Calgary 21 - BC 17, Post-game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Three man rush by Calgary.

Jennings under extreme pressure immediately. That he remained ''relatively'' calm, and even became effective later in the game is amazing to this fan. Jennings almost gave us a chance for victory at game end. Without a missed convert, we would have had an excellent chance for a tying field goal at game end.

2017-08-19_1305.png
2017-08-19_1305_001.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

2nd and long for the Stamps. I have tended to think that Mitchell, who has zero rushes this year, was not all that agile or athletic. On this spin move, scramble and throw off balance, he reminded me of Fran Tarkenton, dodging the rampaging bulls.

2017-08-19_1317.png
2017-08-19_1317_001.png
2017-08-19_1318.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JJ24 putting the showboat Singleton on the ground.

2017-08-19_1324.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It was an intense game, although filled with mistakes. Dickenson's hair was on fire during the measurement at game end, when he felt the Lions got an advantageous spot. LOL

Here is JJ10 punching it in for a TD. Looks like the All Blacks versus the Wallabies in a rugby scrum.

One of my favourite John Madden lines: ''He's giving him the business down there.''

2017-08-19_1327.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jennings is in there somewhere. LOL

2017-08-19_1332.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Calgary's O Line, with many changing parts over the years, gives Mitchell good pass protection. Looks like 4 NAT starters. And there is Cam Thorn, a draft pick I liked for us previously, as backup. A big farm boy from Ontario.

2017-08-19_1335.png
2017-08-19_1337.png

South Pender
Legend

I continue to be surprised at the frequency and intensity of criticism of Buono that has appeared on this forum--and even more surprised by the way some of it has focused on what appear to be character flaws. I think this latter focus is risky and unproductive. In my opinion, he gets roasted often for things involving game planning/preparation and in-game adjustments that more properly belong at the feet of the coordinators and coaches. And when our DBs get beaten deep, as they often do, the conclusion usually seems to be that it’s a scheme failure (which somehow again is blamed on Buono) and not simply poor player execution. Frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised if next year when Buono is (likely) gone, we’ll wish we had someone with his strong presence holding the team together.

At the beginning of the season an early consensus seemed to be building that our Lions had the best talent in the league—or at least as good as Calgary’s, for example. Now at the halfway point, it seems clear to me that our talent level is not what we had thought (and hoped) it would be. We are at best an average CFL team talent-wise in my opinion. Our lines are mediocre, and this fact in itself, in my opinion, accounts for our current record against Western teams every bit as much as poor coaching. Our D-line gets pushed around, and opposing QBs have far too much time to find receivers. Our O-line can’t pass-protect well enough and don’t seem able to provide for an effective ground game—deficiencies usually blamed on Dorazio, but, in my opinion, point more to a lack of player talent in most cases. This all in addition to two mediocre coordinators.

We’re currently at 5-4, and I can see a 10-8 finish as likely (±1) unless some things change. We’re now in the middle of the NFL preseason, and internationals that could help us are falling off NFL rosters. A strong RT would be an improvement as would some D-line help—at the very least. I hope Buono and McEvoy are looking….
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Another view of Rainey's magic ...

2017-08-19_1346.png
2017-08-19_1347.png
2017-08-19_1347_001.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

He beats three men for the TD.

2017-08-19_1347_002.png

2017-08-19_1347_003.png

VictoriaFan
Starter

can't understand why old man Foley was brought in, except he's Canadian, I haven't seen anything special about his pass rush at all. Special teams stink more than my manure tea
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I thought Marcello Simmons did a good job with the special teams last season. What happened ? Why is he seemingly in the doghouse while Buono is running the special teams ?
Rammer
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:45 pm
I continue to be surprised at the frequency and intensity of criticism of Buono that has appeared on this forum--and even more surprised by the way some of it has focused on what appear to be character flaws. I think this latter focus is risky and unproductive. In my opinion, he gets roasted often for things involving game planning/preparation and in-game adjustments that more properly belong at the feet of the coordinators and coaches. And when our DBs get beaten deep, as they often do, the conclusion usually seems to be that it’s a scheme failure (which somehow again is blamed on Buono) and not simply poor player execution. Frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised if next year when Buono is (likely) gone, we’ll wish we had someone with his strong presence holding the team together.

