CFL Games of Week 13, September 15 - 17

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

ZLions
Rookie

Damn Montreal's offence barely got on the field in this one. Their defence has basically played the whole game, Ottawa's offence has done a great job controlling the line of scrimmage and picking apart a tired Montreal defense, and they're doing so with their third string quarterback. It's the Montreal offence when they do get on the field they can't get anything going at all. Jovan Olifioye would be so much better suited over here. Montreal does have some pretty hot cheerleaders at least lol.
don corleone
Starter

CardiacKid wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:36 am
Would love to see Jamie Elizondo get some consideration for OC next year
Not his brother in law or anything but really think Lions fans would enjoy watching a Paul LaPolice offence. The time spent as a TSN analyst really helped broaden his game. Contemporary offensive football philosophy is his thing. Andrew Harris helps a lot but not one Bomber receiver even makes the Lion roster and yet Winnipeg ranks among league leaders in yards from scrimmage. Very baffling

Just my opinion. Enough said on the matter.
Rammer
Team Captain

Lapo will be an option if/when a HC opens up, just not sold on his ability to surround himself with a quality coaching staff to complete a solid staff.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CardiacKid wrote:
Would love to see Jamie Elizondo get some consideration for OC next year when the new VP Football Operations, GM and HC arrive. And while they are at it, maybe institute a QB coach whose duties are separate from OC.
Isn't Elizondo already the OC for the Redblacks? And as such he won't be moving to another team unless it is a promotion. "OC and assistant HC", Redblacks could easily arrange that if they wanted to keep him.
CardiacKid
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:48 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Would love to see Jamie Elizondo get some consideration for OC next year when the new VP Football Operations, GM and HC arrive. And while they are at it, maybe institute a QB coach whose duties are separate from OC.
Isn't Elizondo already the OC for the Redblacks? And as such he won't be moving to another team unless it is a promotion. "OC and assistant HC", Redblacks could easily arrange that if they wanted to keep him.
I actually would love to see Rick Campbell and his entire staff move over here; lock, stock and barrel. But have Campbell as HC and GM.

I think he is a pragmatic and prepared coach. Not flashy but forward thinking. We often see posts on the forum about how Wally is great at assembling talent but gets out-coached by the likes of Dave Dickenson. IMO the Redblacks out-coached the Stamps in last year's Grey Cup. Campbell will coach to manufacture points (Wally will not do that for the life of him) but he doesn't seem to make the coaching decisions that Mike O'shea does that costs them games with poorly-timed gambles.

He is the anti-thesis of a Chris Jones who guts a team as a means of emphasizing he is in charge and "hey, look at me! I'm coaching, GM'ing and VP'ing!" as opposed to any really sensible plan.

Caveat: I am an Ottawa fan so my point is somewhat prejudiced.....
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:02 pm
Durant is done after this season, his continuation with the Als will kill the fanbase. That was horrendous play from an experienced QB as can be imagined.

As for JC and not communicating...colour me surprised, not. Thankfully he isn't in the Lions system. Not communicating shows his frustrations, but it more importantly shows his lack of leadership. JC is a guy who likes it his way and only his way, but can't lead men.
The new lease on life in the Als lineup is Ken Miller. Now he needs to play the other card - get Reed back in the GM booth and Ken Miller as HC. That's Durant's teddy bear.

As Blitz notes Durant and Reed look good on each other.

JC - if the not including all coaches in game planning is true - and it sure looked that way on the sidelines at games - JC deserved to be fired.

For his next move back to university ball, I can tell you from Alums at SFU they were very very bitter at his departure back to the CFL as an OC from the hill. The story goes that topic was explored deeply before they recommended him for hire and they were part of the process. Now ill feelings go away but will other colleges feel he's not really wanting to be there? Everyone gets a job somewhere and I don't think he should not either.

But if you look at how Wally develops his assistants (not much development as he's sink or swim and he's stuck on player execution only is the key and no trick plays even though the teams all do it now) - then it's no wonder JC didnt turn out like Hufnagel developed and brought along Dave Dickensen - gradually and inclusively.

Having said that I think that Travis Lulay would make that transition to coaching faster even that Dave as Dickensen was always fighting to either get his QB job or keep in the job whereas Travis has sometime ago (due to injury) mentally transitioned and in my mind he's no doubt prepping to be a coach and he'd be sought after in the CFL.

Dave had to be out of football to transition to coaching. Wally said he didn't think Dave would put in the hours and he didn't see him wanting to coach. Look at Dicky now!!! Great OC and now great HC.

But what Wally missed is the new breed of coaches coming on as assistants with their own ideas and with new technology and smarter HCs who don't need to spend all night post game breaking down film and working so hard that game day they're bankrupt of quick thinking and get into play calling ruts.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy