CFL Games of Week 9, August 17 - 19

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:52 am
Who's everyone cheering for in the Edmonton - Winnipeg game?

I don't like either team, but do we more-or-less just concede first to the Esks at this point and worry about staying tight with the Bombers? In other words, cheer for Edmonton....and I use that term very loosely? :wink:

DH :cool:
Such a pivotal game for the Lions on Friday. Lose then I'm almost going to be hoping for 4th place and the cross-over. Eskimos and Stamps would almost be out of reach and it means battling the Bombers for a chance to go through Alberta in the playoffs. No thanks. Let the Bombers have 3rd. Of course, Riders also have the season series on us too so even 4th would be no lock.

That Riders/Bombers home and home coming up is big. Do I just hope for a Bomber win tonight then sweeping the Riders to put the Lions comfortably in 4th?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:52 am
Who's everyone cheering for in the Edmonton - Winnipeg game?

I don't like either team, but do we more-or-less just concede first to the Esks at this point and worry about staying tight with the Bombers? In other words, cheer for Edmonton....and I use that term very loosely? :wink:

DH :cool:
Don't like Jason Maas. Would like the Bombers hand the Esks their first loss of the season.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Well, David, I wouldn't/couldn't cheer for EE in a gazillion lifetimes! And to this day, over these past five years, every time I see him it grieves my heart that, of all places, our wonderful Mr. Reilly ended up in that hateful place. Anywhere but there!! Fate and chance can be so cruel! Sometimes I just don't wanna live anymore! Lol!

But, seriously... I truly cannot cheer for either of the City of Champions teams. Deep, deep scars, from the Eskimo/Oiler dynasty years. I don't wanna know about it.

While on the other hand, all my days I've had the Bombers as my second team -- despite their oftentimes ineptitude. I'm so pleased to see them heading in the right direction under Mike O'Shea. O'Shea is by far and away my favourite coach re quality character/temperament/personality. (Whereas Jason Maas is not my cup of tea at all. Yes, I understand that he's passionate -- but he doesn't wear it well at all IMO.)

And regards factoring in what's best for our dear Leos: My attitude/philosophy on any game day is it's up to the Lions to look after themselves. Play well and win, and let the rest take care of themselves. If they are passed by in the standings, shucks, but so be it. That's on them. I'm not going to cheer on Edmonton over Winnipeg just for that. I couldn't live with myself -- the betrayal - the burden of guilt would be great, and nowhere near worth it. Lol. (Yup, I have problems, but the Bombers success is not one of them. I'm more concerned with the Lions failures. But, Go! Leos Go!)
CardiacKid
Legend

My parents would look down from the heavens, give me an eye roll and an emphatic wag of the finger if I contemplated supporting the Esks.

I was brought up to never, ever support the Esks under any circumstances, even for a millisecond.

The Bombers I can support, however grudgingly, because of Cal Murphy and Tom Clements.

I do hope they beat the-ever-loving-tar out of each other.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Impressive opening drive by the Bombers, but the drive stalled deep in Edmonton territory and had to settled for a Justin Medlock field goal.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bombers leading 17-3 at the half. Very entertaining game. Fans are engaged. Great game plan by Paul LaPolice.
CardiacKid
Legend

IMO the Eskimos' record is deceiving, I don't think they are as good as their unbeaten record indicates and they will fall back to the pack. Their injury situation will only make their free fall more precipitous.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I was a doubter re Nichols. But this year he's coming into his own. Good for him -- and good for the league. The Bomber franchise has needed a dependable QB. He's becoming far more than merely dependable it seems. Thumbs up! Wonder how much Buck Pierce has to do with that? Buck's presence on the staff there -- another reason I easily cheer for the Bombers (unless we're playing them!!)
(Thumbs down though that Jason Maas is not sporting a Diversity is Strength t-shirt today -- Wally did, O'Shea did. Of course Chris Jones didn't, wearing his bad-boy black. That's laughable, as I would expect as much. But Maas? IMO, seriously disappointing. At least Benny is wearing one.)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Edmonton open the second half driving the field for a touchdown to narrow the score 17-10. Bombers immediately answer with a touchdown of their own. Now 24-10. Andrew Harris is having a career game, breaking tackles, running and receiving.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

And the shootout continues, now 24-17
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Edmonton Eskimos is no longer undefeated. Bombers beat them 33-26. Andrew Harris had a career game with 102 yards rushing and 120 yards receiving. He was a stud tonight.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wow. Caught just the end of the game. Saw some highlights.

Luv the crowd noise. LOL

Andrew Harris. :thup: 11/105 rushing. 8/120 receiving.

Great respect for Mike O'Shea. Nice embrace for Harris after the game.

Nichols is the real deal now.

Still don't like Loffler, but he can play. My Gawd, can he ever. He has a nose for the ball, and he is a heat-seeking missile.

The Bombers are for real, and they solidify their 3rd place standing in the West.

Nice to see Edmonton lose one. Gotta luv Mike Reilly though.

No nonsense and good prep by O'Shea's ST unit on the onside kick at game end. 9 men on the line. They block out prospective onside receivers. Easy play. Our unit oftentimes is unprepared, especially for tricks or creative ideas.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I wanted Reilly to throw another TD....stupid maas

too bad there are rules against it because I think every EE defender and would be tackler should do 5 hr a day for 4 days in a row of fully padded tackling practice using large greased pigs.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
CardiacKid
Legend

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:06 pm
I was a doubter re Nichols. But this year he's coming into his own. Good for him -- and good for the league. The Bomber franchise has needed a dependable QB. He's becoming far more than merely dependable it seems. Thumbs up! Wonder how much Buck Pierce has to do with that? Buck's presence on the staff there -- another reason I easily cheer for the Bombers (unless we're playing them!!)
(Thumbs down though that Jason Maas is not sporting a Diversity is Strength t-shirt today -- Wally did, O'Shea did. Of course Chris Jones didn't, wearing his bad-boy black. That's laughable, as I would expect as much. But Maas? IMO, seriously disappointing. At least Benny is wearing one.)
Maas is a professional contrarian at best and a malcontent at worst.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

does anyone know if they are selling those t-shirts to fans at games??

or anywhere else?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back