At the beginning of the season an early consensus seemed to be building that our Lions had the best talent in the league—or at least as good as Calgary’s, for example. Now at the halfway point, it seems clear to me that our talent level is not what we had thought (and hoped) it would be. We are at best an average CFL team talent-wise in my opinion. Our lines are mediocre, and this fact in itself, in my opinion, accounts for our current record against Western teams every bit as much as poor coaching. Our D-line gets pushed around, and opposing QBs have far too much time to find receivers. Our O-line can’t pass-protect well enough and don’t seem able to provide for an effective ground game—deficiencies usually blamed on Dorazio, but, in my opinion, point more to a lack of player talent in most cases. This all in addition to two mediocre coordinators.

We’re currently at 5-4, and I can see a 10-8 finish as likely (±1) unless some things change. We’re now in the middle of the NFL preseason, and internationals that could help us are falling off NFL rosters. A strong RT would be an improvement as would some D-line help—at the very least. I hope Buono and McEvoy are looking….
The next HC may well have us asking for Wally's return. That however doesn't take away from criticism for the teams play in 2017. I think it's fair to say that Wally relies upon his teams to execute long tried and true plays that succeed when "execution" is better than the opposition. It is fair to say that Wally has little knowledge of the O, but does influence his conservative desire on an OC. That the Lions OL has produced little in the way of all stars that were drafted and trained by Dorazio, yet seem to help other OL upon insertion.

As for talent, yes the Lions have talent in spades at certain positions, but lack at a couple key spots as well, again OL Nationals seem to creep back into the equation. Wally is loyal to his coordinators, which is all good when the Lions talent is above the rest of the league, but that isn't the case in 2018.

All you need to do is see the Andrew Harris per Bomber match-up giving his views on the Lions and Bombers coaching levels.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:45 pm
I share your view that the talent level is overrated. Yes, we have exceptional talent in some positions (receiving for one) but are subpar in some others (defensive and offensive lines)
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:37 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:06 pm
Despite the loss, the guys played hard and with intensity. You have to give them that. The defence especially dug deep to keep the Stamps out of the end zone in the 1st half.
If the intensity wasn't there tonight, i would have been worried about this team's prospects this year.
Hmm, I would say more intensity than the Riders game, but no comparison to the Bombers vs the Esks last night. Sadly a Stamps team that played as poorly as they did tonight was still good enough to beat the Lions.

Simply a good team winning ugly and an average team finding a way not to win. Even sadder IMO is that the Stamps were able to do this on the road, a big slap in the face to Lion fans.
This is exactly what I was going to say. An absolutely poor effort by the Calgary Stampeders, in enemy territory and still we couldn't take them. One can acknowledge effort and intensity which was somewhat better but at the end of the day, they couldn't muster enough to beat a team having a horrible game from their usual standards on home turf. Based on the play of other teams above us, I would have to say at this point we are a solid 4th place team....if we are lucky.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blitz
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:49 pm
Rammer wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:37 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:06 pm
Despite the loss, the guys played hard and with intensity. You have to give them that. The defence especially dug deep to keep the Stamps out of the end zone in the 1st half.
If the intensity wasn't there tonight, i would have been worried about this team's prospects this year.
Hmm, I would say more intensity than the Riders game, but no comparison to the Bombers vs the Esks last night. Sadly a Stamps team that played as poorly as they did tonight was still good enough to beat the Lions.

Simply a good team winning ugly and an average team finding a way not to win. Even sadder IMO is that the Stamps were able to do this on the road, a big slap in the face to Lion fans.
This is exactly what I was going to say. An absolutely poor effort by the Calgary Stampeders, in enemy territory and still we couldn't take them. One can acknowledge effort and intensity which was somewhat better but at the end of the day, they couldn't muster enough to beat a team having a horrible game from their usual standards on home turf. Based on the play of other teams above us, I would have to say at this point we are a solid 4th place team....if we are lucky.
The Stamps, one of the lowest penalized teams in the CFL, uncharacteristically had 15 penalties for 150 yards. We will likely not face them again, playing this poorly coming off a bye week and Bo Levi having some shoulder problems affecting his throwing motion.

