Eskimos vs. Lions June 24, 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The B.C. Lions 2017 season opener is here, and it's a battle of two of the CFL's top offences. B.C.'s offence looks just as strong as last year's, if not stronger with the return from injury of Nick Moore, who moves from slotback to boundary wideout until Chris Williams comes off the 6-game injured list. Jonathon Jennings can be expected to build on his breakout 2016 season, in which he threw for 5,226 yard, with 27 TDs, ranking third in yards behind Edmonton's Mike Reilly and Calgary's Bo Levi Mitchell. He has resolved to cut down on his league-leading 15 interceptions, several of which were late game-changers.

The key to the game is which defence will do a better job of shutting down the opposing offence. For B.C., the key word to describe the 2017 defence is change. Wally Buono has been quick to make changes on a defence that led the league in many categories last year but lost DE Alex Bazzie and LB Adam Bighill to NFL tryouts and proved too vulnerable to the deep pass and had a league-low 9 interceptions. The wide side of the secondary has been rebuilt, not just since last season but, uncharacteristically for a Wally Buono team, from the start of training camp. Loucheiz Purifoy starts at safety despite having no previous experience at the position, while impressive second-year DB Anthony Gaitor plays field halfback and second-year DB Anthony Thompson plays field corner and is the only national starter on defence.

Altogether, the B.C. starting defence features 5 changes from the start of training camp: Purifoy, Gaitor and Thompson in the secondary, Tony Burnett at Bighill's old WILL position and second-year DB Chandler Fenner at Purifoy's old nickelback position. The defensive line, by contrast, is unchanged from the start of training camp, with Craig Roh and free agent DeQuin Evans at ends and veterans Mic'hael Brooks and Bryant Turner Jr. inside.

B.C.'s starting offence has only 3 changes from the start of training camp: Moore and Shaq Johnson as wide receivers and David Foucault starts ahead of Charles Vaillancourt at left guard.

The key to the game, and to B.C.'s season, will be how well the overhauled secondary comes together. On paper, this defence should be faster and more aggressive than the 2016 version. They'll get a big test against Mike Reilly and the likes of receiver Adarius Bowman.

Here is the Lions' depth chart and roster for the opener.
David
Team Captain

This is like Christmas Eve for me. One more sleep 'til the season opener!!!

Did anyone catch Benny on TSN1040 yesterday? Heart (worn on sleeve) still firmly entrenched in BC. Said he still dearly loves his guys like Solly and Manny but there are some he doesn't have the time of day for, which I thought was an odd bit of info to volunteer.

When pressed, he said something about giving people the opportunity to get jobs and how quickly they forget, character reveals itself over time etc (I took this to mean one of his hires? Was Mark Washington hired by Benny? Is there bad blood between the two?).

As for the game, I would NOT be surprised to see Benny bring the heat on JJ. I think the prevailing sentiment is that his short game isn't as strong (check downs and shorter routes). Said his player to watch is Adam Konar (son of Leos great Kevin Konar) at WILL linebacker. Earned the spot out of camp. They also have 300lb defensive tackle Da'Quan Bowers who was taken 51st overall in the 2011 NFL draft by Tampa Bay.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:13 pm
When pressed, he said something about giving people the opportunity to get jobs and how quickly they forget, character reveals itself over time etc (I took this to mean one of his hires? Was Mark Washington hired by Benny? Is there bad blood between the two?).
I can't see Benny having anything bad to say about Washington. Washington is an ex-Lion player who has been on the coaching staff for 10 years and was promoted to DC by Benny in 2014. I always found the two to be much alike in character and philosophy, and both are close to Wally.

To my knowledge, the only current Lion coach who was first hired by Benny is Khari Jones.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I hope they open the roof tomorrow night despite Buono's desire to have it closed.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:36 pm
I hope they open the roof tomorrow night despite Buono's desire to have it closed.
The roof will be open. That was announced yesterday, based on the weekend forecast of hot, sunny weather.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I couldn't help noticing from the roster that Wally is only using 6 of 10 available Practice Roster spots and has an uncharacteristic 9 guys on the one game Injured List. Last year's PR shopping spree by Chris Jones wouldn't have anything to do with this, would it? :wink:
pennw
Legend

