How to Raid Practice Rosters?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Can anyone shed light on how teams can poach players from another's practice roster? I know the Lions did just that when they got Jordan Matechuk from the Riders but I can't think of any other examples off-hand. In the cases of Dillon Guy, Ese Mrabure and Jeremy Zver they declined accepting a spot on the PR before accepting a spot on the Rider roster.

My interest in this has been piqued as I recently saw Dillon Guy sitting on the Rider PR and Qadr Spooner sitting on the Bomber PR.

I know it is not kosher as per the gentleman's agreement of the CFL but screw it, the Riders deserve it and Wally is retiring at the end of the year.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Coles notes: When you pluck somebody from another PR you must immediately place him on your 46. I think in most cases when a team has raided another club's PR it's because they have an immediate need to be filled. If you do it "to screw" somebody else you might just screw yourself.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:08 pm
Coles notes: When you pluck somebody from another PR you must immediately place him on your 46. I think in most cases when a team has raided another club's PR it's because they have an immediate need to be filled. If you do it "to screw" somebody else you might just screw yourself.
Yep, totally agree but in the case of the Riders it would feel so good!!!! :tease:

In the case of Matechuk, he was brought on board when Tim Cronk was having issues with the accuracy of his long snaps. Cronk remained on the roster as he wasn't injured. So at least in the context of that example, the Leo's weren't completely bereft of a long snapper. They simply weren't happy with the service they were getting.

In the case of the OLine, I would hope the brain trust is not happy with the overall service they are getting. Yes, there have been some definite stars (Steward and Husband) but Foucault has been Inconsistent (he has been okay in some games, not an out and out disaster).

I think there is an immediate need with the OLine that would excuse any raiding of offensive lineman from other teams. At least based on the precedent of Matechuk.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

As far as Dillion Guy goes, he was known to be damaged goods on draft day. Wally's plan for him was to sign him to the Practice Roster so he could participate in practices up until his knee swelled up, then rest. This would allow Guy to rehab at his own pace.

Along comes the Riders and presumably offer Guy more money than Wally and then Riders immediately put Guy on the 6-Game Injured List so he could not legally practice at all and Riders do not take any cap hit. Because Guy was healthy enough to do limited practicing I suspect that he was among the group of Rider illegal practice players in 2016 but then that ended after Bo Mitchell's whistle blowing.

In the end Guy's football ability would have grown more rapidly as a Lion, his bank account grow more rapidly as a Rider.

Now that Guy is healthy and on the Riders PR it might have made sense for the Lions to sign him and play him in place of the injured backup Jas Dillion. My take on how Wally operates is that he has no interest in spending time getting revenge on the Riders but he is reluctant to go with a former player who has rejected the team in the past. (also see currently unemployed Ricky Foley. OTOH why has no other team in need of a DE looking at Foley who by now cannot command a high salary but as a vet it would soon be guaranteed?)
Rammer
Team Captain

A Lion PR player has a GVRD rent cost, so even a PR spot on the Riders at equal value puts more coin in his bank account.

The rule is in place to allow teams to have better depth, but in recent years the Lions seemingly lose players that Wally should be able to secure.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:47 pm
A Lion PR player has a GVRD rent cost, so even a PR spot on the Riders at equal value puts more coin in his bank account.

The rule is in place to allow teams to have better depth, but in recent years the Lions seemingly lose players that Wally should be able to secure.
Ratio creates a weird dynamic. Typically 15 or 16 of the 20 INTs on a game roster are starters while 7 or 8 of the 21 NATs are starters you wind up with a situation where most NAT backups reside on the 46 with most INT backups residing on the PR. Typically the mix on the PR is 60/40 or 70/30 INT vs NAT due to the small number of INT backups that can be on the 46. Quite often that INT on the PR goes directly into a starting position when activated whereas the PR NAT player always gets activated into a depth role. It makes it difficult for a team with decent NAT depth to secure NATs who need more development time.
CardiacKid
Legend

OMG! Wally must be lurking on the forum because 3downnation is reporting that the Lions did in fact attempt to get Dillon Guy back from the Riders PR!
:rotf: :wink:

http://3downnation.com/2017/08/08/lions ... nadian-ol/

Apparently though he elected to stay put. His loss.....

I think I just might do a daily visitation of the PRs in the league and post the more intriguing players here for Wally's benefit. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :mac: :mac: :mac: :roar: :roar: :roar:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Dillon Guy by choosing to stay in Regina is giving up playoff money but as others have pointed out, he gets to enjoy cheaper rent in Regina vs Vancouver.

What he is mostly giving up by not coming to BC is a better chance to play due to BCs 4 National starting linemen vs Riders 3 linemen. And Riders have more backup linemen in camp but I guess he must figure that he is ahead of those guys on the Rider depth chart.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

As I've said before teams rarely raid PRs unless they have a pressing immediate need. I was puzzled the other night when Palmer and Johnson were both dressed. Didn't know until after the game that Foucault was under concussion protocol. With Dhillon out and Zver having skipped out BC is down to 5 healthy NAT OL. Barring Foucault being declared fit for this weekend BC needs a ready to play NAT OL now or be prepared to continue dressing 2 INT OL while making ratio adjustments elsewhere. Guy is one who fits the need best; fairly close at hand, supposedly healthy, some knowledge of the team and offence.
CardiacKid
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:51 am
Dillon Guy by choosing to stay in Regina is giving up playoff money but as others have pointed out, he gets to enjoy cheaper rent in Regina vs Vancouver.
Just because its the Jones-led Riders, I wouldn't make the assumption that he pays anything for rent out of his PR wages. Maybe a special little inducement is in place for guys on the Rider's PR to stay put?!?!

Just talking off the top of my head, feeling a little "trolly" this morning....... :tease:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Every player wants to play. Guess Guy thinks he's closer to playing by staying put in Regina than in Vancouver.
Zarquon
Champion

Rammer wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:47 pm

Actually teams are allowed to pay a housing allowance that doesn't count against the cap. If the Lions were willing then that cost to the player could be equalized.

https://cfldb.ca/faq/compensation/#what ... roster-pay
The CFL Practice Agreement (see Appendix I of the CBA) allows the team and player to agree to a weekly salary (not tied to games). The Section 17.02 of the 2014 CBA sets minimum practice roster agreement compensation at $750/week ($15,000 over twenty weeks of regular season) plus housing or housing allowance. Housing or housing allowance is not counted against the salary cap, but practice roster salaries are.

Teams have the option to pay the league minimum or higher (the amount on the standard player contract the player signed to attend training camp), however, by doing so for a practice roster player, the player is entitled to all the benefits of a regular player except post-season compensation as laid out in Section 17.02 of the CBA. It is speculated most full season practice roster players that transfer between the practice and active rosters as injury replacements are under a standard player contract, while players receiving an evaluation for periods up to 4 weeks are under the minimum practice roster agreement. Development players also are likely to receive the minimum practice roster salary.

Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.