Injury Updates for 6/28/17

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Wally was on 3 Down Radio tonight with Scotty, Giulio, and LU.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/3-down-ra ... h-1.790802

Said Kelvin Palmer's ankle is still a little tender, so we're likely to see Antonio Johnson at RT again. Didn't throw him under the bus, just said he needs to cut down on the holding penalties (Wally didn't agree with on of the holding calls).

Swayze Waters will travel to Toronto and will be a game time decision. Both kickers travelling, both will take the warm-ups at BMO and Wally wait right up until game time to make the decision.

Any bets we see some 2-point convert attempts this week if we score a major??

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Thanks, David. Any word on other roster moves on the O-line and in the secondary?
David
Team Captain

Here you go, B.C.FAN:

* No definitive word on the O-line, but I am assuming it's status quo. Wally shielded the unit from criticism to some extent (said Foucault was the only one who didn't give up a sack).

* Purifoy didn't do anything to "get you excited," which is I believe how Wally phrased it. Said his play has to measured over a season (meaning don't expect any changes). Thought he showed good range. Also praised him for a hit that caused a fumble (I only recall the Fenner hit on the punt returner so you guys will have to refresh me on that one). Liked Fenner's play.

* Has seen a difference between this week's preparation than last week's.

* Blamed the busted coverage on the Reilly-Zylstra long bomb to 'miscommunication.' Said we were supposed to have 5 men deep in the secondary. Esks went in motion from 3 receivers on the boundary to 3 receivers (in motion) to the field. Instead of being in the deep corner right on the hash, he said "one of the players" (Thompson?) was flat-footed and Reilly's not going to miss a wide open receiver.

* Increased the # of D-linemen to get bigger and more physical on Special Teams. Overall, Wally thought unit was good against the run and aggressive but wanted more hits on the QB. Still, he praised the Esks' O-line in changing their protections, and said that Reilly gets rid of the ball quickly.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:58 am
Here you go, B.C.FAN:

* No definitive word on the O-line, but I am assuming it's status quo. Wally shielded the unit from criticism to some extent (said Foucault was the only one who didn't give up a sack).

* Purifoy didn't do anything to "get you excited," which is I believe how Wally phrased it. Said his play has to measured over a season (meaning don't expect any changes). Thought he showed good range. Also praised him for a hit that caused a fumble (I only recall the Fenner hit on the punt returner so you guys will have to refresh me on that one). Liked Fenner's play.

* Has seen a difference between this week's preparation than last week's.

* Blamed the busted coverage on the Reilly-Zylstra long bomb to 'miscommunication.' Said we were supposed to have 5 men deep in the secondary. Esks went in motion from 3 receivers on the boundary to 3 receivers (in motion) to the field. Instead of being in the deep corner right on the hash, he said "one of the players" (Thompson?) was flat-footed and Reilly's not going to miss a wide open receiver.

* Increased the # of D-linemen to get bigger and more physical on Special Teams. Overall, Wally thought unit was good against the run and aggressive but wanted more hits on the QB. Still, he praised the Esks' O-line in changing their protections, and said that Reilly gets rid of the ball quickly.

Thanks, David. It looks like we can expect no major personnel changes this week, and Wally wants to give the position groups time to play together and gel. That can be a tough task if Ricky Ray plays like he did last week.

Wally is right about Purifoy's forced fumble. It wasn't recorded in the game stats but he separated Zylstra from the ball after a second-quarter catch when Zylstra beat Lee deep. Zylstra recovered the ball for a 34-yard gain. The Lions challenged that it should have been an incomplete pass but the command centre ruled (correctly) that Zylstra had possession and took a few steps with the ball before he was hit by Purifoy. That play set up the Esks' first touchdown just before halftime.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not sure about Buono's comment that it was "miscommunication" that resulted in the Zlystra's long completion. Edmonton coaches were saying in the post game that it's the coverage
CardiacKid
Legend

Farhan is reporting Zver has been released and been offered a PR spot. Look for him to be plucked by another team.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

About being plucked from the PR: Question: is the player completely at the mercy of whichever team wants him? Or is it the player's option? i.e. can he decline and say, no thanks, I prefer to stay on the PR with my familiar team. (?) I can see where that might be preferred in certain instances. Although the assurance of being on another team's active roster would usually be welcomed.
CardiacKid
Legend

