Ricky Foley signs with Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

https://www.bclions.com/2017/08/06/lion ... cky-foley/

Hmm. Not sure how I feel about this. Surprised Wally would even be interested given how Foley bailed on the last deal he made with the Lions. He must have come at a bargain basement price this time around. A cheap non-import to help the ratio?
bcbill1
Rookie

I hope he does well but I'm not a fan of this signing. At 35 what does he have left?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I've got no problems with this signing. Foley cutting out on a verbal agreement back in the day? Not recommended, but these CFL guys are not making million dollar contracts. And a lot of these athletes are not all that business-savvy. Plus the hometown, parental pressure, maybe some immaturity, etc.

Wally can forgive.

Foley has always had a huge motor. Could help us. The passport is good too.

I like our Nat D Linemen ... Menard, Forde, Luke and now Foley.

2017-08-06_1125.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

There once upon a time was a song by some ex-Byrds (a fave 60s group of mine as it happens) called "Don't you write her off that way". Its refrain came to mind yesterday, with its gender pro-noun changed of course, regards Shaq Murray-Lawrence. I'd written him off, and made a rude noise somewhat incredulously upon word of his return to the Lion's roster. But I was as pleased as anyone to be proven wrong about his usefulness. And surprisingly emotional to witness the sparks the little fireplug still had, that had never been evident before (to me at least). Good on him.

Mr. Foley is another case. He's not a youngster grasping at a chance to show his stuff like SM-L. He's an 'oldie' -- nearly as old as that aforementioned ex-Byrds song it would seem! And he has some dubious history with this organization to boot. But here he is -- back with us. Will surprises never cease! I hold no grudge. That's not my business. He did what he did and that was then. This is now, and, given the lesson I learned from last night and little Shaq, I'll not be writing this tattooed giant off either. I hope he proves useful, and I wish him success.

And reading LU's 3DownNation article, I got a good chuckle out of a certain wee typo: "Some concern was alleviated Sunday when the club brought back veteran free agent tush end Ricky Foley for the remainder of the 2017 season." Indeed he was a bit of an ass, once upon a time. Wishing him a well-cushioned landing here back with the Leos.
pennw
Legend

Does this mean we will get Area51 back too? :roll:
maxlion
Legend

I think this is a good move. He may not have enough left to sustain a high performance over an entire season, but for a partial season and especially in the playoffs, I think this could be really positive. Foley is a proven playoff performer. Menard maybe has potential, but hasn't made much of an impact. At least it is a low risk move that could pay dividends.
D
Team Captain

First thing I did was check the date on the post lol
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

pennw wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:27 pm
Unfortunately yes. He follows his brother like a bad smell. Get used to ongoing commentary about the red-headed gimp and how the Lions will never win anything with Jennings because he can't read defences.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

pennw wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:27 pm
Probably not as there are not enough active posters on Lionbackers for Area51 to argue with and insult.

I think this is a great signing provided that B.C. got him for a good price. It has been a while since the Argos released Foley, he has spoken to other teams and gone unsigned, so he really isn't in a strong bargaining position. Probably being paid as a rotational guy.

And like Maxlion said, Foley's 35y.o. body will benefit from a shorter season.
David
Team Captain

D wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:19 pm
:rotf:

I guess Wally's going "all in" on the Cup run.

I am fine with this signing. We know he's an athletic freak of nature, so it's not going to take long for him to get in game shape. I suppose the signing was made with the thought, "you can never have enough good Canadians." As a rotational rush end and special teamer, I think he can add. Leadership can't hurt either. :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

D wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:19 pm
Same thing crossed my mind as well.
Rammer
Team Captain

The best factor of Foley's signing is he brings readership to the team. Is he an every down DL at this stage? I don't think so, but on situational downs I believe he can still be effective.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. If he doesn't improve our DL then he won't see game time and given his ego, he will likely leave on his own accord.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Back to the Future Part Two: Andrew Jones is back.

https://www.bclions.com/2017/08/08/lion ... rew-jones/
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Foucault under concussion protocol.

Zver poached by Regina.

Getting thin in the Nat OL.

As noted numerous times, the quantity and quality of Nats in football is growing.

After Zver was poached, we picked up Gacusana, now Jones. Not ideal, but we need depth.

We may have to go back to 2 Int OL starters, in which case we might need one more Int on the PR.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What's Patrick Kabongo doing these days ? Will he be receiving a call from Buono ?