Injury Updates for 6/28/17

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

pennw wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:56 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:39 am
(He could still be the key to a ratio switch that would allow the Lions to play four international receivers but Wally seems to value his backup American defensive ends more than he values Nick Moore.)

Lions welcome ‘new guy’ Williams
Could this be because the DE's are more useful on special teams than a fourth receiver ?
I think that you are 100% correct. The Lions could easily start Forde on the D line with Menard and Luke as backup/relief guys and then have Iannuzzi become a veteran backup at all receiver positions, something that Wally favours.

That fixes the 7 starting Nationals issue. However Chris Williams would still need to bump an International player off the roster, likely a D lineman who also contributes on Special Teams. So yeah there is the problem.
Blitz
Team Captain

|I would love to see us go with four International recievers. Moore is too good to sit. But our offence has been much better than our defense so I understand Buono wanting to emphasize defense.

However, do we really need to have four International defensive ends....Evans, Roh, Shirley and Hudson on the field. Evans and Shirley can alternate at the field side defensive end position while Roh and Menard alternate on the boundary side.

With Brooks and Forde inside and Luke rotating its all we need and we could add Moore to the offensive lineup. Shaq Johnson and Iannuzzi could rotate into the fifth receiver spot, depending upon when we want a possession receiver or deep speed.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:46 pm
|I would love to see us go with four International recievers. Moore is too good to sit. But our offence has been much better than our defense so I understand Buono wanting to emphasize defense.

However, do we really need to have four International defensive ends....Evans, Roh, Shirley and Hudson on the field. Evans and Shirley can alternate at the field side defensive end position while Roh and Menard alternate on the boundary side.

With Brooks and Forde inside and Luke rotating its all we need and we could add Moore to the offensive lineup. Shaq Johnson and Iannuzzi could rotate into the fifth receiver spot, depending upon when we want a possession receiver or deep speed.
Putting Williams on the roster means taking another International off the roster, so if Moore stays on the roster along with Williams then I guess Bryant Turner Jr. comes off the roster and then the 4 INT DE can stay on the roster for Special Teams play. Or perhaps one of the DE like Hudson or Shirley go off the roster.

In the end Wally seems to be against have a starting NAT on the D line. :towel:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Jason Botchford delves deeper into the Chris Williams debate. While signs point to Nick Moore being benched, Wally wouldn't speculate on what might happen in two weeks when Williams comes of the 6-game injured list, especially with Manny Arceneaux currently banged up and sitting out practice.
We’re not going to worry about that until we have to do it,” Buono said. “Things change week to week. I don’t want to get into ‘What if, what if, what if.’

“We went after quality receivers. We wanted to put a quality product on the field. And by doing that, there are going to be times when someone has to sit.”
Wally also stressed that Williams will be used as a second kick returner.
“Everyone always looks at the obvious,” Buono said. “He gives you a lot of things as a receiver but he also gives you another returner.

“I’m waiting for the day when both (Williams and Chris Rainey) are back there catching kicks. They want to kick way from (Rainey)? That’s fine. They want to kick away from (Williams)? That’s fine, too. One of the Chris’s is going to hurt them.”
Williams wants to add greatness to Lions’ superb receiving game

Using Williams regularly on special teams would likely require him to take a lesser role on offence, much as Rainey does. And that opens the door further to having a fourth international receiver in the lineup. I don't expect Wally to see it that way, though. Williams, Rainey and Moore are not going to cover kicks and hit hit people so Wally's four backup defensive linemen will probably all stay in the lineup.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:32 pm
Blitz wrote:

Putting Williams on the roster means taking another International off the roster, so if Moore stays on the roster along with Williams then I guess Bryant Turner Jr. comes off the roster and then the 4 INT DE can stay on the roster for Special Teams play. Or perhaps one of the DE like Hudson or Shirley go off the roster.

I am quoting myself here because I now think I used the wrong Smilie. That waving the towel, I thought it was trowing in the towel. As in just about everyone thinks Wally should start a NATIONAL on the D line except Wally, ...so it ain't happening. :bang:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:32 pm
Blitz wrote:

Max Forde started last game and I believe Turner was one of the 2 on the 46 who didn't dress. Burnett was the other one who didn't suit up. Really there is only one option to allow them to dress 4 international receivers and that is to reduce the 5 INT DL/ST number to 4. I'm sure Wally is running all options through his mind but not too worried about coming to a conclusion until after Friday's game. Football being the game it is it's entirely likely an injury somewhere could make the decision for him.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.