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:34 pm
About being plucked from the PR: Question: is the player completely at the mercy of whichever team wants him? Or is it the player's option? i.e. can he decline and say, no thanks, I prefer to stay on the PR with my familiar team. (?) I can see where that might be preferred in certain instances. Although the assurance of being on another team's active roster would usually be welcomed.
I believe in the case of Dillon Guy and Ese Mrabure, they were offered PR spots, refused and then were available to the Riders. For Mrabure I think he was not prepared to spend any more time on the PR so when the Riders came, they offered an active roster spot and he took it.
If memory serves me right, our previous long-snapper Jordan Matechuk, was "taken" from the Riders practice roster and went on the active roster. I would hope the player has some say in the proceedings.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:32 pm
Not sure about Buono's comment that it was "miscommunication" that resulted in the Zlystra's long completion. Edmonton coaches were saying in the post game that it's the coverage
Gaitor didn't get back into his deep zone. Thompson and other were pointing their fingers at him after the play. Purifoy had picked up Bowman on a deep route on the other side of the field and couldn't get across to help out. That's what happens when you have three guys who haven't played together.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Thought I'd sneak this in here on this thread since it's on topic (injuries), but a month later...
Video interview with Chris Williams -- after his first full practice Monday July 24, with the potential of playing next game (or at least that's how Matt Baker has interpreted it).
If so, it's very exciting . Yet, if he enters stage right, who exits stage left? Could be an interesting shuffle -- and I know various possibilities have already been discussed in this forum, so we shall see. He plays maybe, maybe not. And so I wonder will it perhaps skew the offensive team chemistry, and see our offence go through a period of adjustment. If Chris does return to the field of play, here's hoping it's painless for the entire unit.
https://www.bclions.com/2017/07/24/will ... get-there/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Williams has to sit out one more game before he comes off the 6-game injured list. He is allowed to practise now with the team. Wally made it clear to Lowell Ullrich today that Williams will take the place of Nick Moore on the roster when he comes back, as originally planned at training camp. Wally rejected the idea of keeping Moore in the lineup and playing four import receivers, as many of us have wanted to see.

LU also noted that Anthony Gaitor and Tony Burnett were back among the defensive starters and Maxx Forde remained with the starters after his impressive performance on Friday. (He could still be the key to a ratio switch that would allow the Lions to play four international receivers but Wally seems to value his backup American defensive ends more than he values Nick Moore.)

Lions welcome ‘new guy’ Williams
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:39 am
Williams has to sit out one more game before he comes off the 6-game injured list. He is allowed to practise now with the team. Wally made it clear to Lowell Ullrich today that Williams will take the place of Nick Moore on the roster when he comes back, as originally planned at training camp. Wally rejected the idea of keeping Moore in the lineup and playing four import receivers, as many of us have wanted to see.

LU also noted that Anthony Gaitor and Tony Burnett were back among the defensive starters and Maxx Forde remained with the starters after his impressive performance on Friday. (He could still be the key to a ratio switch that would allow the Lions to play four international receivers but Wally seems to value his backup American defensive ends more than he values Nick Moore.)
Well, there's a classic good news/crappy news situation, eh? It gives me the blues hearing Nick will be shuffled off the active roster. That's gotta' be a hard pill to swallow for the guy, especially given what he's done for us (even if, as LU reports, Nick got that big hug from the little guy!). Yet we must see what Mr. Williams can do for us soon as he comes available. So I'll sure be hoping that Wally isn't inflexible regarding this matter of four internationals on the long run.

Ah, but I'm extremely pleased about Maxx Forde remaining with the defensive starters! That's good news through and through. That just made my day. He's waited long enough, and he's more than deserving. BCF, thanks for the LU link.
maxlion
Legend

Between Williams, Arseneaux and Burnham, you have 3 potential gamebreakers who each bring something unique to the table. Moore has exceeded expectations so far, but his style is similar to Burnham. Having all 4 on the field at once would be a luxury, but not sure it is worth downgrading in another area. Tough decision and tough break for Moore. I suspect he'll have another chance to get on the field this year.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Max Forde earned being with the first team. He played well in his last start.
pennw
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:39 am
(He could still be the key to a ratio switch that would allow the Lions to play four international receivers but Wally seems to value his backup American defensive ends more than he values Nick Moore.)

Could this be because the DE's are more useful on special teams than a fourth receiver ?