion Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:51 am
We need another one now. Who do we sign?
Vince Young.

15 lbs lighter and a basic understanding of the rules.

Shouldn't be any worse than crazy george for generating fan interest.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting that Quinn Epperly is listed on the 46 man roster and Mitchell Gale is on the practice roster.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

don corleone wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:10 pm
Lion Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:51 am
We need another one now. Who do we sign?
Vince Young.

15 lbs lighter and a basic understanding of the rules.

Shouldn't be any worse than crazy george for generating fan interest.
I'm all for bringing in Vince Young for generating fan interest...as long as he sticks to a drum stick and a tambourine.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Interesting that Quinn Epperly is listed on the 46 man roster and Mitchell Gale is on the practice roster.
I guess the strategy there is, if it's a given that both quarterbacks are going to be running for their life, better to insert a guy that can actually run. :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:36 am
TheLionKing wrote:
I guess the strategy there is, if it's a given that both quarterbacks are going to be running for their life, better to insert a guy that can actually run. :wink:

http://3downnation.com/2017/09/13/b-c-l ... e-changes/
The footnotes for LU's Dorazio article are as interesting as the main article. If LU is up to date, they must be leaning more towards Gale due to being more CFL experienced. (As you say, he sure isn't that fleet of foot.)
LIONS TALES: Buono was exercising caution with Canadian tailback Shaquille Murray-Lawrence, who was involved in a head-on car accident near the club’s training facility in Surrey Sunday. Murray-Lawrence did not suffer any major injuries, according to an eyewitness account, but hasn’t been at practice all week and will be placed on the team’s disabled list… David Foucault, who lost his job at left tackle to start the year and moved to guard, is the expected starter at right tackle this week. Brooks is back on the defensive front, replacing Bryant Turner, after missing last week. B.C. continues to evaluate two candidates to fill the roster vacancy created by the season-ending knee injury to Travis Lulay. CFL veteran Mitchell Gale is expected to be placed on the 46-man roster this weekend. The Lions are also looking at left-hander Quinn Epperly, who had a previous look in Montreal and played collegiately at Princeton…TSN has reported that free agent Alex Bazzie has turned down contract offers from two CFL teams and intends to sign with the Lions, although a third suitor entered the bidding earlier Wednesday.
I wonder who the 3rd club is in the Bazzie sweepstakes?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC 1988 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:03 am
A tweet posted on RF last Friday said Lions, Riders and Argos were interested.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:55 am
BC 1988 wrote:
Yes, at that time it was BC, SSK, and TOR, but LU says another team entered the bidding "Wednesday"-- yesterday (probably why the deal with the Lions is taking longer to finalize).
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:58 am
Hambone wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:55 am
BC 1988 wrote:
Yes, at that time it was BC, SSK, and TOR, but LU says another team entered the bidding "Wednesday"-- yesterday (probably why the deal with the Lions is taking longer to finalize).
So you're talking a 4th team. I would suspect anytime a decent proven CFL vet gets released at least half the CFL's GMs will place a call to inquire. The level of interest would vary though.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:36 am
TheLionKing wrote:

LOL :wink: :wink:
The_Pauser
Legend

So apparently Hamilton is fielding offers for the rights to Johnny Manziel. Gotta say, I hope we're in on this. Even if he is a flop and doesn't really work out just the name value bringing him in could be enough to sell a few more tickets.

I would probably dress him on the field, likely as a number 3 for the rest of this season. Maybe throw him in there at the end of a game if we're blowing out another team, though for the most part I would look to just develop him in practice and get him ready for next year's training camp. If he's of the mindset that he'll just use the CFL as a stepping stone to get back to the NFL, and doesn't really take the game that seriously then he will fail. But if he comes in here and embraces the league and works hard to succeed then who knows. But it's worth a gamble if we can get him relatively cheap, for nothing more than to create a buzz in this market.
Roar you Lions roar!
QB Club 63
All Star

David wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:28 am
Wally says he wants (needs?) Travis on the sidelines. Just wondering the logistics of getting a guy on a plane to Calgary who has just shredded his knee. I know it's only an hour in the air, but it's a tight commercial flight.....and I can't imagine it's too good for the swelling either. Maybe they load him onto the cargo truck with all the equipment and get him there that way. :wink:
When I read that I got a mental picture of Kato and Travis, trucking along Hwy 1, singing along with Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again" blasting from the speakers. :rotf:
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:37 am
So apparently Hamilton is fielding offers for the rights to Johnny Manziel. Gotta say, I hope we're in on this. Even if he is a flop and doesn't really work out just the name value bringing him in could be enough to sell a few more tickets.

I would probably dress him on the field, likely as a number 3 for the rest of this season. Maybe throw him in there at the end of a game if we're blowing out another team, though for the most part I would look to just develop him in practice and get him ready for next year's training camp. If he's of the mindset that he'll just use the CFL as a stepping stone to get back to the NFL, and doesn't really take the game that seriously then he will fail. But if he comes in here and embraces the league and works hard to succeed then who knows. But it's worth a gamble if we can get him relatively cheap, for nothing more than to create a buzz in this market.
If he were brought in to create a buzz in the market then he's being brought in for all the wrong reasons. He gets brought in because it's believed he can within a relatively short period of time make the team better. Having said that one thing that can be guaranteed is that if your scenario came to fruition there would instantly be a QB controversy amongst fans and media. Seems to me when Doug Flutie came to BC a couple games into the 1990 season he didn't play or start right away but there sure was an impatient push from the fans to see it happen sooner than later.
The_Pauser
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:27 am
The_Pauser wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:37 am

If he were brought in to create a buzz in the market then he's being brought in for all the wrong reasons. He gets brought in because it's believed he can within a relatively short period of time make the team better. Having said that one thing that can be guaranteed is that if your scenario came to fruition there would instantly be a QB controversy amongst fans and media. Seems to me when Doug Flutie came to BC a couple games into the 1990 season he didn't play or start right away but there sure was an impatient push from the fans to see it happen sooner than later.
It's more of a bonus for signing him. I do think if his head is on right that he could make this team better. Not for this season, but for next season perhaps. He needs to learn the CFL game and that's why I'd probably still have him behind Alex Ross, with Lulay mentoring both kids on the side.

If Manziel comes in here and is anything like Doug Flutie then forget the controversy, we'll have a gem.
Roar you Lions roar!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Isn't Manziel still a rich kid big party guy? And didn't he buy his way out of an assaulting his girlfriend charge? NO THANKS is my initial reaction but if he has successfully rehabilitated himself then I guess a second chance is called for.