CFL Games of Week 10, August 24 - 26

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

WPG @ MTL ... Hmmmm. Tough call. I like Jacques. Go, Montreal.

SSK @ EE ... Hmmmmm. Don't really care. Hope they beat the snot out of each other.

BC @ OTT ... It is there for the taking, it would seem. Or is Ottawa waking up?

TOR @ CGY ... Gotta think Calgary will wake up from the sloppy, snooze fest they put on vs us.

2017-08-20_0215.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

How do we rank the teams?

#1 Calgary. Ahead on points for. Ahead on points against. Ahead of Edmonton.

#2 Edmonton. Mike Reilly. Good receivers. Pretty good defence.

#3 Winnipeg. Great coach IMO. Very good QB. Helluva running back.

#4 BC. Good quarterbacks, receivers, running back. Solly. Athletic DBs who mess up coverages.

#5 Toronto. Ricky Ray. Marc Trestman. And guys who will be replaced next year.

#6 Montreal. Go, Als. A decent bet to make the playoffs.

#7 Regina. Who knows? But the glow is off the shiny, new Lord of Football in Regina.

#8 Ottawa. Time to wake up.

#9 Hamilton. Time for a new gig for Kent Austin.

2017-08-20_0214.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Edmonton adds more depth to their already loaded defensive line.

http://www.tsn.ca/eskimos-acquire-all-s ... s-1.834547
David
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:26 am

#1 Calgary. Ahead on points for. Ahead on points against. Ahead of Edmonton.

#2 Edmonton. Mike Reilly. Good receivers. Pretty good defence.

#3 Winnipeg. Great coach IMO. Very good QB. Helluva running back.

#4 BC. Good quarterbacks, receivers, running back. Solly. Athletic DBs who mess up coverages.

#5 Toronto. Ricky Ray. Marc Trestman. And guys who will be replaced next year.

#6 Montreal. Go, Als. A decent bet to make the playoffs.

#7 Regina. Who knows? But the glow is off the shiny, new Lord of Football in Regina.

#8 Ottawa. Time to wake up.

#9 Hamilton. Time for a new gig for Kent Austin.

2017-08-20_0214.png
That's a pretty fair assessment on where teams sit, WCJ. I expect the Riders and Ottawa to start their ascent.

As maligned as our front 4 has been, we led the league in stopping the run going into the week. I thought we held Messam in pretty good check as well, as he only had 69 yards rushing on 15 carries (4.6 yards per carry including one 16 yarder). That has been the bright spot, but we're just not getting consistent pressure. Roh has been the most effective pass rusher with 4 sacks, and he's had some wiped out due to penalties (he should probably have 6 or 7).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:16 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:26 am
That's a pretty fair assessment on where teams sit, WCJ. I expect the Riders and Ottawa to start their ascent.

As maligned as our front 4 has been, we led the league in stopping the run going into the week. I thought we held Messam in pretty good check as well, as he only had 69 yards rushing on 15 carries (4.6 yards per carry including one 16 yarder). That has been the bright spot, but we're just not getting consistent pressure. Roh has been the most effective pass rusher with 4 sacks, and he's had some wiped out due to penalties (he should probably have 6 or 7).

Thanks, David.

Our DL work hard. Roh is effective. I like Menard and Forde. We might need a top level rush end and a dominating tackle. Dunno who has determined our preferred style of INT DTs. Too small IMO. Not dominant. No penetration. It seems to me like a failure in DL overall concept. Washington or Wally? Dunno. Wally seemed to like powerhouse DTs. Williams. Hunt. Mitchell.

Dunno if Mark W has passed a long apprenticeship as DC. I think not, although I fully expect he meets Wally's philosophical preference for conservative D.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Media picks Week 10 ...

2017-08-23_1321.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/08/23/cfl-ca-wr ... -10-picks/
WPG @ MTL

The 6-2 Bombers have been favoured on CFL Pick ‘Em only three times in their eight contests so far this season. That’s about to change as fans and media have started taking the Blue and Gold a little more seriously following last week’s win over Edmonton.

Despite the numbers, this game is far from a shoe-in. A road trip to Montreal will be another good test for Mike O’Shea’s team considering both the Alouettes’ 3-1 home record as well as what happened the last time these clubs met in Week 6 (a 41-40 Winnipeg victory).

PICK
Writers: 100% Winnipeg
Fans: 87% Winnipeg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SSK @ EDM

The trip back to Commonwealth is almost becoming old hat for former Esks coach Chris Jones. With that said, are the Riders finally becoming the team Jones envisioned when he left Edmonton to start a new empire in green and white?

Jones’ club looks to prove a 41-8 win over BC two weeks ago wasn’t an anomaly, although it won’t be easy against an Eskimos team you can expect to be angry after losing its first game of 2017. The numbers say these teams stack up well and Friday’s contest will be a solid measuring stick for both.

PICK:
Writers: 71% Edmonton
Fans: 75% Edmonton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BC @ OTT

This is where the writers and fans part ways, with Ottawa and BC splitting the popular vote ahead of their Week 10 matchup. Enigmatic would be one way to describe both of these clubs so far in 2017 as the results haven’t yet matched high expectations going into the season.

For a cross-division encounter, Saturday’s game has massive implications for both teams. A REDBLACKS win would announce their intention of competing for the East while the Lions need two points to keep pace with Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg in the highly-competitive West.

PICK
Writers: 71% Ottawa
Fans: 68% BC

TOR @ CGY

The Stampeders have been unbeatable at McMahon the last two years and neither the fans nor the writers see that ending at the hands of the Argos. On paper, however, these teams match up fairly well as Calgary’s second-ranked offence (394.3 yards per game) looks to solve the Argos’ top-ranked defence (305.9 yards per game).

Round 1 went to the Stamps in convincing fashion but don’t be surprised if Ricky Ray, coming off a dominant outing against the Als, flips the script and puts on an airshow in Cowtown.

PICK
Writers: 100% Calgary
Fans: 92% Calgary

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bombers leading Alouettes 10-0 after the 1st quarter. Montreal has turned the football twice, one killing a promising drive.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Alouettes scores with 12 seconds left in the half to tie the game at 10
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Boris Bede kicks a field goal with 9 seconds left to tie the game 23-23. Heading into overtime. Nik Lewis surpassed Geroy Simon as CFL leader in reception.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bombers win 34-31 in double overtime on a field goal by Justin Medlock. Darian Durant threw an interception into double coverage to end any hope of an Alouette comeback.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hamilton?
Montreal if Reed wants his own guy?
Wally when he retires?
Jones in Saskatchewan?

With the job he is doing in Winnipeg LaPolice is going to be a head coach again in this league somewhere next year.
David
Team Captain

I am not sure LaPolice wants to be a head coach, Sammy. I could be wrong, but don't get the overwhelming sense that he seeks the high stress spotlight and wants to uproot his family from their Winnipeg home.

I think he's happy with the gig he has.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:39 am
I am not sure LaPolice wants to be a head coach, Sammy. I could be wrong, but don't get the overwhelming sense that he seeks the high stress spotlight and wants to uproot his family from their Winnipeg home.

I think he's happy with the gig he has.

Probably right David. Too bad. I would take him in a heartbeat here for 2018.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Saskatchewan takes a surprising 14-0 lead over Edmonton after the first quarter but Edmonton is in scoring position.