Looks like 9 DL on the game day roster . I can't recall ever having that many before . So where did they cut to make up for that ? Only 7 OL seems abit skimpy to me .
The one questionable selection to me is Shaq Murry Lawrence , the guy hasn't contributed anything to the team since he got here . A waste of a roster spot IMO.
I know some on here question Marco Ianuzzi being on the roster , but the guy played very well last week. I think his lack of contribution in the past has been more a case of not being used properly as opposed to a lack of capability . He's always been put way off to the outside where lots of balls have gone way over his head . He has never a case of the dropsies anymore than any other receiver . His play last week showed he can catch over the middle right between defenders no problem .
Looking forward to the game . :beer:
pennw
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:01 pm
I couldn't help noticing from the roster that Wally is only using 6 of 10 available Practice Roster spots and has an uncharacteristic 9 guys on the one game Injured List. Last year's PR shopping spree by Chris Jones wouldn't have anything to do with this, would it? :wink:
You may be right about that Dano . It would not surprise me to see Jones do some more poaching if given the opportunity . It may well some astute maneuvering by Wally . I see Jeremy Zver is being protected too , on the the one game .
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:13 pm
Did anyone catch Benny on TSN1040 yesterday? Heart (worn on sleeve) still firmly entrenched in BC. Said he still dearly loves his guys like Solly and Manny but there are some he doesn't have the time of day for, which I thought was an odd bit of info to volunteer.

Intrigue in the palace, Wally's royal court.

When this fan was a little closer to the action, one recalls Benny and Jacques evaluating their chances at succession to the top job. JC clearly thought Benny had the inside track. Mark W might have been perceived as a threat at the top by Benny.

Who knows? But most organizations have some kind of intrigue, infighting and jockeying for position going on.

We will have to wait for Bob Woodward's account of Wally's years for the inside scoop. :wink:

If Woodward is working on a Trump Palace expose, that will be something.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

pennw wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:22 pm
Looks like 9 DL on the game day roster . I can't recall ever having that many before . So where did they cut to make up for that ? Only 7 OL seems abit skimpy to me .
The one questionable selection to me is Shaq Murry Lawrence , the guy hasn't contributed anything to the team since he got here . A waste of a roster spot IMO.
I know some on here question Marco Ianuzzi being on the roster , but the guy played very well last week. I think his lack of contribution in the past has been more a case of not being used properly as opposed to a lack of capability . He's always been put way off to the outside where lots of balls have gone way over his head . He has never a case of the dropsies anymore than any other receiver . His play last week showed he can catch over the middle right between defenders no problem .
Looking forward to the game . :beer:
It is the 46 man roster so I am guessing that come game day the 2 players that are not dressing will be the 9th D lineman and Murray-Lawrence.
David
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:32 pm

When this fan was a little closer to the action, one recalls Benny and Jacques evaluating their chances at succession to the top job. JC clearly thought Benny had the inside track. Mark W might have been perceived as a threat at the top by Benny.

Who knows? But most organizations have some kind of intrigue, infighting and jockeying for position going on.

We will have to wait for Bob Woodward's account of Wally's years for the inside scoop. :wink:

Here's the interview if you want to give it a listen, WCJ. Benny is always an upbeat straight-up interview; very personable. That part kind of took me by surprise, is all. :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:45 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:36 pm
The roof will be open. That was announced yesterday, based on the weekend forecast of hot, sunny weather.
Thank God! If it were to stay closed with the temperatures we are expecting, I can"t be held responsible for any heat and humidity-induced ravings or general inappropriate behaviour.
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:49 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:

Here's the interview if you want to give it a listen, WCJ. Benny is always an upbeat straight-up interview; very personable. That part kind of took me by surprise, is all. :wink:

I'm no fan of Benny or "Benny Bumps' either so I will defer on commenting on his interview due to major bias.

Interesting developments with our Leos - the move inside of Facault and into a starting position with no experience at guard, the recent move of Purifoy to safety and Fenner as our staring nickel back and expensive free agent Waters hurt at this point of the season.

Wally has gotten smarter this year and is not exposing players he values to the practice roster and is instead hiding them on the one game injury list.

I like our defense overall this season. We're young, fast and aggressive in the defensive backfield. I really like Clarke so disappointed we could not find a roster spot for him but am pleased that Gaitor got a starting spot.

I was hoping to see Smiley at defensive end. He could dress for this game.

Two dynamic offences. Defense will be the key. I hope our style of defense has changed. Benny's defense will depend on his front four. If we can block them, I like our chances.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:49 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:

I agree, David. Benny is an upbeat guy. My comment was supportive of your notion of Benny suggesting some darker issues between people when he was here. Stuff happens in organizations. Wally pretty much has had an empire. People struggle for position within empires and organizations. Even a great guy like Benny will not be happy with every co-worker or player. People put their own ambitions ahead of other peoples' goals. Disloyalty can be perceived.

Re his interview ...

Sekeres refers later to the "wound" Benny suffered on his dismissal.

From Benny's point of view, the wound was definitely not from Wally, but from ... ?

Benny ...

Pain from his dismissal here.

""People forget. You give them opportunities for jobs. They forget.'' Players or staff?

"... some other guys that I don't have the time of day for.''

My hunch/reading on it, following the way he presented it, is that Benny is thinking of players, not staff. Dunno. But there was something there.

As noted, even a great guy like Benny has had work relations (players and staff) that can leave bad feelings.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
pennw
Legend

So it seems most of our draft picks actually made the first game day roster for a change.