CFL Games of Week 6, July 27 - July 29

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Matt Nichols is cool/cold as ice. Same smile before the game. This is just before the Bombers begin their incredible comeback.
2017-07-27_2353.png
I have a new appreciation of him. He can scramble, and, more importantly, he can throw pinpoint passes at any distance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Andrew Harris. Incredible goal line TD with no time left on the clock.

Hit by the first defender at the 3.
2017-07-28_0004.png
Steps over a Bomber blocker, trying to keep his balance, hand on the ground.
2017-07-28_0004_001.png
Absorbing contact from 2 defenders.
2017-07-28_0005.png
Absorbing, moving his feet, adjusting his body, using the contact to stay off the ground.
2017-07-28_0005_001.png
Slipping off defenders, rolling his body over, protecting the ball, reaching the ball over the goal line. Astounding. What he does cannot be taught. It is instinctive, and it is all Andrew.
2017-07-28_0006.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The Kid has some magic.
2017-07-28_0012.png

CardiacKid
Legend

Wow, I can't believe a Noel Thorpe defence would be that passive near the end. Very uncharacteristic. That totally set the table for the Bombers to win.
Not certain Harris made it in but if the footage available to the command centre was the same as what we watched, then I don't think there was enough to overturn. IMO not entirely clear cut he made it in....
Totally rooting for Montreal as the league needs balance and JC has done good with improving the mess left by Popp. Of course I would have loved it if some distance opened up between the Leo's and Bombers :wink:

Oh well......
VictoriaFan
Starter

haven't seen much of Ryan Philips since Montreal played B.C., is it another case of reduced role by an ex Lion thinking they have more to offer past their prime?
Rammer
Team Captain

Phillips was released by Montreal.

I agree innit enough evidence to overturn the Harris TD. What I question though is the helmet to helmet RP call, that was a huge change of field position and a drive stopper. Not sure that it should be called when a QB goes low to take the impact and a defender can't adjust to that unless it's intentional. If I'm a QB I'll get lower on a defender to absorb that contact and hope for hand to the helmet or face mask everytime. At some point that call has to be revised so the QB isn't the beneficiary of a great D play.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:35 am

I agree innit enough evidence to overturn the Harris TD. What I question though is the helmet to helmet RP call, that was a huge change of field position and a drive stopper. Not sure that it should be called when a QB goes low to take the impact and a defender can't adjust to that unless it's intentional. If I'm a QB I'll get lower on a defender to absorb that contact and hope for hand to the helmet or face mask everytime. At some point that call has to be revised so the QB isn't the beneficiary of a great D play.
Sure were a lot of little things the contributed to the Als epic meltdown and that roughing the passer call was near the top.
Loved Chaps' death stare through Logan on the sidelines when he opted to run out of bounds and stopped the clock in what looked like the game clinching TD drive. Twice Montreal RBs opted to go out of bounds on that march.

Also the pathetic tackling on Nichols' scramble to the 4-yard-line. Three guys missed him. Should have been stopped around the 15.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Really surprised that Noel Thorpe went to that prevent defence that allowed the Bombers to play pitch and catch down the field.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:37 am
Rammer wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:35 am

Sure were a lot of little things the contributed to the Als epic meltdown and that roughing the passer call was near the top.
Loved Chaps' death stare through Logan on the sidelines when he opted to run out of bounds and stopped the clock in what looked like the game clinching TD drive. Twice Montreal RBs opted to go out of bounds on that march.

Also the pathetic tackling on Nichols' scramble to the 4-yard-line. Three guys missed him. Should have been stopped around the 15.
Logan has a bit of a history of mental errors as I think running the ball out of the end zone on a kick return instead of a Touchback is what cost him his NFL job. Chaps or Durant should have reminded Logan to stay in bounds but they probably thought he knew enough to stay in bounds without being told. :bang:
pennw
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 pm
Really surprised that Noel Thorpe went to that prevent defence that allowed the Bombers to play pitch and catch down the field.
All teams do it when they feel the situation warrants it . It's not just a BC phenomenon , even Chris Jones loves prevent D , just check with Riderfans on that .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

pennw wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:20 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 pm
All teams do it when they feel the situation warrants it . It's not just a BC phenomenon , even Chris Jones loves prevent D , just check with Riderfans on that .
The Lions were supposed to have 4 DBs deep in the first Edmonton game when Zylstra caught the bomb to set up the winning FG. That game might have turned out differently if they hadn't blown the coverage.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Saskatchewan and Toronto tied 17-17 at the half. Game marked the return of former Rider head coach Cory Chamblin.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Johnny Sears with the bonehead play of the year. Oh well Riders come to BC Place with momentum.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Riders win 38-27. Kevin Glenn had an outstanding tossing 4 touchdowns. Saskatchewan defence sacked Ricky Ray 5 times.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:27 pm
Johnny Sears with the bonehead play of the year. Oh well Riders come to BC Place with momentum.
Should have touched the receiver forcing the Riders to punt. Riders made them pay