The rich get richer - Esks aquire Chick

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Sure, his best days are behind him at 34, but an already fearsome pass rush just got stronger as the Eskimos acquire John Chick from Hamilton in what amounts to an exchange of 2018 draft picks (Hamilton gets Edmonton's 2nd round pick, and send them their 5th round pick). Details here.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It seems a sign of dumping an older guy and $$$$ whose not lighting it up (0 and 8) for futures. Esks can afford to get a short termer here as they're beaten up a bit.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

Meh. Chick's best days are behind him. If he does find his old groove then the Esks really win this trade/salary dump. If he plays at 2017 pace, he doesn't see much playing time. I would think other teams were offered Chick and this the best trade in return, that says alot about how teams view his ability.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A depth move by the Esks. Can never have enough depth.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Esks DL has also been hit hard with injuries. They already lost Howard and Hunt to the 6G and Sewell is on the 1G. Going after Chick might be a sign Sewell is going to be out a bit longer.

Chick has largely been invisible this year. A graphic I saw during their 6th game of the season vs Edmonton showed him with 1 sack and 7 pressures. Quite average to mediocre given last year he had 14 sacks. What sprang to mind for me was this was a sign of decline. A player like Chick has been successful thanks to his explosivenes and burst off the snap. That his combined sack and pressure numbers are where they are indicates to me that he has lost some of that explosiveness which is only natural. That Father Time is catching up to a defensive end usually shows up first in the player's quickness. Just losing a fraction off burst can turn a very good DE into an average or mediocre one.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

Wally just signed Ricky Foley a couple of weeks ago and he is 35 years old. We didn't have to trade any draft choices for him.

But he is an older player, has been less productive than Chick in recent seasons, and we picked him up for depth.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Roscoe Baggins
prospect

Hambone wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:31 pm
Esks DL has also been hit hard with injuries. They already lost Howard and Hunt to the 6G and Sewell is on the 1G. Going after Chick might be a sign Sewell is going to be out a bit longer.

Chick has largely been invisible this year. A graphic I saw during their 6th game of the season vs Edmonton showed him with 1 sack and 7 pressures. Quite average to mediocre given last year he had 14 sacks. What sprang to mind for me was this was a sign of decline. A player like Chick has been successful thanks to his explosivenes and burst off the snap. That his combined sack and pressure numbers are where they are indicates to me that he has lost some of that explosiveness which is only natural. That Father Time is catching up to a defensive end usually shows up first in the player's quickness. Just losing a fraction off burst can turn a very good DE into an average or mediocre one.
Sewell is a DT, Chick is a DE. What does one have to do with the other?