“It was disappointing to see the execution (and) mental errors, stuff we’re not used to seeing with Stampeder football,” said Dickenson after the game.

Still, we were unable to take advantage. At least this game was closer than the last two times we played them last season - they dominated us in those two games. They would have again had their offence not been so "off".

Right now Edmonton and Calgary and Winnipeg are better led teams than our Leos. Edmonton wins a Grey Cup, loses their entire coaching staff and a ton of players and one season later they are competitive and this season they are tied for 1st in the West.

The biggest problem the Eskimos faced last season was their defense but this season, they can rush four and get a lot of pressure and therefore they can play simple zone and get away with it. Maas has an excellent football mind on offence.

The Bombers are winning with smart offence, aggressive defence, and very good special teams play. When one looks at the Bombers offence, they don't have a lot of pieces. Nichols is their quarterback, Wally thought Harris' best days were behind him, and their receiving crew is not special.

The Bombers just beat the Eskimos, a team we lost to and struggled offensively against even with Travis Lulay in there playing extremely well before that game. In the Bombers victory Andrew Harris had 105 yards rushing and 120 yds. receiving.

The Bombers receiving crew was Adams, Denmark, Thorpe, Lankford, and Feoli Gudino - not a receiving crew that would make a defense quake in its boots. But somehow they execute!! But they are executing an offensive scheme that works, even though they don't have a ton of high end receivers.

Calgary has the best GM in the CFL in Hufnagel. The Stamps draft very well and they bring in excellent talent. Dickenson is a cerebral offensive strategist. Claybrooks did a great job in his 1st season as the Stamps DC last year and his continuing his good work.

Last season DeVaris Daniels stepped in after 6 games and had a heck of a rookie season.

The Stamps lost their best offensive lineman (and the CFL's best offensive lineman) this season to free agency. They haven't missed a beat. They switched Spencer Wilson over to left tackle for 2017 and they are going with al Nationals at guard and tackle. Williams is playing center because Lavurtu is hurt. We trade Olifioye and we can't replace him.

The Stamps traded for Jerome Messam two seasons ago and have a National tailback who can really get it done.

They drafted Singleton last season and he is an incredibly talented middle linebacker and a National to boot. No matter who gets injured there, they have someone who can step in that is ready to play. The Stamps lose Devon Mayo to injury and Thurman steps in and plays well. They lose Jordan and Michel steps in and plays very well. In the meanwhile we lose Burnham and Morgan doesn't know what to do out there.

Bo Levi comments after the game against our Leos:
No, it wasn’t exactly a masterpiece but it does show once again the character we have,’’ reasoned Bo Levi Mitchell, on rundown Saturday morning, a dozen or so hours after putting a scrappy, down-to-the-wire 21-17 victory over the BC Lions to bed.

“That’s the thing about this team: When I’m having a bad game or maybe we’re struggling in one area, we’re still winning by four points.“Multi-turnover games that turn into touchdowns and you lose by 10, 15, 20 points? You’re not going to see that with us.

So whether its talent or execution or motivation these teams seem to be playing better than us. Its the job of the GM coach to bring in winning talent or to EXECUTE (assuming the scheme is a good one) or bring in the type of pros who can motivate themselves (it its not the job of the HC to do that.

Why are these other teams EXECUTING better or being better motivated or have better talent than we do, to ask the question of those who say our talent is not good enough.

The job of the GM is to hire the right HC or be a very good coach themselves, to hire coordinators and assistants who can scheme and game plan and make game adjustments. Its the job of the leader to bring in the talent required to win, to ensure they execute well and are players who are highly motivated.

Blaming players for a lack of execution or not being motivated doesn't work for me. Buono is the guy who hires the assistants, coordinates the coaching, and leads practices that lead to execution.

They are his assistant coaches and his players. They are who he has chosen or whom he has recruited or drafted and they are the coaches and players he leads.

End of the blame game.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)