Lions 30 - Riders 15, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Closer view of JJ24 catching Lulay's touch pass ...

2017-08-07_0030.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jones and Buono shaking hands after the game. This is part of the CFL culture that I particularly like. It is a relatively small league. Players change teams. Coaches change teams. Relationships all over the place. Many friendly words after games, especially between players. After avoiding shaking hands initially as a Head Coach, Jones seems to have learned this little lesson anyways.

2017-08-07_0035.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

BC has had a lot of success with that wheel route pass to J. Johnson along the sidelines. He is matched up against the WILL LB and in most cases a guy he can beat one on one.

I assume the play is also designed to draw the FS to another part of the field. This seems like a potential big gain play for the Lions but one that perhaps they shouldn't go to too often, which seems to be exactly what they are doing.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:01 am
BC has had a lot of success with that wheel route pass to J. Johnson along the sidelines. He is matched up against the WILL LB and in most cases a guy he can beat one on one.

I assume the play is also designed to draw the FS to another part of the field. This seems like a potential big gain play for the Lions but one that perhaps they shouldn't go to too often, which seems to be exactly what they are doing.
Well designed. Well timed. Well executed. :thup:

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If the Lions can find a way to get the ball to Lumbala the offence will be even better. More for the defence to think about.
CardiacKid
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:38 am
Jones and Buono shaking hands after the game. This is part of the CFL culture that I particularly like. It is a relatively small league. Players change teams. Coaches change teams. Relationships all over the place. Many friendly words after games, especially between players. After avoiding shaking hands initially as a Head Coach, Jones seems to have learned this little lesson anyways.

2017-08-07_0035.png
In chatting with a few of the Rider's fans after the game, the majority acknowledged the team is better but won't be in contention until next year at the earliest. When I asked if Jones will be there to see it, they replied in the nagative with bit of a "meh".
In general, that is the typical response I get from Rider fans in regards to Jones. And it simply isn't based on his results as a coach but how he conducted himself.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:13 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:38 am

2017-08-07_0035.png
In chatting with a few of the Rider's fans after the game, the majority acknowledged the team is better but won't be in contention until next year at the earliest. When I asked if Jones will be there to see it, they replied in the nagative with bit of a "meh".
In general, that is the typical response I get from Rider fans in regards to Jones. And it simply isn't based on his results as a coach but how he conducted himself.
Strange reaction by the fans. The organization goes all in on Jones, but he seems to have lost the fans. The fans will be there. Jones might not be.

The team does not seem to have much spirit. Even Kevin Glenn seems kind of detached. Are the players going through the motions?

This week's game should tell us a lot.

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:34 pm
In fairness to the posters on this board, I don't think anyone here is ready to throw in the towel on Foucault just yet. We realize it's his first year of CFL ball, he's more of a natural tackle than guard, and there were probably unrealistic expectations of him coming in considering who he was traded for.

Still, something had to be done. When D-coordinators around the league tell Farhan Lalji that they're "isolating the left guard," measures had to be taken - especially when you've got a first round draft pick (and a natural guard to boot!) standing around in civvies on game day....

Apparently, Foucault is under concussion protocol, so it's moot. He couldn't have played in Saturday's game regardless.

DH :cool:
I think Wally is more realistic with expectations than fans tend to be. As you pointed out the fact Olafioye was the guy dealt the tolerance or acceptance amongst fans that Foucault may need some adjustment time is next to zero. Wally expects some struggles in the first 6 game. It's how they play for the 2nd 6 and most importantly final 6 that are the real litmus tests.

As for Saturday one thing to consider is the Rider defensive scheme. One thing Rider fans have been lamenting right since the season opener is Jones stubborn insistence on deploying a 3 man rush for the vast majority of plays. While they have many things worth complaining about I'd say that is their top lightning rod.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:34 pm
In fairness to the posters on this board, I don't think anyone here is ready to throw in the towel on Foucault just yet. We realize it's his first year of CFL ball, he's more of a natural tackle than guard, and there were probably unrealistic expectations of him coming in considering who he was traded for.

Still, something had to be done. When D-coordinators around the league tell Farhan Lalji that they're "isolating the left guard," measures had to be taken - especially when you've got a first round draft pick (and a natural guard to boot!) standing around in civvies on game day....

Apparently, Foucault is under concussion protocol, so it's moot. He couldn't have played in Saturday's game regardless.

