Eskimos vs. Lions June 24, 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ravi
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:38 am
The official attendance at cfl.ca was 19,175. There were a lot of no-shows, as there always are in summer. I thought there were about 14,000 people in the building.
Interestingly enough, there were 19,176 at the playoff game last season and the stadium looked much fuller than it did last night with one fewer person officially in attendance.
Don Miller
Legend

:dizzy: Just watched the replay this morning. Where was the O line most of the net? Getting beat like a drum. Purify and Thompson terrible. How can you let a receiver get that wide open down the seam? Our defensive line only got to Reilly maybe twice. Long was terrible on converts and put the one kick in the end zone instead of pinning Edmonton deep in their end. Willis had a monster game as Fabian once again proves he is less than a stellar blocker. I realize this is only game One. Ray loves to throw deep so our b's had better be a lot better on Friday. Jennings escapability made the O line look better than they were. Time to take a look once again at Parker and Clarke back at their positions.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
CardiacKid
Legend

Matt Baker wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:06 am
Well, what can we say? For all the hype the offseason generated we still knew this division would be a beast once again. Credit to the Eskimos. My post game report from bclions.com below. And to the above poster asking if it was Thompson's first start, I want t say he had one in Montreal last year when Mike Edem was hurt.

https://www.bclions.com/2017/06/24/roar ... mos-lions/
A big chunk of that hype was generated by the team itself. Don't over-sell to only under-perform. Don't say the team will acquit itself in such a manner on the field only to over tinker and fiddle-fart around with your lineup.
If I sound needlessly pissy, so be it; I will wear that hat. But right now I feel like we were sold a pig in a poke.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:43 pm

While you're being Dutch, could you please clarify to everyone how the names of former Lion Jamie Buis and former Canuck Dan Hamhuis should be pronounced? Because I'm pretty sure I have never heard either of them pronounced correctly in any media.
Sorry fellows – mostly off topic – just taking quick care of a sidebar question from Coast Mountain Lion regards pronunciation of Dutch surnames: (e.g. Buis & Hamhuis). Actually, need to do this to distract me from further fretting about the play and coaching of our Leos. (I swear I wore out my pair of wooden shoes last night, pacing and pacing!)

Caveat—I’m no linguist, plus my grandparents spoke a particular dialect: However, considering there are the various Dutch dialects to sort through, and also varying family preferences (for instance degree of name-Anglicization since immigration)—there’s no definitive answer. And I’m guessing you’d get different answers even from within the same extended family.

I’ll venture this much however; In the case of surname Hamhuis, with the second syllable (huis) being a very common Dutch noun, (i.e. for “house”) – the pronunciation I’m familiar with for that word is “hoose” – i.e rhymes with moose and loose. But that’s not a universal answer, for the reasons I’ve just offered. There are dialects that would render it more like “Ham - Hoys”. You’d have to ask the individual what they want from you.

As to Buis – I’m not familiar with it other than of course through Jamie B. of our Leos. However I’m informed (nifty online research—ha ha) the true and proper Dutch pronunciation rhymes with mouse and louse.) But who’s to say, eh? In the end you simply ask the particular family member how he/she prefers it. That’s what media guys should always do, for sure.

And now... back to more wooden-shoe pacing! Damn! What a disappointment! That "banquet of riches" that the coaching staff has on the roster-table -- they just poked about at it, in some scatterbrained way, as if unaware how to serve it up to the hungry fans. Pissed away. But, that said, some of the players need to get a brain. I'm talking to you Adrian Clarke!
pennw
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:38 am
CardiacKid wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:31 am

As for the Oline, would folks say one side had a harder go? Johnson and Fabien or Foucault and Steward? Husband had some low snaps that didn't help matters either.
The left side of the O-line is much stronger than the right side, as it was last year. Hunter Steward and Cody Husband are the keys to the success of this line. I didn't notice any mistakes from Foucault.

On the right side, Antonio Johnson took two penalties on one B.C. drive in the first half, taking the Lions out of scoring position and nullifying a big pass to Moore.

Kirby Fabien was the real problem. After watching the PVR, it was apparent that he was beaten for at least three sacks. Another sack was a delayed blitz by Adam Konar. Fabien had blocked a D-lineman, then turned his back to the line to look at Jonathon Jennings when Konar shot past him. Chris Burns was ruthless in his criticism of Fabien after the game. He said Fabien shouldn't be drawing a fat paycheque for the way he plays. He been watching Fabien for five years and every time he watches him Fabien is bad.
So perhaps we may see Vallaincourt take over the RG spot then?
Ballistic Bob
Legend

A lot of low snaps. JJ was for ever looking down and then had to find his recievers. I think Cody has some splaining to do. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 pm
A lot of low snaps. JJ was for ever looking down and then had to find his recievers. I think Cody has some splaining to do. BB
Yes, and that could account for some of the timing problems between Jennings and the receivers. The half second it takes to bend down and scoop up the low snap is time that isn't spent reading the coverages and hitting the receivers coming out of their breaks. It can also lead to more QB pressures and sacks.

The Eskimos had the B.C. offence well scouted. Arceneaux was double and triple teamed most of the night, and the intermediate zones that are the Lions' bread and butter with Jennings, Arcneneaux and Burnham were well defended. That forced the Lions to attack the edges more than normal, with passes to Moore and Iannuzzi, screens to Jeremiah Johnson and releases by Rainey into the flats. Moore was the Lions' most effective receiver. Shaq Johnson was targeted twice but didn't have a catch.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Ravi wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:35 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:38 am
The official attendance at cfl.ca was 19,175. There were a lot of no-shows, as there always are in summer. I thought there were about 14,000 people in the building.
Interestingly enough, there were 19,176 at the playoff game last season and the stadium looked much fuller than it did last night with one fewer person officially in attendance.
I think the "Official attendance" is the number of tickets sold so that number includes season ticket holders who this time of year don't go to games and can't find someone to take the tickets off their hands.