DH :cool:
I vividly recall an interview with Patrick Kabongo shortly after he arrived with the Leo's after having played with Edmonton for a number of years. The article talked of his struggles with the Esks and how he described his reliance on his size and physicality instead of technique and knowledge. Kabongo was a converted DLineman and unfortunately for him was never really instructed 1-on-1 in the minutiae of being an OLineman.
But upon his arrival, Dorazio began to work with Patrick and teach him how to use his feet and hands, those basic but essential things. Kabongo had a mini-renaissance with the Leo's that surprised many observers who had him projected as a backup at best. When asked about it, Patrick said it was due to Dorazio working with him and giving him those skills.
Now not for a single minute can I lay claim to knowing what has led to Foucault struggling this year but I certainly hope the young man can eventually be a solid starter if not an All-Star. He has been solid in some appearances. Perhaps some time away from being a starter will help with improving those necessary skills but also his mental game (if that is his bête noir at the moment). Travis, once upon a time, was sat out by Wally and by his own admission, it was beneficial to improving his game.
While I am a fan of Jovan, I also want Foucault to succeed as well and enjoy a fruitful career with the Leo's. I hope he is afforded the opportunity to improve his game and fulfill his potential. In many respects, he is still green.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Re the O Line ...

Defensive linemen are strong, slippery and tricky. Lots of moves. Lots of push. Some are like forces of nature. Some are like eels. Some are like greased lightning.

O Linemen are somewhat bigger, less mobile, and they cannot hold. Many of those D Linemen would be difficult to even tackle, like giant running backs, as they drive towards the QB. We can imagine how hard it is to stop their penetration without holding. How to get position. How to lock on. How to keep your balance. How to not get pushed back, as you adjust your position. How to deal with stunts. Not easy.

My point is that pass protection can be difficult to achieve. We all know that. Our guys have faith in Dan Dorazio. We had a very good game against the Riders. Things are looking up.

IMO Steward is very solid. Same with Husband. I have not noticed Fabien as much, but we hear that he has graded very well this year. Right tackle with Palmer seemed steady last game. Left guard with Vaillancourt seemed steady too. We gave up just one sack, although it was against the Riders, a team that seems somewhat dispirited IMO.

This fan has high hopes for Foucault as well. Very highly rated in the draft. Time with three NFL teams, the Panthers, Colts and Dolphins. He made the Panthers squad. Tremendous size. He might be more suited to tackle than guard.

We have made strides in building our National OL depth.

Our D Line looked pretty good against the Riders too. Marshall only gained 28 yards on 5 carries. I thought we had decent pressure on Glenn, with two sacks and a number of hurries.

The Riders, however, might not be much of a yardstick. It is hard to tell sometimes.

We are 5 and 2, with two losses to the Schmos. Not bad. We have an exciting team, loaded with talent and leadership. We have a dedicated, hard working staff. We have hopes.

Every week is a test. Regina this week. Calgary will be a big test in Week 9.

BC 1988
Legend

After watching the pvr of the game, a couple of things:
Awe made a few mistakes after he was one of the late game lineup changes (too bad it might cost him the chance to start on D for awhile, the same thing happened after the WPG game).

Cuthbert related how there have been (mistaken) security alerts at the Lions training facility at 1:30-2am, when it turned out to be Dorazio burning the midnight oil studying tape (on his own).

We know that DD is very dedicated to his trade, and prefers to do his work out of the limelight. (The famous Dean Valli "good girth" quote was something he regretted making, even though it was all in good fun).

When he came on 1040 last week in the wake of blistering criticism following the EDM game, and mentioned possible changes (eg Vaillancourt), that was significant. There are no doubt many factors (and challenges) involved in the way DD prefers to work. He likes to give his strategies more time than outside observers think he should, is perceived as slow to change strategies/personnel, and must work effectively with the rest of the coaching staff (Wally included). All this while juggling the ratio. To me, being successful in the CFL with the added burden of ratio really sets coaching in our game above the American game.

I get frustrated when I see the safety of the most valuable part of the team, the QBs, in jeopardy. The events of the past week are hopefully a step towards reducing that. Sure, it was against a perceived "softer" opponent, but it was still encouraging.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:54 am
CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:09 pm
Though I am still not quite sure what Proulx was explaining with the illegal kickoff? Was it a simple case of the ball not travelling the required distance?
Out of bounds, I believe.
I think he said the Rider player who touched it landed out of bounds so ball to BC.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy